Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Head temp on #2 says I am hotter than the rest.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp on #2 says I am hotter than the rest. Reply with quote

Storm here. More ideals what to do, Bugsy61 says to test all 4sensors in boiling water. Swap the cooling reading with the hot one and see if there is a difference. Also I guess I am not alone Tattooed pariah says he has the same problem. As he solved his problem and what did he do to fix it.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp on #2 says I am hotter than the rest. Reply with quote

storm wrote:
Storm here. More ideals what to do, Bugsy61 says to test all 4sensors in boiling water. Swap the cooling reading with the hot one and see if there is a difference. Also I guess I am not alone Tattooed pariah says he has the same problem. As he solved his problem and what did he do to fix it.

no i didn't solve it at all.. I made it a little better, but it's not solved.

My carbs were out of sync and my jetting was too rich, I would regularly see #2 almost 100F hotter than #3..

I spent some time syncing my carbs and threw in some smaller jets and it's running a little happier, but #2 is still like 40-60F hotter than #3..

I just took it out today though and maintained about 80mph on a reasonably steep hill on the freeway and #2 peaked at around 330F (#3 was around 290), and then when I crested the hill temps dropped pretty fast.. by the time I hit the light at the bottom (freeway ends), #2 was around 260 and #3 was around 210..

So I still have some work to do, but it's happier than it was..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Head temp on #2 says I am hotter than the rest. Reply with quote

Storm here, Ray Greenwood, the engine is type 1 configuration. Tattooed pariah, your temps are normal I can’t see any problem with high temps, Wreck, the Omega thermocouple looks interesting. Thanks
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp on #2 says I am hotter than the rest. Reply with quote

storm wrote:
Storm here, Ray Greenwood, the engine is type 1 configuration. Tattooed pariah, your temps are normal I can’t see any problem with high temps, Wreck, the Omega thermocouple looks interesting. Thanks

I don't think they look high, but I was always told that #3 should be your hottest, with #4 being slightly hotter than 1 and 2 due to proximity to 3. and 1 and 2 would be about the same as each other..

Mine seems to be spun 180 degrees.. 3 and 4 are close to each other, and lower than 1, with 2 being my hottest cylinder..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp on #2 says I am hotter than the rest. Reply with quote

Just for the heck of it try checking your timing at every plug. Of course you will need a degreed pulley or 12-3-6-9 marks on pulley or degreed template. Maybe you have an off lobe or off magnet on your distributor.
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp on #2 says I am hotter than the rest. Reply with quote

Storm here, bsairhead, thanks for that tip. I did change the distributor to CB Magaspark 2. I normally run a vacuum distributor, but my Spanish IDF Weber’s don’t have enough vacuum. I will try with my timing light on #3 spark plug and see if it matches #1 spark plug.
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp on #2 says I am hotter than the rest. Reply with quote

Storm back, correction will try on #2 spark plug instead #3.
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp on #2 says I am hotter than the rest. Reply with quote

Storm here, problem solved. #2 side of head was hitting temps of 350-410 degrees on a 90plus day. Went on You Tube and watched a video about the idle circuit. I was only thinking that the idle jet itself was clogged. Not so, The video name from is Vic Ferrari’s Weber idle circuit plugged and cleaning. There is a lot info about this circuit. That was my problem. My circuit was on the rich side also and did not do that lean mixture pop pop sound. So I cleaned the whole system and the temps went down. Today it’s 95 degrees, out with my micro bus going 55 mph head temp of #2 was 275-290 degrees, oil pressure 42, oil temp 190. I did go down on the main jet by 5 and better running engine. Thanks everyone for their input.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp on #2 says I am hotter than the rest. Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice cool running engine especially pushing a bus on a hot day. Nice tidy tuning.
brightcourse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp on #2 says I am hotter than the rest. Reply with quote

Here is what we have tried:

Removed the crush washer on the #3 Spark Plug, and reinstalled the TC.

Capped the vacuum port that runs to break the servo on the #3/4 side. (still getting vacuum from the #1/2 side carb)

Richened the mixture a quarter turn on #3 and #4

Sad to report no changes in the CHT for #3 and #4.

Randy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Head temp on #2 says I am hotter than the rest. Reply with quote

brightcourse wrote:
Here is what we have tried:

Removed the crush washer on the #3 Spark Plug, and reinstalled the TC.

Capped the vacuum port that runs to break the servo on the #3/4 side. (still getting vacuum from the #1/2 side carb)

Richened the mixture a quarter turn on #3 and #4

Sad to report no changes in the CHT for #3 and #4.

Randy

Good!

Did you verify no leaks around the threads with a cranking test and soapy water?

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: