Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

Troytempest69 wrote:
Hi splitty1974

There’s a thread on the ssvc website that has some paint formulas. Any use?

https://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&am...60#p873057

Thank you!
Troytempest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

Hi. A few months off repaint of my 65 Delux bus and I’ve re-read this and other threads multiple times. Front runner for me at the mo is #2. I’ll be honest, there seems to be lots of opinion whether there was 1 or 2 versions....like others I’ll no doubt go for the colour I like best.

Couple of interesting points that others have made stood out which were 1) why would VW have two different versions called the same thing, running parallel, and 2) there’s no VW literature indicating two separate versions.

I had a look in the technical section and the period VW Colour combination manuals for all the types and it makes reference to sea blue and code L360 - no distinction. It even has the codes for touch up cans and spray cans and the Sea Blue codes/reference numbers are identical across all models. These manuals are direct from VW.

I also had a look at progressive refinements from the time, and from what I can see it lists the various models colour changes over the years, again with no indication of different ‘versions’ of sea blue when discussing different models.

Anyway, not trying to sway opinion, this seems to be be ones of those scenarios that are plausible either way.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

My bus just got painted sea blue and cumulus white. I matched my samples to an original 1966 paint bus, always garaged, like 10k Miles time capsul with cherry paint. I have PPG codes for single stage concept. If you want it send me a message. Also, my thread has pictures of the bus, but I know you probably want to see it in person with samples.
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

I am about to paint a vintage popup camper trailer sea blue to match my blue 65 split.....anybody ever find a tractor supply or similar paint color that is close enough for such a project as this? Thanks for the info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miasadie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

On the left is Sea Blue (12333) and on the right is Sea Blue #2 (12945)
Both were PPG single stage aerosol cans.
I can provide more pics including can with codes/ recipes if you message me.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
.65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

Looks good for a modern mix done by PPG.

But the modern mixes seem to be a little off and doing a paint match to an existing part on your car is the only way to get the color you want/expect.

Your paint colors look good but they both look off for the original more blue Sea Blue color that many call Sea Blue #1.

The more greenish original sea blue is very different from both of your samples and this is the one many call Sea Blue #2.

Nice to see the PPG paints, thanks for doing this and posting it with the codes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

miasadie wrote:
On the left is Sea Blue (12333) and on the right is Sea Blue #2 (12945)

What part of the pieces are the new sample?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: