Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flashing semaphores...?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Flashing semaphores...? Reply with quote

HELLO, The above circuit is very similar to what I have made, but I have a few differences.

Here in the UK we dont have flashing brake lights, so I am using dual filament for the brake and running lights, with the turn indicator in the top lens of heart taillights.

Also, to prevent dimming/flashing of the semaphore bulbs and make a hazard circuit work without the ignition on, I have powered the flasher from a different fuse.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It all seems to work ok so far EXCEPT i think I need more diodes, or a simpler solution to this problem... if the hazards are activated and the turn signal switch is too then I blow the fuse... also I would prefer the semas not to operate when hazards are on...

and thoughts on this would be most welcome!!!!!

A couple of notes, the semaphores in the diagram have flashing bulbs on the same circuit as the other turn signals, if these are deleted then the semaphore operates and lights as normal.

The circuit in green is a way to make the positive signal from the flasher make the dash light flash, this is optional and that wire and relay can be removed.

Finally, the diodes in the hazard circuit would not be needed if the switch has separate poles. make sense?
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Flashing semaphores...? Reply with quote

One thing I see cause maybe a problem is your diagram shows a bulb next to the semaphore- which already has a bulb in it. Is it another bulb?
How does that part work?
Maybe a diode in the blk/white wire that goes to the bottom connector in your diagram to each semaphore? If you're doing it that way- that might at least keep the sema's from working with the hazard ?
I think a period correct/ aftermarket switch - like the SWF units that have 9-pins - could make this possible with pretty much the whole setup running through the turn signal switch.
Or some variety of a vintage add-on hazard switch. There several made to add warning flashers directly to old VW's.
--> ?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2439223

There are even some slick kits out there that had the switch and relay integrated -- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2422534
Or maybe this? --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2375233

Just some ideas...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
adaysnight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Flashing semaphores...? Reply with quote

connecting the flasher relay to fuse #3 behind the dash makes both tail lights and the license plate light blink all at once, which means they share a circuit.

is this normal on an April build '55 or is that a wiring issue that's specific to my car? i'm assuming this was done to have all lights in the back turn on when the parking or low beams are turned on which is how it works on my car now and makes sense since these early cars didn't have any turn signals in the back, just the semaphores... thank you
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Flashing semaphores...? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I know its not technical like your discussions & wiring diagrams regarding the flashing semaphores. I use the LED flashing bulbs. A simple replacement but done mainly for extra safety.
These are made in 6V & 12V

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks Dave
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Flashing semaphores...? Reply with quote

dave1 wrote:
Hi guys,
I know its not technical like your discussions & wiring diagrams regarding the flashing semaphores. I use the LED flashing bulbs. A simple replacement but done mainly for extra safety.
These are made in 6V & 12V

Thanks Dave

yes. a great product... however I have turn signals front and rear, so I want the semaphores to flash in unison with these...not at a different rate which would be the case with the flashing bulbs.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Flashing semaphores...? Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:

yes. a great product... however I have turn signals front and rear, so I want the semaphores to flash in unison with these...not at a different rate which would be the case with the flashing bulbs.

If that's the end result you want I'd say the most direct route once you have the wiring setup is to just put one of these flashing festoon bulbs in each light assembly. That simplifies the entire project without having to build crazy diode redundant circuits. I don't see another way to do it if you try and use a resistive flasher you need extra wires and good luck having the flashing sync up.

edit; Kind of thinking about this in my head I may have a thought-
there are 2 wires to each semaphore.
1. is V+ to the sema when signal is on.
2. the other returns ground(-) to the flasher when the arm flips up- via a black/purple wire in my 54-, as the pin down the middle of the semaphore coil goes down and grounds the circuit turning the bulb on. I think this is the wire that should go to the flasher, acting as ground through the semaphore pin to blink the speedo indicator bulb.

If you isolated the bulb holders from ground- at front and back -so they only grounded (via the pin in the semaphore circuit) when the turn signal was on- and run this ground through a resistive flasher you might have a circuit that flashes only when semaphores are UP.
It seems like you'd still need one wire extra to each fender bulb holder to achieve this intermittent (flashing) ground situation though.
You could do this with a relay too I think.

But for the same effort might as well just add a wire and a two filament bulb that's super bright if you're going to go through the trouble.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: