Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Loving it!! Applause Applause Applause

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
All this work for a single body.

I would have built two bodies, because it's much easier to repeat each process than to start over from scratch. (Plus, you learn from the first one, and the second one goes quicker.)

In the end you would have two identical bodies, and the second one could be sold to help finance the project.

i am with you. It seems downright crazy to do all that work, and pay for all that work, and not make another body. I bet there are a couple of museums and private collectors who would want a correct body. Same thing for the interior, seats, springs, upholstery, etc. How do you convince somebody to do all this work for just one car.

this one will always be the first one, and it will also be the only one with a correct VIN.
I would love to see a convoy of these going down the autobahn....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

I think the Grundmanns know exactly what they are doing.

They have the only known surviving vw30 frame so they will have the most accurate rebodied VW30 when they are done. Why would they want to build another body for someone else to stick on a regular VW pan?

It would cost twice as much to build two bodies, and take twice as long. As has been mentioned, extra shop space would also be required.

I don't really buy the "economies of scale" argument on a hand built car. If they were building press tools to make all the body panels, then yes, it would be insane to build only one body. Building a body by hand is completely different so building the second one is going to cost almost the same as the first one. The tenth one would cost the same as the first one.

I for one and very glad they are sharing this build with us.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
I think the Grundmanns know exactly what they are doing.

They have the only known surviving vw30 frame so they will have the most accurate rebodied VW30 when they are done. Why would they want to build another body for someone else to stick on a regular VW pan?

It would cost twice as much to build two bodies, and take twice as long. As has been mentioned, extra shop space would also be required.

I don't really buy the "economies of scale" argument on a hand built car. If they were building press tools to make all the body panels, then yes, it would be insane to build only one body. Building a body by hand is completely different so building the second one is going to cost almost the same as the first one. The tenth one would cost the same as the first one.

I for one and very glad they are sharing this build with us.

i don't think i disagree with you in any way.

All i am saying is that it would be easy, and absolutely cheaper to build another body. I am not suggesting the Grundmanns should pay for a second body. They won't be needing it.

i was also thinking of all the interior stuff that needs to be made. cloth that needs to be commissioned, etc. Making 5 times or 10 times the materials may be the difference between getting it made at all, or not at all.

And, yes, i think we all are happy to see this done in the first place.

i think the prototype museum in hamburg would be a great place to display a 2nd body. Maybe even a "cut model".

maybe the VW museum, if they can afford it.

How about sticking one in the petersen or such? So that people who do not live in Germany can see it?

Uli

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Please explain how building a second body would be cheaper when everything is made by hand and there is only one buck.

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Cant we please just view and appreciate whats going on here, without over analysing what is being built by masters of metal working before our very eyes! Not every forum requires someones opinion..and hijacking by "feelings". Lets please stay on track. Very Happy
Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Cant we please just view and appreciate whats going on here, without over analysing what is being built by masters of metal working before our very eyes! Not every forum requires someones opinion..and hijacking by "feelings". Lets please stay on track. Very Happy
Tomas

i agree with you. I am not here to argue. I am quite impressed with the one that is being built. the grundmann's are going to do what they are going to do anyway.

Uli

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Tomas

My point exactly. We have had two members poo pooing the fact that the Grundmanns are only making one body. I am merely pointing out that the Grundmanns know what they are doing and the two members are mistaken.

The same thing happened with number 6. Members started pitching a hissy fit over certain details during the build and almost caused them to stop sharing.

Jack O'Neill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Well, one thing we can all rest assured is that the buck and the plans aren't going anywhere, and the documentation of this effort is, in itself, a piece of art
Maybe down the line someone will order a second or third body (I'll start playing the lotto just in case!), but until then, I assume any museum would be glad to house the buck and any related tooling/blueprints.

As for the rest, all I can say is thank for sharing, and keep the news coming!

Maybe someone could even ask the shop if they want to live stream this build - who knows if this isn't the monetization strategy of the future?! This of course is a tongue in cheek idea, but I wouldn't mind if they someday release a time lapse video of the build Smile

Cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Popcorn please continue..easter break is over,
hopefully without interruptions.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

OK, back on track already! Laughing

The guys have been busy with more cool stuff to show us. The lower front firewall area is first. I have to admit when looking at the cut-away body 13 I couldn't figure out what those holes in the firewall were for. As it turns out they accommodate the two bolts that hold the body to the chassis.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

The other cool thing is the nose is getting the middle ridge built up and the Bosch horn worked into position.

D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Those bolt locations compared to later models seems very over complicated, but such a cool detail...
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

I remember reading on my first VW bug reference book that the full-length hood was introduced after testing proved the spare wheel was difficult to access with the W30 configuration. By looking at these pics I'd say the reasoning is sound. I wouldn't want to lift a full wheel above that lip on the side of a snowy road.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
Those bolt locations compared to later models seems very over complicated, but such a cool detail...

It's almost like at the Daimler Benz factory they went: "Look how cool is that front firewall panel! - but how do we fit it to the chassis? - Oh dang! - let's just cut some holes in it, weld some steel cups in there so we can put those bolts through". Clearly another thing they had to fix for the next design.
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
I remember reading on my first VW bug reference book that the full-length hood was introduced after testing proved the spare wheel was difficult to access with the W30 configuration. By looking at these pics I'd say the reasoning is sound. I wouldn't want to lift a full wheel above that lip on the side of a snowy road.

I think they suspected serious concerns with the rigidity of the body being of all steel construction. The first car with the small front opening was the all-steel body 3 in late 1935 - the one that became known as the V1 and later still, the V3/3. The W30 was in final design stages by the time the V3 tests had started with the first example ready before the tests were finished so the small opening design was already carried over from the V3/3. However the concerns must have been unsubstantiated so the next design in 1938 incorporated a full length opening front hood.
Zwitter UK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Blue Baron wrote:
All this work for a single body.

I would have built two bodies, because it's much easier to repeat each process than to start over from scratch. (Plus, you learn from the first one, and the second one goes quicker.)

In the end you would have two identical bodies, and the second one could be sold to help finance the project.

i am with you. It seems downright crazy to do all that work, and pay for all that work, and not make another body. I bet there are a couple of museums and private collectors who would want a correct body. Same thing for the interior, seats, springs, upholstery, etc. How do you convince somebody to do all this work for just one car.

this one will always be the first one, and it will also be the only one with a correct VIN.
I would love to see a convoy of these going down the autobahn....

Why would any vintage VW fan, who is busy building their own replica, make two of anything - it doesn't make sense unless you can sell them?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Zwitter UK wrote:

Why would any vintage VW fan, who is busy building their own replica, make two of anything - it doesn't make sense unless you can sell them?

trying not to hi-jack this:

Rene Gross, for example could now readily build another body, using the same tools, the buck, etc. Of course, only if the owner of the buck is cool with it, and if there is a buyer...

I would be shocked if there were not collectors out there interested.

So no burden on the Grundmanns, potential business for the builder of the current body.

For now i am perfectly content seeing this one come together.

Uli

banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

I'm amazed at the skills some people possess. This rebuild is impressive. Seems like nothing is impossible Applause
1964 Chop Top
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

It's these sort of details that we're really lucky to be seeing and the construction of the body, that we may only ever see finished in pictures.

Keep up the good work all involved.

56' Oval
71' Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 29

Jump to: