Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

How do you suggest the steel line to be routed? Around the blower or over the top of the blower to the bottom?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

I will see if I can get a picture this week. But if memory serves...come straight out from the union at the heater nipple.....about 2-3". Make a 90° bend straight forward toward front of car. Then cont8nue straight about 8-10" just until you clear the heater body.

Then dip slightly downward. You should be able to connect the rubber pipe there. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Ray, you mentioned in this thread about blower motor, to remove the covers and make adjustments on each end. The only blower I see is the one attached to the end of the unit, and I don't see any adjustments. Now there is a blower, which I don't have, that attaches to this blower. Probably one came with the car and some shop along the way confiscated it. Could this be the blower you have reference to? Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Ray, you mentioned in this thread about blower motor, to remove the covers and make adjustments on each end. The only blower I see is the one attached to the end of the unit, and I don't see any adjustments. Now there is a blower, which I don't have, that attaches to this blower. Probably one came with the car and some shop along the way confiscated it. Could this be the blower you have reference to? Bob

Hello Bob! Hope you are doing well!

OK....just for orientation ...here is the heater unit in the first picture and the blower that plugs into it is below it....red arrow between them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Notice the rubber boot or cover on the end ...yellow circle

First...there is a band clamp that holds the blower to the heater. Unplug the blower and remove it from the heater. Its kind of a pain in the backside to get on and off.

Put it up on the workbench. Remove the rubber cover without tearing it up. Under the rubber boot you will find a metal cap with two screws attaching it to the nit. Under it is a set of points and a diode that runs off a worm gear on the shaft. I cannot remember if this set is for the ignition coil or the fuel pump.
Turn the blower shaft by hand until he points are maximum open. Check the gap. It should be .016" just like ignition points. If not or if they are carbonized...file them just like points and set them.

Now...look at the exploded diagram below.

The propellor or impellor which is part #3...is held onto the shaft by a set screw through a hole in the blower body part #4.
Before you remove the impellor...measure its gap to the edge of the heater unit so you can get it back on the same way.

Remove the impellor.

Then...see the big clip?...part #7....remove that. With a little pushing the whole motor assembly slides out the back.
Remove the small cover and two screws in the sheet metal cover part #'s 22 and 23....and you will find the other set of points inside.

Those get adjusted the same way...file them and put them on the high spot and adjust to .016".

Put a little superlube type grease on both worm gear assemblies after you clean everything.

Here is the detail from the manual and whats underneath the covers.

If you need the whole manual...I think its in the archives...well at least the BN4 is....which is almost the same.

Ours is the BA-4....all of which is here
https://www.type4.org/manuals/ba4/ch1/ba4_11a.html

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Thanks, I have the blower on bench, all cleaned up. So tomorrow I'll see if I can do the job. I don't have any gages to set gaps, but I have a neighbor who seems to have everything so I'll check with him. Bob
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

I see the points on the first step. Wow they just barely open. How would you sand something like that? Is that a allen head bolt on the propeller shaft. It' sure a tiny one.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Can't get the little allen set bolt on the propeller shaft to break loose. Got any suggestions what might penetrate and loosen it?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay.

The points are pretty much just like ignition points. You hold them open and carefully file each side just enough to take off high spots and carbon making sure you do not file them crooked to each other.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7769143?cid=pai...4LEALw_wcB

Here is a point file that NAPA sells for about $2.

O'reilleys lists one as well...most people have them. Its just a thin flat file that is double cut to file in both directions. Single cut is fine too.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/performance-t...3c/4613626

Yes...you can use nail file sanding boards in a pinch.

AS for the small allen set screw...put some penetrating oil on it.....and if you have a soldering iron with a tiny long tip...heat it up a little. Use a metric allen key .....high quality...with a DEAD tight fight.

Last time I had problems with one...I sacrificed a T-handle allen key. I cut it off on the end ...first to make sure the end was square and perfect and not old and rounded. But I cut about 2" out of the length so it was about 5"-6" long to take some of the twist out of it. It popped hard when it came loose.

Ray
MarcVoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Last year I got 3 heaters in different conditions.

I've now made one out of that that works. One had very little rust, the next the engine was very quiet with no bearing noise. I cleaned everything and repainted it.

I opened the lid of the motor and cleaned the contact with fine sandpaper and cleaned it with aceton. I greased the shaft again.

After that I tested everything with a 12V battery and the spark plug.

On the other side of the motor there is the contact for the pump, which only closes every 33 turns by a small gear. This was also cleaned and I did the test here with a small lamp.

I also tested the thermostat with an airheater, one was bent and the other one didn't work anyway. Finally everything was finished on time and could be presented to the car on its 50th birthday.

Last week I removed the exhaust pipe from the car and gave it to the "sandblasters" today, it was in good condition, so it needs only new paint.

However, the old fuel hoses are leaking and the restored heater will be installed if the engine will be replaced soon with a revised one.

At all, I only used used parts, out of these 3 pieces I picked the best ones.

In summary, I feared when I saw the spare part picture, more than 100 pieces, but after doing the work, I can say now, it was quiet easy. But - luckily - I had parts that worked and it wasn't necessary to change bearings and so on.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Very nice!

Ray
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Thank you,

You have produced some excellent photos for reference.

BR,

Rob
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Have begun to seriously go through my heater... much easier while the car is still apart. I have heard different takes on what this part actually does. Should I reuse it? How do I know if it is still useable? I always thought it was some kind of filter. Kind of a mystery, actually...

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Have begun to seriously go through my heater... much easier while the car is still apart. I have heard different takes on what this part actually does. Should I reuse it? How do I know if it is still useable? I always thought it was some kind of filter. Kind of a mystery, actually...

Bill

Yes.....you need to reuse that. If it leaks....you need to rig up a small chamber to replace it. It is a fuel accumulator in the EFI return line. Without it to allow the heater pump to feed crom a small pool.....your heater will run erratically.

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

The good thing is that it does not leak. Being low pressure I guess that has added to it’s life. Love these kind of parts!

Bill
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

At the step where I want to pull the motor out of the housing to check the 2nd set of points. I have removed everything that should allow the motor to slip out. It will not budge. I have pushed, pulled, tapped but nothing. Before I get crazy stupid I will stop here and ask. By the way all the components check out so far which is good. The motor does work with a battery on the bench. I thought the hard part was going to loosen the impeller set screw. It came out with little struggle!

Bill

Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

I think I found the reason why my blower motor will not slide apart. I am lucky to have a spare gas heater my dad scrounged from a yard in the late ‘70’s. My heater has the blue tag and the spare is a black tag. The spare is claimed to be from a ‘73. Mine is a ‘73. But take a close look at the impeller end housing. Mine has holes and the spare does not. Looks like mine is attached to the end of the housing and the spare is not. I have not been able to identify what is in those 3 holes yet.

Bill

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

I dont "think" there is anything in those holes. I think those are for spacing the n=motor from the end. I could be wrong.....but you notice that you had to take the large "E" clip off of the other end right?

That E-clip should be what keeps the motor in the housing. It has a rubber friction sleeve on the outside and may be part of the aluminum packing ring in the back. It can get stuck.

Let me see if I have one of each. Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Ray,

You are right...there isn’t anything in those holes lol. I got the spare one to come apart and saw how it grips. So tried harder gripping on mine and it finally separated. The rubber sleeve piece was fairly dry on mine. Not sure why they introduced those holes. They do nothing...other than confuse people.

Bill

MarcVoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

I had 3 and I distroyed one, of course that one, which already had a bad bearing.
The solution is, first you have to turn it, then you can pull it easyly !
You must not pull without turning, it will not work (after 50 years).
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

MarcVoss wrote:
I had 3 and I distroyed one, of course that one, which already had a bad bearing.
The solution is, first you have to turn it, then you can pull it easyly !
You must not pull without turning, it will not work (after 50 years).

Yes....that rubber isolator gets stuck....and...as you try to pull on the motor...it compresses that rubber ring from the impellor end....which causes to swell and grip even more tightly.

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: