Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'57 and earlier Rear Disc Brake Conversion
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
APLANTEDLEIF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: '57 and earlier Rear Disc Brake Conversion Reply with quote

I was looking into doing a rear disc brake conversion on my 56 Beetle. It still has the original 1st gear non synchro transaxle and stock short axle tubes. While looking at various vendors I am finding out that they do not offer a rear conversion for '57 and earlier Beetles, at least with a stock/original transaxle but they do offer kits for '58 and later. What is it about the earlier transaxles that prevents the ability to install rear disc brakes? Is it the splines on the axles that differ from '57 to '58 and later or is it something else?

Thanks.
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '57 and earlier Rear Disc Brake Conversion Reply with quote

I just put disc brakes (CB Performance) on all 4 corners of my '56 and the only issue I ran into was that the parking brake cables were a couple inches too short. I ended up buying some barrel nuts and welding them to the ends of the cables with a couple inches of threaded rod. Everything else bolted up just fine.

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
APLANTEDLEIF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '57 and earlier Rear Disc Brake Conversion Reply with quote

ernstben, do you have a stock transaxle and short axle tubes like myself or did you upgrade to a later transaxle? I have read about needing to get longer hardlines going from the soft line to the caliper because of the positioning of the rear caliper.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: