Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me decide between a 120 or 110 cam
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lrodri64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Help me decide between a 120 or 110 cam Reply with quote

Hi,
I have both cams and that makes the decision more difficult for me.
My engine specs:
76 x 94
5.325 rods
041 heads 40 x 35
hi rev single valve springs, chromoly retainers.
1.25 rockers
4.12 ring and it is going to have 1.58 in 3rd and 1.04 in 4th.
for the moment I have 40idf with 32mm venturies but plans for 48ida copies soon.
Some days it is going to be raced at my local 1/8 mile track but mostly street driven.
Help me decide which cam to use between engle 110 and 120 (I have both)
Thanks and regards.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide between a 120 or 110 cam Reply with quote

neither Laughing

but since thats all you have, throw in the 120 with STOCK rockers and let er rip!

make sure your deck is tight and compression at appropriate level.

do the heads have any porting work done?

might want to look into dual springs too...?
Lrodri64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide between a 120 or 110 cam Reply with quote

Yes,
Very basic port on intake
Lrodri64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide between a 120 or 110 cam Reply with quote

What do you mean with “let it rip” ?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide between a 120 or 110 cam Reply with quote

W-120 if you can install dual valve springs.
W-110 if you keep the single valve springs.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Lrodri64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide between a 120 or 110 cam Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
W-120 if you can install dual valve springs.
W-110 if you keep the single valve springs.

Ok,
Thanks.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide between a 120 or 110 cam Reply with quote

Dont bother with either single springs or the 110 if you plan on any kind of racing
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide between a 120 or 110 cam Reply with quote

If your mostly going to be street with some occasional strip action then I would build the motor using a street cam. A 120 is a tame cam for that size motor and very street able using 44 webers with 36 vents through 40 x 35 valves.
If you could be a passenger in someone's built bug, that will give you a good idea of the performance motor your building. If you want it quick, you need to do some more research or you'll be disappointed.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide between a 120 or 110 cam Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:
If your mostly going to be street with some occasional strip action then I would build the motor using a street cam. A 120 is a tame cam for that size motor and very street able using 44 webers with 36 vents through 40 x 35 valves.
If you could be a passenger in someone's built bug, that will give you a good idea of the performance motor your building. If you want it quick, you need to do some more research or you'll be disappointed.
ditto, with either 40s' or 44's.and the right cr ratio....like 9.8~10.6 and everythin else done right too.30mm pump,sloted lifter bores correct geo&pushrods.etc. you may or may not need toe duel springs. thats up to your foot& carb size...but with those ratios in the trans...use good duels.like the old bug poop 4016..I think thats it. thin wire to take a good amount of lift, unlike many duels sold today that dont take shit for lift. totaly effing useless springs. tit retainers too.gaped keepers, deburred lobes....ann more. have fun, do it right do it one time be done forget about it and have fun.
Lrodri64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide between a 120 or 110 cam Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
GARRICK.CLARK wrote:
ditto, with either 40s' or 44's.and the right cr ratio....like 9.8~10.6 and everythin else done right too.30mm pump,sloted lifter bores correct geo&pushrods.etc. you may or may not need toe duel springs. thats up to your foot& carb size...but with those ratios in the trans...use good duels.like the old bug poop 4016..I think thats it. thin wire to take a good amount of lift, unlike many duels sold today that dont take shit for lift. totaly effing useless springs. tit retainers too.gaped keepers, deburred lobes....ann more. have fun, do it right do it one time be done forget about it and have fun.

What is sloted lifter bores ?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide between a 120 or 110 cam Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:

Good advice. I can relate to this from driving a few hundred miles in my friend Bill's well built Type 1-based 2-liter Ghia. We were convoying from New York to Michigan to attend a large VW meet in the Detroit area, and swapped cars for a few hours. His was a traditional 78 x 90.5 mm, 40 x 35 mm valve heads, 44 IDFs, Engle 110 cam, and 1.5" header with single "flow" muffler. Speeds ranged from around-town to 75 mph on highway. His engine was well tuned and therefore had immediate acceleration, would rev smoothly and strongly to 6000 rpm. Enabled effortless passing of slower cars on 2-lane roads. This exceptionally well-behaved engine was almost like a stocker but with acceleration you noticed. I think an Engle 120 would have kept most of those characteristics but increased midrange acceleration. He never took it to the drag strip.

Here's a shot of it in upstate New York on US Route 20 westbound:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide between a 120 or 110 cam Reply with quote

Slot the lifter bores about 1/4"inward and out ward from each oil gally hole.about .050-.080" wide&deep so the rockers get full time full oil pressure when ever the engine is running not the spirt&squirt vw engineered.I also use the 30 mm pump with those mods.along with the pressure booster spring and oe cooler relief spring.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide between a 120 or 110 cam Reply with quote

Hey is TheSamba broken? Where's the post about selling both and buying a Web 163 with 1.3 rockers?

You guys are really falling off. Geez. Very Happy
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide between a 120 or 110 cam Reply with quote

Lrodri64 wrote:

Stomp on the accelerator like a maniac Cool
Lrodri64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide between a 120 or 110 cam Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Lrodri64 wrote:

Stomp on the accelerator like a maniac Cool

Ok, Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: