Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What kind of wheels are these?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of wheels are these? Reply with quote

Super old thread. Any other makers of this wheel other than the listed ones, circa 60-early 80's? I got a set (5) of NOS ones from an old timer in the late 90's that he bought no later than the early 80's. They are flat center, press in cap (no caps) 15x5.5, 5 on 130 bolt pattern, they have no casting marks of any kind, are anodized aluminum.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of wheels are these? Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
Super old thread. Any other makers of this wheel other than the listed ones, circa 60-early 80's? I got a set (5) of NOS ones from an old timer in the late 90's that he bought no later than the early 80's. They are flat center, press in cap (no caps) 15x5.5, 5 on 130 bolt pattern, they have no casting marks of any kind, are anodized aluminum.

The "Clones" were made by:
- Western Wheels : "SPORT"- 1977
- Dan Gurney Ind. : "VICTORY" Mag GT -1975
- American Racing Equipment : "AR G.T." - 1983
- Rocket Wheels : "MONACO" - 1982
- P/S Per Spec Industries : "GT" - 1973

https://vintagewheelcatalogs.com/

Last edited by Typ3nut on Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of wheels are these? Reply with quote

I read the list, but these dont have any of those casting marks, they are completely smooth. I assumed they are clones, just looking for whose
ARR #3

Last edited by Teeroy on Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of wheels are these? Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
I read the list, but these dont have any of thoosecasting marks, they are completely smooth. I assumed the are clones, just looking for whose

Do you have a photo?
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of wheels are these? Reply with quote

I'll take some tomorrow
ARR #3
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of wheels are these? Reply with quote

Here are outside and inside shots. I looked over the 5th unmounted wheel, it doesn't have any markinging the bead either.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ARR #3
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of wheels are these? Reply with quote

polished Clones.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of wheels are these? Reply with quote

Agreed, but by who. They are clear anodized as well
ARR #3
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of wheels are these? Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:

My opinion on the manufacture of your wheels is Rocket Ind., because American Racing only offered in 4 lug and all the other companies usually had casting marks. Most of the Rocket Wheels that I have seen were never marked.
Also Rocket Ind. made their version in the 1982 catalog.
https://vintagewheelcatalogs.com/rocket/
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of wheels are these? Reply with quote

Found this Article in Car Craft Magazine January 1962 "Glamor Mags for Compacts"
Hands Engineering Magnesium Mag Wheels

moonbeam69KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of wheels are these? Reply with quote

There were multiple manufacturers of this style wheel in the 60's and 70's. I purchased a set in 1974 from a guy who had them on his Porsche 914. He told me they were sold as an upgraded wheel package by the dealer when he bought the 914. They were a very popular after-market wheel on the 914 in that era. I mounted them on my 1971 Type III Squareback, and ran them for years before putting them on my 1969 Ghia. Mine are 15x6 in the 4-lug VW pattern (4x130), and they are simply polished aluminum with screw-on center caps. I purchased an identical set of 5 in the late '90's that are fully chromed. I did it because I was repainting my Ghia at the time and I wanted a complete set with a spare, but I never mounted them. I'd consider selling both of those sets because I found an entirely unique wheel for my Ghia that I've never seen anywhere else. I also bought a set of "Riviera" style mags that were sand-blasted down to bare metal with the intention of painting them to match the Ghia, but that was before I found the set I'm using. I'd consider selling those as well, but I may keep one extra set of wheels for my '55 Beck Speedster replica that was built on a late-model, 4-lug VW chassis.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of wheels are these? Reply with quote

Crazy. I recently purchased a buggy with these wheels on it.

They won't be used for my build. They are available in Norcal Stockton to Elk Grove area. Are they worth $200 for the set? PM me
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: