Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ridiculous rust
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
briank2021
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Ridiculous rust Reply with quote

This is what I found when changing carpet in a Multivan, can see that previous owner had same problem and did a spot weld to repair rocker panel.. that seems to be holding up , and there are no exterior issue that are visible on that panel... it’s the floor that is the issue.. Not even sure what to do, the May floor is okay, but the beam that holds the table frame and paneling is completely toast..
also, found the source of the water coming in from back end of drivers side wheel well. I poked through and it is a huge quarter size hole.. not even sure how to address that at all.
Know some good welders and would like to learn to do this myself, but I’m also fearful this is a can or worms and this may be the end of the line. Rear of the van is great , hate to make this be a loss if I can avoid it

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous rust Reply with quote

Get on the ground and look up into the front jacking point with a really powerful flashlight.

Timing is everything!
www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous rust Reply with quote

That doesn’t look like the end of line to me. It looks structural sound in the picture. Yes some one has been there before. I would start with a wire wheel on a drill and start cleaning it up. Only then will you know what you are up against. Even if you have replace or have someone replace some metal it should not be that big of a job. John
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous rust Reply with quote

Outer lower B Pillar
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/body/body-an...-left.html

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous rust Reply with quote

Just because the frame has giant holes doesn't mean it can't be fixed. You will need to learn to weld. But it's certainly not the end of the world.
briank2021
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous rust Reply with quote

Thank you all for the feedback, and I agree this is something I can do and I need a hobby to learn so welding it is!

Steve M, thank you for the link to the outer B Pilar, it looked a bit smaller and I'm curious if I am pointing at the wrong thing. I circled in the attached picture the part I am looking to find, and it looks like it is an extension to the main floorpan. There appears to be two extension pieces to main floorpan?
I can likely weld the floorpan, but I am looking to see if there is a way to get this bar, or pilar, that the table fram and paneling appear to attach to..

I can't find anywhere to buy these 2 floor pan extension pieces, and though this long pilar may have been fabricated and sold somewhere? Otherwise, I suppose I can have it fabricated.

Sorry for the newbie questions!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous rust Reply with quote

I believe that area is Brickwerks Sill plates, part number 251809293. I have one for similar issues you are looking at.

Not cheap, in any sense of the term. Good metal, good fit, the RIGHT fix.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous rust Reply with quote

Check the link I sent you from Brickwerks.
It looks like they have that piece in stock, but shipping will cost you due to the length of it, but order Monday and receive it by Friday!

The piece I linked you to was the bottom outside of the "B" Pillar.
A piller is the corner of the windshield
B piller is behind the front doors
C pillar is the rear of the sliding door and
D piller is the rear corner.

I thought you said you had a hole in the B piller?

Not sure if this is the piece you are looking for?
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/body/body-an...-left.html

Or this one?
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/repair-panel-t3-outer-sill-left-side-lhd.html

briank2021
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous rust Reply with quote

I think I made it confusing when I mentioned the hole..that hole is where water was coming in, that hole is in the back drivers side wheel well

Regarding the interior floor, I believe the second link you sent is the right one, the outer sill, which would attach directly to the main floorplan?

Last edited by briank2021 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:29 am; edited 3 times in total
briank2021
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous rust Reply with quote

I feel I am looking for these two pieces, referenced in picture as “rail center floor” and “extension, floor”( also rusted before jump seat bracket).

Is the rail center the same as outer sill?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: