Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is line boring this case even an option?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gonzaga13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is line boring this case even an option? Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
by the time you cut the main bearing and cut for the2.00mm over size thrust bearing you will be into the doll pin hole . spencerfvee

That is exactly what the guy and the machine shop said. His has one bus case that is bored to 2mm and he wants $350 for it.

IS that a good deal? He has assured me that the rest of the case is fine. He seem like a good guy but who knows.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is line boring this case even an option? Reply with quote

Opinions vary. I would never use a case that was bored 2,00 over (Trust bearing ok) unless it was a museum piece, trailer queen, or something else that will see limited mileage A case that is on the last overbore almost certainly has other issues like f.i. the before menthioned lifter bores, which imho is an overlooked point of control. Next, oil plunger surfaces, cam bore straightness etc etc.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is line boring this case even an option? Reply with quote

Gonzaga13 wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:
by the time you cut the main bearing and cut for the2.00mm over size thrust bearing you will be into the doll pin hole . spencerfvee

That is exactly what the guy and the machine shop said. His has one bus case that is bored to 2mm and he wants $350 for it.

IS that a good deal? He has assured me that the rest of the case is fine. He seem like a good guy but who knows.
.........................................................................................................................................hi $350.00 is not bad for a case. here in ohio there going for $450.00. now that you know what a bad case looks like. look over the case he want to sell you .take a lifter with you and make sure the lifter bores are good. check to see how close the thrust cut is to the doll pin . all so check were the oil sender goes some times the threads are bad . i know that people dont have a lot of money to spend on a case and you might of had that much money in your bad case . think about this most vw cases are 50 years old ask your self what kind of life did the case have . when i lok for a used case i all ways look for a auto stick case most of them never need a line bore . i cant tell you to buy the case or not to buy the case only you know if you can trust the man on how how good he says the case is good luck do whats best for you take care spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Is line boring this case even an option? Reply with quote

if the rest of the case is good, (lifters, warping, cracks etc) that case can be saved with special spacers. often that kind of damage seems to stop at 19.40/19.50mm case size. this is caused by the case and main bearing #2 web itself that becomes the "thrust" in place of the bearing lip/case and seems not to increase anymore , at least until destruction for low oil pressure). the spacer has to be significantly bigger than the bearing. at least 10mm over the external diameter of the bearing lip. this spreads the load on a larger surface. the bearing usable is the first OS (21mm) so that the contact area between the case and the bearing is not significantly decreased. this is the problem of the 20mm and 18.5mm OS thrust ones. it is a little time consuming the machine of the spacer seat and there is some hassle when closing the case. however if the customer asks for repairing the case it is an option. Some machine shop weld the area and remachine to STD, this is common on brazilian engines (that are rebuilt many times) but i saw some also in italian engines. in the past people was more creative in repairs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: