Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan Randomly Dies
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gain7095
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Eurovan Randomly Dies Reply with quote

So this has been a long issue for my 95 VW Eurovan. I bought the van then she started to die while under load. CEL came on, there was a relay sound of clicking in the dash, and it would lose power till it full on died. Then it was tough to start.
So I had the following repaired:
-Timing was off a bit and needed new sorted
-New plugs/wires
-Checked vacuum pressure
-Cleaned fuel system
-Put in new fuel filter

Bam it's much better, runs and starts way better. Fine for 400 miles or so, then the same thing happens again and leaves me stranded near Bend Or. Find a VW guy there, and I think it's the fuel pump getting plugged but he says no. He thinks a bad CAT when I tell him the original owner mentioned the Kombi value (secondary blower thing for emissions) was toast. He manages to replace that and it runs great for another 400 miles.

Then the issue returns while going up a long grade on the highway. But this time it doesn't die. It just shudders, I can hear the relay behind the dash clicking but no CEL. The shuddering worsens on and off over the next 50 miles but it never dies. By the time I get it home it's back to not wanting to start and shuddering and dying at low idle.

It will probably be fine in day or two and not do it again or another 400 miles or who knows. Can you guys shed any light on this for me please?

My thought is it is something fuel related. Maybe a rusty tank and there are bits of rust that keep catching and clogging the fuel filter? However I've had the fuel pump out twice at the shop and replaced some fittings for the fuel pump. Also the VW guys I talked to said there is a screen in front of the tank that should keep it from plugging, but it's just so random that I thought maybe there was crud randomly floating around plugging the system up.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Randomly Dies Reply with quote

I have 2 thoughts on this. My Early (79) Rabbit had this and it was a coolapsing fuel line.New fuel line and my neighbor fixed it as he had the same car and swapped piece by piece till he fixed it, and Vws way 🔙 as far as the fifties had that little strainer clog and kill the poor little engine 36 hp no less..man those busses were SLOW. 48MPH..Top Speed
. I would start with the screen.vw used to sell them separately back in the day..and remember they operated on about 3 psi and yours is much higher..35/40PSI+. and fuel pumps get tired too. You could probably swap the pump only not the whole thing.. it's not rocket science..Good luck and keep us updated . Bill in PR till it warms up in Vt
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Randomly Dies Reply with quote

Good advice above.

There is a fitting on the fuel rail. I'd recommend measuring your fuel pressure when the Camper is symptomatic.

Another easy/free detail is cleaning all engine bay electrical grounds including the ECU ground. Clean your battery terminals- thoroughly.

You've not mentioned weather in your post. Have you closely inspected your ignition coil? I've seen some T4s with a hair line crack that become become symptomatic during very wet weather.

Good luck and keep us posted.
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Randomly Dies Reply with quote

One replaced my could twice in the 6 years I've owned my. I picked one up at o'reilly's. I think it's even got lifetime warranty.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Randomly Dies Reply with quote

Fuel delivery will cut you out completely, 99% of the time.

It definitely sounds electrical, and the coil is a good first check.

Bremi coil pack is about $100 - not too bad for a parts cannon ammo - and you should have a spare, anyhow
dazey77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Randomly Dies Reply with quote

good luck, I had similar issues on mine that took a while to track down.

if you havent already, change relay 30 that supplys the ECU

If you havent already, clean all the earth points that are associated with the EFI system. Take the plug off the ECU and clean all the contacts.

In my case, my main issue was the idle stabiliser valve that failed when hot but it seemed to be compounded by some poor connections

Get a VCDS system to read error codes and diagnose. Check for things like temperature readings that make no sense (e.g. I had coolant temps well out for a cold engine and a clean of contacts brought it back to ambient temp). Check all the outputs using VCDS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Randomly Dies Reply with quote

If you hear clicking then that leads me to two things a relay as the previous mentioned(ECU and Fuel pump) and the ignition switch. All easy to change, all cheap, and know to fail
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: