Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Conversion to a electric fuel gauge and sender?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Conversion to a electric fuel gauge and sender? Reply with quote

I have a 65' that I just installed a 68' speedo/fuel gauge into. I have everything hooked up, the sender (tube style/electric) grounded. It is working. The issue is the gauge only reads half fuel. When I unhook the gauge then ground it, the gauge does read full. When I unhook it moves to empty.

I have done some reading and multiple places list a few different sizes (I wasn't aware of that beforehand). I currently have a 7 1/2 version installed in my car. I have seen a 280mm version and a 310mm.

Any idea what size would be needed in a stock 65' tank? Think

Thanks ahead of time.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Conversion to a electric fuel gauge and sender? Reply with quote

I am sure there are other ways to do it, but I would do it electronically.

Get a potentiometer (3Watt should be fine).

Cut the wire from the sender and attach it to the Vcc or input of the pot. Connect the other end of the cut wire (that goes to the gauge) to the output of the pot. Ground the ground terminal of the pot.

Fill the tank and slowly adjust the pot until it reads full.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Conversion to a electric fuel gauge and sender? Reply with quote

Is the sender new or an old one?

If new, there has been issues with aftermarket senders not having the same resistance as factory senders.

If the sender is an old unit, it may need to be repaired, here’s a great how-to from the bay window forums...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7706426#7706426

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Conversion to a electric fuel gauge and sender? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Is the sender new or an old one?

If new, there has been issues with aftermarket senders not having the same resistance as factory senders.

If the sender is an old unit, it may need to be repaired, here’s a great how-to from the bay window forums...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7706426#7706426

It is a new sender. I will test it out today and see what happens.

Thanks
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Conversion to a electric fuel gauge and sender? Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:
I am sure there are other ways to do it, but I would do it electronically.

Get a potentiometer (3Watt should be fine).

Cut the wire from the sender and attach it to the Vcc or input of the pot. Connect the other end of the cut wire (that goes to the gauge) to the output of the pot. Ground the ground terminal of the pot.

Fill the tank and slowly adjust the pot until it reads full.

Great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Conversion to a electric fuel gauge and sender? Reply with quote

Take the sender out of the tank...

Use a jumper circuit from the sender mount base to the car ground.. being sure to leave the sender circuit to the gauge attached.

Test the range of gauge readings by sweeping the float arm...
If the gauge reads empty when the float is down and full when the float is up.. the issue is with the tank ground or float arm movement or position in the tank. If the gauge doesn't match float travel.. there is a mismatch between gauge and sender..

The sending unit MUST BE grounded properly. It may be necessary to route an extra ground to the sender base with an eyelet under a sender screw. It is real important to not use the screw insulator on that grounding screw as well.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HBRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Conversion to a electric fuel gauge and sender? Reply with quote

VDO stand is 10-180 Ohm range. There are a bunch of different standards, so the gauge and sender have to match. Are you sure the sender range is correct, and not a GM or Ford standard which may end at 90 Ohms?
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Conversion to a electric fuel gauge and sender? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Take the sender out of the tank...

Use a jumper circuit from the sender mount base to the car ground.. being sure to leave the sender circuit to the gauge attached.

Test the range of gauge readings by sweeping the float arm...
If the gauge reads empty when the float is down and full when the float is up.. the issue is with the tank ground or float arm movement or position in the tank. If the gauge doesn't match float travel.. there is a mismatch between gauge and sender..

The sending unit MUST BE grounded properly. It may be necessary to route an extra ground to the sender base with an eyelet under a sender screw. It is real important to not use the screw insulator on that grounding screw as well.

Great info. Funny thing is I took out the new tube style sender to compare it to the original float version and it is the correct size (7 1/2 length) as the stock one. When I installed it back in tank it was reading correctly at a full tank. I will run it for a few days and see how it does. If it does act up I will come back and do this test you have recommended.

I have an extra ground already ran from the tank mounting bolt. At that time I removed the bolt insulator like you are recommending to ensure I had a good ground. I then tested it to make sure it was a good ground.

Thanks for the info.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Conversion to a electric fuel gauge and sender? Reply with quote

HBRag wrote:
VDO stand is 10-180 Ohm range. There are a bunch of different standards, so the gauge and sender have to match. Are you sure the sender range is correct, and not a GM or Ford standard which may end at 90 Ohms?

Honestly I am not sure what range this sender is. It is for a Ghia tank, I believe a 67-73 model. It is part number 271919051B. I was trying this style out to stop the floating issue I was having with my previous setup.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: