Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a local ‘71 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
jmstu76 wrote:

Why is the Kennedy Clutch your favorite upgrade?

Im running a 200mm VW Kennedy Stage 1, 1700 lb. Pressure Plate with a Valeo 6 spring disc and a balanced and faced OG flywheel. I like the weight of it, I like the way it engages (both up and down) and grabs the gears, it’s crisp, it’s smooth and does not chatter. It feels true every time you engage it. For $110 - $160, depending on where you buy it, it’s an amazing upgrade especially with a large displacement engine. This is the second one I’ve had and I insisted on it with this build. Comparing cost to benefit, I will not run any other clutch in my VW.

Sounds like a nice unit. I assume it’s only made for the type 1 power plant...??

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Well I did it, Kennedy pressure plate is installed. Bout broke my hand trying to adjust it. Definitely a heavier spring.

2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

jmstu76 wrote:
Well I did it, Kennedy pressure plate is installed. Bout broke my hand trying to adjust it. Definitely a heavier spring.

That’s great! If you haven’t been using a 1700 lbs clutch, there might be an adjustment period for your leg. But I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

I noticed your new build in your signature line today, I was gonna PM you about the clutch. You beat me to it! Summer off road trip???
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
jmstu76 wrote:

That’s great! If you haven’t been using a 1700 lbs clutch, there might be an adjustment period for your leg. But I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

I noticed your new build in your signature line today, I was gonna PM you about the clutch. You beat me to it! Summer off road trip???

I sure hope so. Is there a thread covering the trip yet?

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

The slider was latching well, but it was sliding like shit. Much better now! Looks like I’m slamming it, but I’m lightly pulling it. Should be a breeze to gently close late night at a camp ground.

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Good work with the door, here’s a shot of the new powerplant

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

^Theres a lot of awesome stuff happening in that engine bay!!!

4CORE will be July 30 thru August 1st this year. Rhythms on the Rio is August 6 - 8 and I’m sure most of us on the trip will be extending it till then. Last year there were 100 buses in bus camp at Rhythms. You should bring the family out for the week!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Hey Rich.....

Did you ever figure out what was up with your rear pop top hold down? I have one in a pile of parts that came with my bus and haven’t installed it yet, but looks like I’ll be in the same situation.

Nice early bay you have!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeridmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Rich. Great thread and lots of information on your build. Super cool. You mentioned I should stick with the stock trans in the bus rather than a Freeway. What is the reason behind that? I have read that more than once on here. Thanks in advance for your help.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

brando90gl wrote:
Hey Rich.....

Did you ever figure out what was up with your rear pop top hold down? I have one in a pile of parts that came with my bus and haven’t installed it yet, but looks like I’ll be in the same situation.

Nice early bay you have!

There is a thread on it in this forum, but I was unable to find it. It that thread BusDaddy states that the end of the hold down with the C-Chanel hooks to the roof and the rear of the hole down touches the top of the roof on an angle. He even posted a picture of it. In my case, and the case of every who posted I think, the rubber part of the hole down was a tad long for that to actually work. So I just stuck with the small piece of 3/16” OSB, it takes up the space and secures the hole down nicely.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

jeridmark wrote:
Rich. Great thread and lots of information on your build. Super cool. You mentioned I should stick with the stock trans in the bus rather than a Freeway. What is the reason behind that? I have read that more than once on here. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks!

The reasons I think you should stick with the stock 002 transaxle are: the freeway flyer (FF) will allow you to go faster but, your engine will not spin as fast which means your fan will spin slower and hinder your engine from properly cooling. If you want to drop am few RPM and not hurt the cooling you could go to a larger tire size like a 195r14c or a 27x8.5.

The stock transaxle matched to a 2L T1 will offer more torque the the FF. This will allow you to move the bus easier and quicker. So accelerating will be better with or with out a load. The 002 will push a heavy load better, which I need as we often pack our bus with vending gear and go to festivals where my wife vends her jewelry. The torque is also nice to have while off road camping. Not necessarily four wheeling, but while cruising forest service roads in 2nd and 3rd gear.

A well tuned 2L T1 with a 002 will cruise 60-65 nicely on the highway and have plenty of power in the bank if you need to accelerate quickly to get out of harms way. You’ll also have the power and torque you’ll need to maintain your speed on the hills and mountain passes. You’re driving a bus, it’s nice to have the power but it’s also nice to just cruise and enjoy to adventure. So to me maintaining 60-65 is nice compromise.

Pretty much everyone on this forum will tell you not to build a 2L stroker. They’ll tell you they are unreliable, they run hot, they will explode etc etc...and all that could happen, but it could also happen with a stock build. To me a stock engine is nice but I think driving one can be dangerous. In this day and age people are on the gas and drive fast, I found that I was scared and nervous behind the wheel when I could only go 30 in a 65. People would approach so fast I was concerned that they would just run into me. The 2L gives you just enough additional power to keep up with traffic on flat ground and the torque you need to maintain that speed on the hills.

I hope you choose the 2L and have many fun adventures with your bus and your family!

Good luck
Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

^^^^^ listen to the man^^^^^ stock Bus's are dangerously slow with todays fast, drug using, distracted drivers. I no longer take my (stock) Bus on any high speed roads due to some really close calls as of late.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Back at the shop...

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

What’s going on , Rich?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Just giving it some love.

All 4 OG ball joints were still with spec, so they are staying but torn boot is being replaced. New tie rods, drag link and alignment. The rebuilt steering box leaks like a sieve, so that’s being attended too. New Airhead parts front door seals and a new slider seal, I’ve already replaced the engine hatch and rear door seals. I’ve been noticing some moisture around the #1 pushrod tubes. Turns out they are both leaking, maybe seeping is a better way to describe it. So those are being replaced as well. The builder was pretty pissed about the seep, so I would imagine he’s gonna replace all 8 tubes. I also told him to do anything else he’d like or thinks it might need.

Minus the steering box, this is all work that didn’t get done during the initial build because of time restraint. The build went rather quickly, as I needed to have a bus to attend 4CORE that summer. After this is completed, I’m pretty sure everything will be done (I know it’s never done) except the seals on the 4 side windows. Surprisingly, those are not leaking.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Picked up my bus from the shop today, woot woot!!! The OG ball joints were still with in spec, so I had the one torn boot replaced. As well as new tie rods, drag link and an alignment done. Turns out it had 2 seeping push rod tubes. Bum deal was these were CB push rod tubes, CB says these are the only ones they’ve heard of problems with. How come I’m the only one putting CB shit to the test? All 8 tubes were replaced, and currently dry as a bone. Had the Aircooled.net front door seals installed, no more whistle now. The leaking steering box was drained and resealed. It was filled with grease to avoid leaking in the future. After I got it home I changed the oil with the Lucas Zink additive. I bought a propane fire pit from the neighbors yard sale today. I ordered a Jeremy Rock hitch, hopefully that will be here next week. After the oil change I chased the threads in the frame where the hitch will mount. Just need to order an awning and we’ll be set for festival season, you know it!!!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Sounds like a good day.

Link
[/youtube]

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Just ordered a ARB 2500 awning, bam! 💥 We do not have a ARB dealer here in Durango, so this was going to be a internet purchase. I scoured the internet for an hour and I was only able to find 2 in stock, both were at Summit Racing. This was also what I found last summer when I looked. So I figured I should just buy it.

Sounds like I’m gonna be able to get Go Westy mounting brackets from a local VDuber, holla!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Items have been rolling in. My Awning showed up and wasn’t damaged, stoked on that! I ended up having to order the mounting brackets from Go Westy as my buddy locally couldn’t find the ones he has. No problem, they had them in stock. But....it takes them a fucking week to process, pick and pack your order. WTF is wrong with these people??? I ordered the awning from Summit on a Saturday, it was shipped on Monday and I received it on Friday. So I can get the awning shipped from Ohio in a week but I can’t get brackets from California in less then 2 weeks. 🙄

I also got my Jeremyrockjock hitch! Which he custom made, shipped it from Virginia and I also got that in a week. The thing is a beast! It is very well made, the welds are great, the mounting holes are slotted and it has all the correct holes to mount to bumper and the splash pans. Hoping to install that this weekend.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Lookin good. What do you plan on pulling?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 26

Jump to: