Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vw pancake motor should i sell
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeonwulph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

I have a pancake motor that’s been sitting in the rain for awhile it’s in a dune buggy currently but I was wondering if it would be worth it to sell it or should I just scrap it
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

Sell it or give it away to someone who needs it.

Whenever I cant use something I give it away. Vw people need that kind of stuff like that more than the scrap yard do. A vw engine only weighs 300ish lbs so that's like 10 bucks from the scrap yard.

But then again, it is yours, and you can do whatever you wish.

Vw engines also make auxilerating bon fires.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aeonwulph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

Alrighty any idea if I were to sell it how much it would be
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

List it on facebook marketplace or HERE on the samba. Does it turn over?

If not, then 75ish

If it turns over, then 125ish

If it runs, 300-500ish

Also, welcome to the samba
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aeonwulph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

Thanks so much man
Aeonwulph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

Also how would I go about checking if it turns over/ runs
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

Take spark plugs out. Put a socket over the pulley nut. Put car in nuetral. If it turns over rough or not at all. STOP.

Rust in the cylinders will scrape the pistons which is a no no.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

Stop working on it! you're just increasing the price.

Wink
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Stop working on it! you're just increasing the price.

Wink

Next thing you know it'll be completely dissasembled laying on the bench. Happens everytime Smile
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

Pancake, what type Type 3 or Type 4 or the type you put Butter and Maple syrup on ??

Ok serious. T-4's are getting quite rare after all these years. If it is a T-4 hit some T-4 sites and not just the Bug and Bus and Ghia sites

go for 914 912 411 and 412 may want it even for spare parts.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

If it’s a T4, be sure save at least the case. Cases are a limited quantity. Good ones are still relatively cheap, but they won’t be around forever. Same with fans and blower housings.

If you part it out...

There is a pretty high demand for 1700 rockers as well with the 8mm adjuster threads (used with Mahle-Wisemann Porsche 911 adjusters).

If it’s a 1700 or 1800, save the rods and crank if you can. No real value in the stock 2.0 crank or rods though due to the aftermarket.

Someone will probably pick the whole thing up for a core and save what they want.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

That engine is worth 0 if the case is rotted out. If your gonna see if it turns over, you may as well remove the oil plate and feel and or look around. If the cam gear or oil hole opening is rotted, sell it as a parts engine and make sure the buyer knows its rotten.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
That engine is worth 0 if the case is rotted out. If your gonna see if it turns over, you may as well remove the oil plate and feel and or look around. If the cam gear or oil hole opening is rotted, sell it as a parts engine and make sure the buyer knows its rotten.

IF it's a type IV, they don't rot the same as type I's...

Even a rotted case typeI has some value---OG head studs. nut washers, various length 8mm studs, misc hardware..
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

I've never opened up a case that was rotted that didnt have rotted heads. And that's been all of them.

Again, if that were the case, the OP would have to dissasemble the whole engine just about to figure that out.

Modok gave the best answer imo
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

What makes you think it is not usable in your Buggy? If it is complete with air cleaners, exhaust system etc. the rain may not have harmed anything of consequence.

Type 3 engines around here are as scarce as hen's teeth. Pretty sure some type 3 guy needs it for bits and pieces even if nothing internal is usable

If it's a type 4 engine do not throw it away!

Post a picture.

Where in Canada are you? I would take it if it's within reasonable driving distance. Unless it's an early 1500 type 3 that is... single carb, then only the tinwork is of interest.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

Alfter all our replys and not hearing from him I checked his number of posts.

Total 4. Maybe he is a newbe and thinks any VW Flat engine is a Pancake.

I know My relatives from Sicily on a visit told me they were driving a Jeep .

Wait for them to pass were I was waiting and then I followed a Jeep for a few miles till we both stopped at a light.

It was not them, what the!! Their son said they call SUV's Jeeps.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

I left this engine sitting out in the rain and now I want top dollar for it Rolling Eyes
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

Pop the valve covers. If rusty, the value is $0.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
I left this engine sitting out in the rain and now I want top dollar for it Rolling Eyes

At no time did he say or even infer that! Did you even read his first post?

cbeck wrote:
Pop the valve covers. If rusty, the value is $0.

Not true!

I would give him $40 just for the generator, tins, thermostat and hardware. I would up that to $150 if the dual carbs and distributor are usable. And that would be a bargain, I just paid $150 + shipping for a thermostat.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vw pancake motor should i sell Reply with quote

out in the rain...how stupid. it may or may not have a $20 part in it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: