Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Info & Locating a Type 3 distributor FI Auto 311905205M
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwsplitvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Info & Locating a Type 3 distributor FI Auto 311905205M Reply with quote

I have been searching for the correct fuel injection distributor for our type 3 automatic for some time.
States it should be the 311 905 205 M prefix with vac advance.

Struggling to find one anywhere.

How different is one of the M prefix to say an L prefix vac ad

Currently the car has a 914 FI distributor and I am sure the correct distributor would improve the cars running.

But if one of the other type 3 auto FI specific prefixes is just as good then I will try that.
I have a couple of different ones as spares.

Does anyone have an M prefix in working order?
SBS #20 UK

RHD 62 Ragtop Beetle Beryl Green
LHD 69 Squareback Peru Green
LHD 63 Splitscreen Highroof Pearl White
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Info & Locating a Type 3 distributor FI Auto 311905205M Reply with quote

vwsplitvan wrote:
I have been searching for the correct fuel injection distributor for our type 3 automatic for some time.
States it should be the 311 905 205 M prefix with vac advance.

Struggling to find one anywhere.

How different is one of the M prefix to say an L prefix vac ad

Currently the car has a 914 FI distributor and I am sure the correct distributor would improve the cars running.

But if one of the other type 3 auto FI specific prefixes is just as good then I will try that.
I have a couple of different ones as spares.

Does anyone have an M prefix in working order?

What year is the car? Engine series? The "M" distributor was used in '69/'70. Is your car still injected?

I made an overlay of several advance curves from the Bentley manuals. You can directly compare the auto (green) and stick (burgundy) for '71. The auto has less vacuum advance than the stick. It has more initial mechanical advance, but the same high-rpm mechanical advance.
Ignore the orange dotted line. The blue is from '70 so you can see the year does matter.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Alternately, though more expensively, you could consider this solution:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=741004
vwsquare2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Info & Locating a Type 3 distributor FI Auto 311905205M Reply with quote

As KT Phil said, this distributor was used in a '69-70 fuel injected automatic according to the reference in this link:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170811040030/http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#C6869FM

That reference notes that VW 311-905-205AD, Bosch 0231 163 016 is a replacement for 311905205M. Maybe you'll have better luck finding a VW 311-905-205AD or Bosch 0231 163 016.

There a couple of folks on the site that specialize in distributors. I don't recall their names offhand, maybe they will chime in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: