Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hook your own tow bar up!!!
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Hook your own tow bar up!!! Reply with quote

My Trail Rail is street legal and capable of keeping up with any traffic up to over 100mph but sometimes, I like to tow it to the area that I'm going to be exploring in. But getting the tow bar hitch hooked onto the ball is a serious pain in the rear end because usually, I'm doing it by myself. The biggest problem is not being able to see the hitch. My little old truck doesn't have a rear view camera. If I try to drive the Rail up to the hitch, I still can't see the hitch because the spare tire on the nose is in the way! If I try to pull or push the Rail buggy into place, it either rolls to far back or forwards. AAARRRGGG!!!

So I built a device to help me. I call it my Remote Eyeball! I bought a cheap back up camera off of Fleabay. Then I mounted it on an Aluminum stalk so it looks down on the hitch. The monitor is stuck to my windshield with a suction cup. I attach a rope to the hitch so I can hold it up as I'm maneuvering the Rail buggy into place. Then I just drop the hitch and it slips over the ball. Perfect!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's kind of hard to see because of the sun but you can see the hitch on the monitor.

Once it's all hooked up, I pop off the suction cup monitor and the Eyeball stalk clamp and put it all in the bag out of the way.

This is the area that we went to. It's fairly rough and has a lot of mines and such. It's pretty interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: