Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Breaking Pedals and Cables
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzbug72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Breaking Pedals and Cables Reply with quote

Over the past almost 20 years I've owned the car (72 Super), I've had multiple clutch cables stretch and break, as well as the actual clutch pedal itself. Bowden tube in place and adjusted, Kennedy stg1 pressure plate. My pedal feels hard as heck and I can't imagine what stg2 or beyond feels like. I don't know what a stock one feels like, never driven one. How come it's so hard and breaking pedals? I've been using the Unique Bug Parts (Classic Bug Parts) clutch lever for several years. I can't use the "long" lever arm on the trans because it hits the package tray underneath.

Is there a source for heavy duty cables?

Is there any reason my clutch feels so heavy with a stg1?

Last edited by Buzzbug72 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking Pedals and Cables Reply with quote

Lack of lube and worn out parts on a 48 year old car
Buzzbug72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking Pedals and Cables Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Lack of lube and worn out parts on a 48 year old car

I always grease my cables. My pedal assembly is a semi-freshly refurbed unit. Clutch fork and bushings are maybe 5yrs old. Can you explain what you mean?
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking Pedals and Cables Reply with quote

Hmm. Clutch cables usually last for 10yrs or more.

If you are hurting your pedal, then you defiantly have too much pressure going on.
Stage 1 should only feel a little bit harder than stock clutch.

I broke my pedal with a stage 3 clutch after 10yrs of drag racing.

Are you sure you aren't over-stroking the clutch?
Have you adjusted it so you have some free play at the top?

Something is definitely wrong here.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking Pedals and Cables Reply with quote

FWIW, on my old '65 Bug, the clutch pedal broke, so I found a replacement. I chocked it up to age, fatigue, and some rust earlier in its life. I cleaned, deburred, and lubed the new parts, and they worked flawlessly ever since (car was sold years ago).
Buzzbug72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking Pedals and Cables Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
Hmm. Clutch cables usually last for 10yrs or more.

If you are hurting your pedal, then you defiantly have too much pressure going on.
Stage 1 should only feel a little bit harder than stock clutch.

I broke my pedal with a stage 3 clutch after 10yrs of drag racing.

Are you sure you aren't over-stroking the clutch?
Have you adjusted it so you have some free play at the top?

Something is definitely wrong here.

Ok, something to look at for sure. I don't know what a stock clutch feels like so I had no reference. I don't like a lot of free play at the top so maybe I'm not giving it enough play. I also usually have it adjusted towards the top so it doesn't take much to disengage it. I know some people adjust the engagement point towards the bottom, but I fear if I do that, I won't have much notice before something bends and/or breaks.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking Pedals and Cables Reply with quote

You have to adjust the clutch from the bottom, not the top. Otherwise you risk over-excursion and the PP goes south.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking Pedals and Cables Reply with quote

Buzzbug72 wrote:
Over the past almost 20 years I've owned the car (72 Super), I've had multiple clutch cables stretch and break, as well as the actual clutch pedal itself. Bowden tube in place and adjusted, Kennedy stg1 pressure plate. My pedal feels hard as heck and I can't imagine what stg2 or beyond feels like. I don't know what a stock one feels like, never driven one. How come it's so hard and breaking pedals? I've been using the Unique Bug Parts (Classic Bug Parts) clutch lever for several years. I can't use the "long" lever arm on the trans because it hits the package tray underneath.

Is there a source for heavy duty cables?

Is there any reason my clutch feels so heavy with a stg1?
......................................................................................................................................i had that happen on one of my bugs .i fixed it by going to a 1975 trans that has the longer clutch arm on the trans and has a bigger clutch shaft on the 1975 trans and i all so installing a empi part number 98-7075 clutch pedal shaft that has a longer clutch face than a stock one. i i allso installed a new bowden clutch tube. because the old bowden clutch tube . had a grove wore into it .from the clutch cable rubbing against the end of the bowden tube on the trans . it was cutting the clutch cable over time ..it work well with the stage 1 all so does your clutch pedal have a clutch stop.on your clutch pedal it stops you from pushing the clutch pedal to fare.into the fire wall its bolted to the clutch pedal and has a rubber tip on it spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buzzbug72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking Pedals and Cables Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
i had that happen on one of my bugs .i fixed it by going to a 1975 trans that has the longer clutch arm on the trans and has a bigger clutch shaft on the 1975 trans and i all so installing a empi part number 98-7075 clutch pedal shaft that has a longer clutch face than a stock one. i i allso installed a new bowden clutch tube. because the old bowden clutch tube . had a grove wore into it .from the clutch cable rubbing against the end of the bowden tube on the trans . it was cutting the clutch cable over time ..it work well with the stage 1 all so does your clutch pedal have a clutch stop.on your clutch pedal it stops you from pushing the clutch pedal to fare.into the fire wall its bolted to the clutch pedal and has a rubber tip on it spencerfvee

My clutch pedal does have a stop on it that keeps it from hitting the firewall. The pedal shaft that you mentioned look stock to me. I am using the Classic Bug Parts bolt-on shaft. My Boden tube is new and adjusted.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking Pedals and Cables Reply with quote

How many cables have you broke after the pedal rework, clutch fork and bushings and lubed cable?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking Pedals and Cables Reply with quote

I make bearing pivots. Never have settled on the ideal design. I think the one I have now uses a rollerskate bearing. Been in there a loooong time I don't really remember exactly.

There may be very simpler ways to do it.
Like using a single "master link", you know, roller chain.
The stock system as stupid as it is can work sometimes... so there must be a difference.
One theory I have is.... the cable end piece is just not round enough or hard enough anymore to establish a nice pivot point.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking Pedals and Cables Reply with quote

I'm running one of these bushing type cable hooks. In 5 years, it hasn't given me a lick of trouble. Even after I switched to a stage 1 PP.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The add,
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1087010
A stock PP feels just a little less stronger than a stage 1. I really didn't notice much of a difference, between the two.

But I will be readjusting my pedal throw so it engages the clutch sooner off the floorboard. Thanks for that tip guy's!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Buzzbug72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking Pedals and Cables Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
How many cables have you broke after the pedal rework, clutch fork and bushings and lubed cable?

One cable, and one pedal.
Buzzbug72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking Pedals and Cables Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I'm running one of these bushing type cable hooks. In 5 years, it hasn't given me a lick of trouble. Even after I switched to a stage 1 PP.
The add,
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1087010
A stock PP feels just a little less stronger than a stage 1. I really didn't notice much of a difference, between the two.

But I will be readjusting my pedal throw so it engages the clutch sooner off the floorboard. Thanks for that tip guy's!

That’s what I’ve been using for several years.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking Pedals and Cables Reply with quote

Only true Bug guys will enjoy this one. In 1989 my wife surprised me with 1973 bug, it was a blue automatics.

At the time I changed 2 Sqbk's from auto to stick, the only issue was they did not have the clutch tube. One I made a clutch tube and it was not easy mounting it, you have to get it right.

The second I went hydraulic that was worse. I dreaded thinking about the install for the bug.

Got lucky, VW made that year bug with a clutch tube, that was not the best part of the story, the tube was sealed at both ends at the factory. I took off the seals and told my friend a the other end another bug nut, to grab the cable on his end as I push it thru the tube. I hear OMG, wow!!! He says check this out!!!

As the cable exited it pushed a load of 20 old pure from the factory virgin grease. Ya had to be there!!!

BTW, same grease and cable in the red car I drive today. Bus Clutch 210mm T-4 engine. Very stiff clutch. Always have a clutch and accelerator cables in the tool box.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: