Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Rear Wheel bearing repacking Help!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Another alternative would be to put a second grease fitting in the top of the bearing housing using a zerk that does not have the check ball in it so that it will act as a purge. You could make a cap of some sort for it if you were concerned about it sucking dirt of water back into the housing.

then we'd still be changing just the grease around the spacer. to change the bearing grease it has to go trough the bearing which is only possible with the seal off on this design.

some pics here and more below - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7851455#7851455

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
There actually is such an item as a zerk fitting weather cap.

Yes I realize that, just didn't know what to call it. There are also capped breathers that don't have check valves.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Another alternative would be to put a second grease fitting in the top of the bearing housing using a zerk that does not have the check ball in it so that it will act as a purge. You could make a cap of some sort for it if you were concerned about it sucking dirt of water back into the housing.

then we'd still be changing just the grease around the spacer. to change the bearing grease it has to go trough the bearing which is only possible with the seal off on this design.

some pics here and more below - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7851455#7851455

Unless you have a way to remove the grease that is between the bearing and the seal there is no way to really regrease these bearings. With a grease fitting without a check valve (or other venting device) installed in the top of the housing the result of greasing the bearings before installing the seal would be almost the same as what your pictures show and almost the same were you to add more grease to the bearing housing down the road. The main difference would be a reduced likelihood of blowing out a seal or having a seal leak thus contaminating the shoes and/or getting dirt into the bearing
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Red Line cv axle and wheel bearing grease. I was unaware of using a needle for greasing bearings. I have only ever used the palm of my hand to force the grease through. Which clearly would not work for the original bearings I used, but would very effectively on the new bearing I purchased.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Rear Wheel bearing repacking Help! Reply with quote

In an effort to reuse good factory rear wheel bearings (w/o adding zerks) has anyone successfully tried soaking the entire housings w/ bearings in diesel fuel overnight and then given it a good cleaning in a parts cleaner? Once the bearings dry out, re-grease with a bearing packer or needle and call it good ?

I'm about to do drums, shoes, cylinders, TAB's and the stock wheel bearings are glassy smooth with no play at 190k miles. I'd prefer not to add the zerks.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Rear Wheel bearing repacking Help! Reply with quote

sure - inspect carefully - I use a loupe

do NOT use an air gun to dry them - no fast spins w/o lube

Lisle makes a cheap & nifty bearing packer - much more fun than doing it by hand and seems to work better

clean everything else carefully & inspect well

time to use a quality grease; I have a bunch of Swepco laying around & use that; others swear by Synpower

reread your post and you ARE talking about a complete disassembly aren't you??
- this is a lot more critical to vehicle safety than a heater blower bearing, despite false analogies made by some elsewhere Twisted Evil
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Rear Wheel bearing repacking Help! Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Merian. Yes, complete disassembly, but not removing the bearings from the housing as I'd imagine they would be damaged. As odd as it sounds I've had good luck with amsoil synthetic arctic grease used in all seasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Rear Wheel bearing repacking Help! Reply with quote

outwesty wrote:
In an effort to reuse good factory rear wheel bearings (w/o adding zerks) has anyone successfully tried soaking the entire housings w/ bearings in diesel fuel overnight and then given it a good cleaning in a parts cleaner? Once the bearings dry out, re-grease with a bearing packer or needle and call it good ?

I'm about to do drums, shoes, cylinders, TAB's and the stock wheel bearings are glassy smooth with no play at 190k miles. I'd prefer not to add the zerks.

Thanks

I have a large ultrasonic cleaner.
About 30 minutes in it and they are sparkly clean.
Even inside.
I do flip them once.
It is filled with an industrial version of simple green, cut 1/2 with water.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Rear Wheel bearing repacking Help! Reply with quote

you should remove the bearings every x00,000 miles and put in new ones or inspect & R&R if not damaged

check the price on new bearings

be sure to get high quality ones
letsrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Rear Wheel bearing repacking Help! Reply with quote

outwesty wrote:
Thanks for the reply Merian. Yes, complete disassembly, but not removing the bearings from the housing as I'd imagine they would be damaged. As odd as it sounds I've had good luck with amsoil synthetic arctic grease used in all seasons.

I am in the same situation. I do not want to pull the bearings because they are in good shape. I have both drive and wheel side seals out to replace them and I am not sure how to get the old grease out. I'm hesitant to use a degreaser because that degreaser may be hard to get out and eat the new grease. Would brake cleaner be more effective since it will evaporate quickly?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Rear Wheel bearing repacking Help! Reply with quote

letsrig wrote:
outwesty wrote:

I am in the same situation. I do not want to pull the bearings because they are in good shape. I have both drive and wheel side seals out to replace them and I am not sure how to get the old grease out. I'm hesitant to use a degreaser because that degreaser may be hard to get out and eat the new grease. Would brake cleaner be more effective since it will evaporate quickly?

I don't have one but......
I would wash out the grease with solvent, rinse well.

Then find someone with an ultra sonic cleaner that fits the hub assemblies.

I'm gathering new bearings fully expecting to replace them, but I will clean them in place and look for wear before I just yank them.

Maybe a repack is all I need? If so, I've got spares for future use.

Dave

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Rear Wheel bearing repacking Help! Reply with quote

I feel stupid for asking but I can’t quite figure it out. If you don’t add the zerk fittings, how do you get grease into the bearings? Use a grease gun with a needle fitting on the end and carefully fill all the little nooks and crannies?

I’m looking to pull the rear bearings on my syncro in the next few weeks and I want to make sure I know how it all goes back together first.

Thanks,

Paul
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Rear Wheel bearing repacking Help! Reply with quote

I have used a long needle into the bearings to push in new grease and out with the old. I am sure it is not perfect but much better than nothing and I do not trust new bearings any more.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Rear Wheel bearing repacking Help! Reply with quote

Thanks. I wouldn't replace them but I'm pretty sure the right one is making noise. It's either that or the drum and it only happens under load and goes away while turning one way which makes me think bearing. I'm debating if I want to get new housings while I'm in there, the van only has 275k miles at this point. Smile

Paul
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Rear Wheel bearing repacking Help! Reply with quote

Hopefully you're right about which one it is. I had a bearing going bad on my syncro slowly over the last 6 months. Id done the drivers rear last year. It finally got noisy enough that I had to fix it. I'd have sworn it was on the pass side. The the rear had excessive play I thought. So i replaced the bearings. Still had noise. Arg. OK did the front pass bearing, it was the next loosest bearing. Still have noise. Damn it Jim. The drivers front had hardly any play. Should've known it was the culprit, it was tight because it was falling apart inside. I was reading old threads on finding a bad bearing. Jon slider wrote that touching the coil spring whilst spinning the wheel you can feel the bad bearing easier. It's tough on a syncro with no decoupler though. At the least you need a decoupler or remove the driveline to the front diff. Pulling axles would be optimal for a free spinning wheel test. Front axle removal on a syncro is a bit of a pain. Oh well, new bearings all around is good. I did the zirks on the rear years ago.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Rear Wheel bearing repacking Help! Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I do not trust new bearings any more.

Details on this?
I have learned that error installing a (new) bearing too deep; the rollers will touch the spacer and will burn up quickly.
I wonder if this error in the Bentley p42.5 was causing an install error on lots of DIY bearing replacements..

And new bearings in ovaled/loose housings don't last.

But are new bearings really "NOT good"?
What brand are these that don't last?

I worry about running my (224k mi) bearings too long - that the slop on washboarded roads might ovalize the rear housing bores.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Rear Wheel bearing repacking Help! Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

I have learned that error installing a (new) bearing too deep; the rollers will touch the spacer and will burn up quickly.

um...

when you torque the axle nut the spacer touches the roller no matter what

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Rear Wheel bearing repacking Help! Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
dobryan wrote:
I do not trust new bearings any more.

Details on this?

But are new bearings really "NOT good"?
What brand are these that don't last?

I should have been less specific in this case.

I do not trust new parts any more. No info on specific bearings, just a general desire to make the original part last if not really broken.

Back in the 70's I'd proactively replace a part because I was 'in there' and it was easy. Parts back then where as good as OE.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Rear Wheel bearing repacking Help! Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Sodo wrote:

um...

when you torque the axle nut the spacer touches the roller no matter what

Skillz you don't know about this because you probably don't do "the Bentley error".

Bentley error tells you to "press bearing in until seated".
This is an error.
There is no seat. The bearing stops moving inward when the rollers jam against the spacer.
I suppose people think "its seated".
They drive.
They ruin the new bearing even though installed per Bentley.
They think it's because new bearings don't last.
That's __my theory__ on how new rear wheel bearings got a bad reputation.

Discussed here---> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9834223#9834223

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Rear Wheel bearing repacking Help! Reply with quote

Thanks sodo! That would be easy to screw up. One of these days I’m just buying a press and all the little special tools. I just need more space, or fewer spare parts.

Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: