Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Indoor car cover
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gdubya46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Indoor car cover Reply with quote

I need to purchase a car cover for my 1967 beetle sedan. The car is stored indoors so I'm looking for more or less a dust cover. The car has a roof mounted luggage carrier. Any recommendations as to what to buy or what not to buy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Indoor car cover Reply with quote

I have one from this company, no sure which one it is as was purchased here in the classifieds several years ago. I is a really good one more then a dust cover.
Check them out
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

https://www.calcarcover.com/

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Indoor car cover Reply with quote

I cover cars and other stuff in my garage with a thin plastic drip cloth from Lowes. A pack of 3 is like $6
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Indoor car cover Reply with quote

don't know what the humidity is like in michigan but I prefer to let the air circulate over/around the car. unless your garage is exceptionally dusty I'd just give the car a good clean and wax before parking up. plus a shaped cover isn't going to work over the roof rack.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Indoor car cover Reply with quote

finster wrote:
don't know what the humidity is like in michigan but I prefer to let the air circulate over/around the car. unless your garage is exceptionally dusty I'd just give the car a good clean and wax before parking up. plus a shaped cover isn't going to work over the roof rack.

A couple of times a summer we can get 95-100ー degrees with matching humidity
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
gdubya46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Indoor car cover Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. I think I would prefer to keep the car covered when stored, especially during the winter months. It seems like it is bound to get dusty otherwise. A lightweight, breathable cover is what I have in mind.
GT 1950 I looked at those vendors you posted. Pretty sure they have what I知 looking for. Friends, thanks again for your help. GW.
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Indoor car cover Reply with quote

I live in Ohio so I get pretty similar weather. Make sure you have a couple of fans running all the time in the garage. I literally have had a piece of sheet metal in the garage for 10 years and barely a speck of rust on it because the fans circulate the air so well. With a cheaper dust cover and a couple of box fans mounted up near the ceiling, you won't have any problems.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Indoor car cover Reply with quote

My neighbor made me a cover from synthetic fleece. Yes, it looks like insane pajamas. You could easily make this cover in any color. I have stored my restored beetle under this since 2013 and have no scratches. It breathes. It stretches.

If you want measurements, I can do that.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Indoor car cover Reply with quote

Measurements please.

I was going to use flat bead sheets. I like the fleece better!
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Indoor car cover Reply with quote

I'd like some pyjama pants made just like that too please! Smile

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Indoor car cover Reply with quote

Go BEAVS!!

I値l get measurements.
gdubya46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Indoor car cover Reply with quote

Wish I had a neighbor like that! I値l talk to my wife but......
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Indoor car cover Reply with quote

Ok, below is a diagram showing the measurements I took. A couple notes first.

First, yes, we had some kick ass neighbors at the time.

I clearly remember her coming over with a very rough pattern pinned together, and she made adjustments to that to get the shape right. If you recreate this you値l need to do the same.

The fleece has been pretty ideal, in that it offers protection while allowing air to flow. However, it will allow a fine dust to settle on the car. I use a California car duster to remove that dust before driving or washing. I use the 2 bucket wash method with Optimum No Rinse, and I have no scratches in paint that is now 8 years old, single stage.

Obviously, there are 3 central panels that cover front, top, and rear. You値l create 2 side panels. In my case the side panels are composed of 3 pieces of fabric. So, it痴 a total of 9 panels to make this pattern.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Indoor car cover Reply with quote

Awesome thank you
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: