Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

JSwindoll's 1974 Marina Blue thread
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSwindoll08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: JSwindoll's 1974 Marina Blue thread Reply with quote

offtherailz1 wrote:
Thanks for the comment on the cars.

It sounds like you may have saved your wallet some damage then if you can utilise the air cleaner, thats good. And as your local climate is warmish in the winter then you probably don't need the preheat or the thermostat as your fellow countryman suggest. I think I would make sure that the flap in the filter was drawing cold air not the preheat, that said kAmes has run without issue, tough little engines these.

With the money you've said I would look to 'block' any hole you have on the tinware that once had something in it or had a seal. If you look at kAmes engine and mine for example, where the fresh air pipes run into the tinware they have black rubber seals. One thing the German engineers done on all their engines was stop as much heat from under the tinware, working its way above the tinware, they don't like additional heat.

I've worked on both of my cars for around 40 years now, man and boy, helping my dad, now on my own, plus working on other VW's, but never ran anything other than stock on my own vehicles. Everything works as it should and one has covered nearly 400,000 miles, so whilst these tough little engines can take things that aren't the norm, in my experience, anything other than the norm has a knock on effect and ultimately can shorten the life of the engine. But hey does that matter? I drove these cars around daily for 20 years before I had the internet, so you was more likely to go with what worked in those days because it was your daily, and what tended to work was stock for reliability. These cars are mainly our hobby nowadays and I love seeing what guys on here do to get around problems or things that aren't the norm, I knock no one and try to learn each day. What a great hobby.

Man, I really appreciate your input and advice. I agree with you 100% on what you're saying about stock being reliable. The way I see it, those German engineers where way smarter than me... who am I to question their designs?! I've said from the beginning I want to keep this car as stock as I can, and that philosophy would include the air cleaner. I've added that to my list and I'll get to it when other things aren't more pressing. For now, a new (stock) distributor is next on the list.

Also, point taken about sealing up all the holes. I've got those gaskets you referenced on order now. I THINK that's all I've got besides the questionable engine bay seal... which is also on the list. Thanks again for the input.

IamZardoz wrote:
Yours looks familiar! Mine is a 20 footer, drivers side foam rot, a small hole in driver pan and one small hole in drivers heater channel but nothing too bad. Odometer is broke and fuel gage is unreliable, has some pretty good oil leaks and some strong gas smells at times but no visible leakage (I carry an extinguisher!) On the other hand from 20 feet it looks good, it passed safety inspection and it runs fairly well all things considered. I love it! Smile

That's a good looking car man! Us '74 Marina Blue boys are showing up in this thread Very Happy I'm in the same boat as you though, a 20 footer. Never though of it like that. I've always said mine looks better going down the road than it does under close inspection. I've got dings, a mediocre paint job, bumpers with surface rust, etc. I love mine as well... that's all that matters here!
JSwindoll08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: JSwindoll's 1974 Marina Blue thread Reply with quote

Aright, update from today:

I spent the afternoon working on the bug. My goals were to remove the intake manifold/heat risers to get new gaskets/boots on it (obviously getting the carb off in the process) and document my process carefully with photos so I could get it all back together. I ran into a couple small snags along the way:

1. I broke a rusty bolt on the driver side heat riser. Gotta figure out how to get that out.

2. I couldn't actually get the manifold OUT. It's completely unhooked and ready for new gaskets/boots, but I realized I was going to have to take the alternator and possibly distributor off to get it all the way out. I started questioning if it was necessary to get it all the way out. My original intent was to get it out, sandblast or wire wheel it, paint it, and reinstall. I'm just not sure that it's worth doing all that at this point just to get a coat of paint on it. The rest of my engine bay isn't exactly show worthy, and I can replace the gaskets and boots as it sits now. Opinions? Photo attached.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also noticed that my driver side end casting has what appears to be a vacuum port that was crushed and bent to create as seal by the PO. What's the deal with this and where would it have hooked up? Photo attached

I'd also like to say that I wouldn't have had the confidence to undertake this even 2-3 months ago. You guys have been so awesome in helping educate me about my car without even knowing it. Thanks to all of you.
JSwindoll08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: JSwindoll's 1974 Marina Blue thread Reply with quote

quick question:

I'm ordering gaskets for my end castings and heat risers. Do you guys prefer the fiber gaskets or the metal crush gaskets?
offtherailz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: JSwindoll's 1974 Marina Blue thread Reply with quote

There’s a a few tried and tested ways to get that manifold out. It’s been a few years since I done mine but IIRC you need to remove the alternator. One way is to loosen or remove the alternator strap, remove the fan belt, which you’ll probably do in a service as well,if you’re not replacing, count the shims, chances are though you’ll need to adjust the belt though when you put it back together, but counting the shims is a good starting point if your belt was set correctly beforehand that is. Undo the four alternator plate bolts to remove the alternator and fan and you’ll be able to get the manifold out then, 5mins more , you’re nearly there anyway. Or, as you don’t have the flaps and thermostat connected, you could undo the two tinware screws on each end of the fan shroud, you don’t need to remove them completely, loosen the alternator strap, remove the belt and lift the shroud up and remove the manifold.

So have snapped one of the bolts for the riser into the exhaust and it’s still in the exhaust? If so, it can fixed. You can drill out what you can get out and then tap the hole for a new bolt. I suspect though that means buying the tools to do that, they’re cheap enough but do you need them?? What condition is your exhaust? Is it likely to need replacing soon? Maybe worth just spending a bit more on a new or good used exhaust than more tools you may not use? I bet you have someone near you that has one for beer tokens.

That inlet casting is odd, not seen one tapped before with something actually in it, but you definitely have a bus centre manifold, and not having owned a bus I can’t help, sorry.

As for gaskets I use the white fibre ones on my heat riser tins, and crush between exhaust and the actual riser.

Cuppa tea man, living in a latte world.

1973 1303, one previous owner, my Dad
1975 1303, Fourth owner, mum 1975 to 2014, me from 2017
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711269&highlight=
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740901
JSwindoll08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: JSwindoll's 1974 Marina Blue thread Reply with quote

offtherailz1 wrote:
There’s a a few tried and tested ways to get that manifold out. It’s been a few years since I done mine but IIRC you need to remove the alternator. One way is to loosen or remove the alternator strap, remove the fan belt, which you’ll probably do in a service as well,if you’re not replacing, count the shims, chances are though you’ll need to adjust the belt though when you put it back together, but counting the shims is a good starting point if your belt was set correctly beforehand that is. Undo the four alternator plate bolts to remove the alternator and fan and you’ll be able to get the manifold out then, 5mins more , you’re nearly there anyway. Or, as you don’t have the flaps and thermostat connected, you could undo the two tinware screws on each end of the fan shroud, you don’t need to remove them completely, loosen the alternator strap, remove the belt and lift the shroud up and remove the manifold.

So have snapped one of the bolts for the riser into the exhaust and it’s still in the exhaust? If so, it can fixed. You can drill out what you can get out and then tap the hole for a new bolt. I suspect though that means buying the tools to do that, they’re cheap enough but do you need them?? What condition is your exhaust? Is it likely to need replacing soon? Maybe worth just spending a bit more on a new or good used exhaust than more tools you may not use? I bet you have someone near you that has one for beer tokens.

That inlet casting is odd, not seen one tapped before with something actually in it, but you definitely have a bus centre manifold, and not having owned a bus I can’t help, sorry.

As for gaskets I use the white fibre ones on my heat riser tins, and crush between exhaust and the actual riser.

Offtherailz,

I appreciate your continued detailed replies to help me out. You're right about the manifold.... I've come this far and I've got several days before my gaskets and carb arrive. May as well pull the alternator and clean up the manifold.

As far as the snapped bolt goes: Yeah, the snapped bolt is still in the exhaust. 3 of the 4 came out easily, but the 4th snapped with little resistance. The exhaust definitely needs to be replaced but it's getting the job done for now. As I have the tools to drill and retap the hole, I'm going to go with that route for now and start scanning the classifieds for a NOS German exhaust.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: JSwindoll's 1974 Marina Blue thread Reply with quote

If you get a left handed drill bit you can extract that broken bolt. I've done it twice, and didn't need to re-tap the hole.

Use a spring loaded center punch to make a divot in the end of the broken bolt. Select a small left handed bit and carefully drill down the center of the broken bolt. You don't need a bit anywhere near the size of the broken bolt. Maybe 1/3 of the diameter.

Both times I had a set of ez-outs ready, but as I drilled it relived the pressure on the bolt, and they actually came out with the drill bit.

HF has a small set of left handed bits for like $10 or so.
JSwindoll08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: JSwindoll's 1974 Marina Blue thread Reply with quote

Update!

I've bee waiting on parts to come in to complete what I started. My rebuilt carb is in, and I decide to go ahead and take the plunge and get a rebuilt distributor too. Now I'm just waiting on a few gaskets and vacuum lines to come in.

I wanted to take a second and talk about my experience with the guys I got these rebuilt parts from. All 3 guys communicated quickly and clearly and went above and beyond to help a new mechanic like myself get setup with the correct parts .

First, I bought my Solex 34 pict 3 from Brandon at No Name Garage in Eugene, Oregon. He sent it to me to get cleaned up before I sent it to Tim at Volksbitz. I'm fairly certain a fair amount of you guys have cars that he's worked on, right? Anyway, he installed new throttle shaft bushings as well as his barbed, threaded fuel inlets for me. I opted to not have him do his cosmetic work to the carb as this car isn't a show car and I could use that extra $$ on more parts! He was nice enough to breakdown the carb and check my work, where he found several things that I missed and fixed them for me.

I got my distributor from Bill at Sparxwerks.com Same deal, I had him just do the mechanical work to the distributor. I'm sure he's tired of me asking a million questions, but he never showed it and was extremely easy to work with.

If you ever need carbs or distributors.... I highly recommend these guys. They do fantastic work at reasonable prices and quickly, too! Not to mention they've forgotten more about VWs than I'll ever know.

can't wait for WW and CIP1 to stop being slow AF with shipping so I can get this stuff installed.

Also, I need to get a tachometer to use while tuning everything. Do you guys suggest any certain style/ brand?
JSwindoll08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: JSwindoll's 1974 Marina Blue thread Reply with quote

Alright guys,

I got everything put back together a few days ago. Here's what I did:

-Installed newly rebuilt Solex 34 pict 3 carb
-installed newly rebuilt german SVDA distributor, added vacuum line to distributor
-Replaced the old, cracked intake manifold boots
-Replaced all applicable gaskets

The car turns over but won't actually fire up. I pulled the fuel line coming out of the fuel pump and turned the engine over manually... no fuel coming out. So I'm not getting fuel to the carb. I hopped under the car and unhooked the soft fuel line from where it attaches to the hard line coming out of the tunnel. Fuel poured out from there, so I feel confident in the fact that there isn't an issue between the tank and where the hard line comes out of the tunnel.

Is it possible that its anything other than a bad fuel pump?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: JSwindoll's 1974 Marina Blue thread Reply with quote

Hoses reversed?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Marinablau703
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: JSwindoll's 1974 Marina Blue thread Reply with quote

Nice looking car! I'm kinda partial to the color! My '70-73 isn't nearly as pretty, not even a 20 footer, but it does the job.

The black dust from an earlier post could be your belt disintegrating. Given the importance of it, and the cost of a new one, I'd replace it. Sitting for years doesn't serve the material well.

Going as in-depth to the engine as you are, I'd recommend pulling it. I pulled mine yesterday for a freshening and it took a little over 2 hours, my first time ever dropping one of these engines; much of that time was spent figuring out the right height to get the car up. The first time, it was lifted too high and the jack couldn't reach the engine. This way, you can access everything you need to with ease, replace exhaust as needed, and same for the pushrods. I much prefer doing all that work out in the open on a stand or bench than in the car.

If it were me, I'd leave the oil bath air cleaner. Very few people would know it doesn't belong; most can't tell the difference between a '63 and a '03.

My fuel pump also failed last week, as evidenced by fuel in the oil. Check yours.
JSwindoll08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: JSwindoll's 1974 Marina Blue thread Reply with quote

Jimbo, I double checked the hoses and they're in the right spot. That's definitely something I'd screw up though lol!

Marinablau703, I'm not sure what you're talking about. That's a good looking bug!

Pulling the engine is definitely in my future. My engine bay rubber is bad and I need some new gaskets in the engine as its fairly leaky. Nothing that's alarming, I'd just like to lessen it if I can. I may actually try to drop it this summer. I dunno... it's a little intimidating to me right now.

Also, I replaced the belt when I started driving it again, so it's less than a year old and in good shape. Less than 100 miles on it. I thought that's what was happening as well, so that's why I changed it.

As far as the fuel getting to the carb... it seems to get there intermittently. Before I disassembled everything, it wouldn't get fuel one day and then it would get it the next when I turned the engine over. Any thoughts on that? Is it possible for a fuel pump to act like that when it's on it's way out?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: JSwindoll's 1974 Marina Blue thread Reply with quote

Then, R & R that fuel pump. Betting the diaphragm is going slowly.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: JSwindoll's 1974 Marina Blue thread Reply with quote

JSwindoll08 wrote:
Jimbo, I double checked the hoses and they're in the right spot. That's definitely something I'd screw up though lol!

Marinablau703, I'm not sure what you're talking about. That's a good looking bug!

Pulling the engine is definitely in my future. My engine bay rubber is bad and I need some new gaskets in the engine as its fairly leaky. Nothing that's alarming, I'd just like to lessen it if I can. I may actually try to drop it this summer. I dunno... it's a little intimidating to me right now.

Also, I replaced the belt when I started driving it again, so it's less than a year old and in good shape. Less than 100 miles on it. I thought that's what was happening as well, so that's why I changed it.

As far as the fuel getting to the carb... it seems to get there intermittently. Before I disassembled everything, it wouldn't get fuel one day and then it would get it the next when I turned the engine over. Any thoughts on that? Is it possible for a fuel pump to act like that when it's on it's way out?

That's a great looking bug! Did you get it running? You have an aftermarket fuel pump that are not rebuildable. As someone mentioned, it might have gave up the ghost.

When fuel pumps sit for a long time, the diaphragms can dry out. When you start the bug again, the pump will work for a short time and then the diaphragms rip and it stops pumping.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: JSwindoll's 1974 Marina Blue thread Reply with quote

JSwindoll, did you manage to get the intake manifold out for its refresh, or will you wait for the future when you take the engine out and take the fan shroud off together with the alternator? Sandblasting the manifold and especially the outer surfaces of the preheat pipes will be effective, but you also need to blow air through either of the preheat pipes to verify that they are not clogged up inside from carbon. The sandblasting of the preheat pipes will get the rust off, but the rust has created pockmarks and craters which will still remain. You can use a fine file or 100 grit sandpaper to smooth down the preheat pipe surface; you only need to do that on the sections visible from the rear. I redid a manifold like yours in 2019 and did not bother with the pipe sections that face frontward.

Shoot your blaster tip into the manifold's large pipes also:

As to your air cleaner- I agree that you can keep your oil bath. KAmes' even has the weighted flap on his. When I prepared the intake manifold for my 1600, I freshened up an old air cleaner like yours by repainting with semi-gloss black, a new sticker which I carefully positioned to be in the center, and reformed the air intake snout because it was slightly ovaled. Mine was missing the flap.

I also fitted the stovepipe as others have mentioned, finding one for a few dollars at a swap meet. It has 2 attachment points- one goes to the muffler stud so that you'll need to first remove the 13 mm nut. Careful- use nut splitter, heat + good penetrant. The other point is one of the screws that goes along the rear edge of your right cylinder tin. The stovepipe does pass through that sunken larger hole to the right rear of your crank pulley.

For reference, here's a stock engine in a '74 Beetle with 31,000 miles that I photo'd in Oct. 2018. Note that the intake manifold has double preheat pipes, which is for the California market where the car was sold new.
JSwindoll08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: JSwindoll's 1974 Marina Blue thread Reply with quote

Rome, thanks a lot for the informative post! I never managed to get the intake manifold out, but like I said a few posts back... I'll have to drop the engine sooner or later. I'll take care of getting the manifold cleaned up at that point! Thats a beautiful engine bay you've got there....I hope to have mine looking like that one day.

Bill, I think that's what happened to mine. I'll be getting with you soon about that fuel pump I emailed you about.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: JSwindoll's 1974 Marina Blue thread Reply with quote

Quote:
Thats a beautiful engine bay you've got there
It's not my car; I only photographed and admired it during a VW Fall Foliage Cruise in southern New York in 2018. The originality of the car and the engine impressed me so that I took numerous photos just for reference as to "factory correctness".

My Beetle is a Lime Green Metallic '77 (Standard) Sedan that's had numerous different engines and modifications. At moment it still has the Solex 34 PICT-3 carb/manifold/air cleaner pictured above on temporary basis; I've otherwise always had dual carbs since I bought it in '92. The engine runs really well but I have a 1776 engine shortblock and Dell'Orto 36 DRLA dual-throat carbs awaiting reassembly which will go into it.

On your manifold, make certain that the large hose remnant/plug going off to the left under the carb attachment flange is sealed off well. Any air leakage will cause the mixture to go lean- the additional air being pulled in by the negative pressure/relative vacuum inside of the manifold "dilutes" the mixture coming out of the carb. My left manifold end casting also has a small pipe like yours, and I just put a rubber cap on it to seal it off. That would also be a simple precaution for your pinched-over pipe end.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: