Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

There are two styles of dash clocks for the 1973-1979 Super Beetles; one has a seconds hand and the other does not. I have read that 1973 is the only year to to have only an hour and minute hand and that the seconds hand was added in 1974. Can anyone verify this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This clock dated 11.72 does not have the seconds hand.
minimeadow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

My '73 Super Beetle doesn't have a clock at all. Were they an option? Can you post a picture of the dashboard with the clock installed? Thanks!
Beeble1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

minimeadow wrote:
My '73 Super Beetle doesn't have a clock at all. Were they an option? Can you post a picture of the dashboard with the clock installed? Thanks!

They were an option that was installed at the dealer. They didn’t become standard equipment until 1978 or 1979. (I think?) Creative native is correct, the clock with no seconds hand is for 1973 only.

Both versions of the clock are near impossible to find. I have a clock in my 73, it took me 2 years of searching through the classifieds to find one that wasn’t over $250. I will post a picture later today when I make it out to the garage.

Dealership items from Bishop-Wayne Volkswagen & Turner Volkswagen in Kankakee, IL wanted
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nbvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

Yep, 73 did not have the second hand, and 74+ included it.
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

Yes the clock was a VW "LUXURY" item - and it's fun to think back on this now. There's another small clock change that happened in 1979. The early '79 clocks make a buzzing/click noise and the seconds hand moves in steps. The late '79 clocks are quieter and the seconds hand moves continuously.

I have the buzz/click clock in my Beetle. If I bought a new car like this I'd be furious. But in the Beetle - I love it.
Beeble1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

Dealership items from Bishop-Wayne Volkswagen & Turner Volkswagen in Kankakee, IL wanted
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

I appreciate the replies and confirmations!

I like the idea of having one in my '74 Sun Bug and I found one last year and snatched it up quickly. I bought a spare Sun Bug rosewood dash panel that I plan on cutting the aperture for the clock and cutting round mounting screw covers of the cut piece.

My clock is dated 11.79.
cajun_sun_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

While on this clock topic; sometime back I bought a vdo clock and panel out of one of the luxury models and was looking at it over this past weekend. The panel faux wood is a diff pattern than our sunbugs so then I wondered how that clock comes apart from the panel? It looks to be in two halves but I didn't want to break it, thus my question here; anyone know how those clocks come apart or how to get them out of the panel?
#cajunhotrodder on insta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

cajun_sun_bug wrote:
While on this clock topic; sometime back I bought a vdo clock and panel out of one of the luxury models and was looking at it over this past weekend. The panel faux wood is a diff pattern than our sunbugs so then I wondered how that clock comes apart from the panel? It looks to be in two halves but I didn't want to break it, thus my question here; anyone know how those clocks come apart or how to get them out of the panel?

The clock is 1 piece They're just compression held into the trim piece by the rubber gasket that's around them. It's just a matter of (very) carefully wiggling them out so you don't mess up the trim piece.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cajun_sun_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

BUGGED11111 wrote:

The clock is 1 piece They're just compression held into the trim piece by the rubber gasket that's around them. It's just a matter of (very) carefully wiggling them out so you don't mess up the trim piece.

Yes, maybe the ones installed by the dealer as an add on option but NO, not in this case; see the pics... Wink

#cajunhotrodder on insta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

cajun_sun_bug wrote:
BUGGED11111 wrote:

Yes, maybe the ones installed by the dealer as an add on option but NO, not in this case; see the pics... Wink

That's interesting. I've never seen that before. I wonder if a PO had an issue with the original gasket so they used the front bezel to hold it onto the trim. But I guess it could be a different model.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nbvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

cajun_sun_bug wrote:
BUGGED11111 wrote:

I don't understand what you're trying to show. The plastic surround on the backside of the trim is present on all of those trim pieces whether they have the clock or not. And then there is a roughly half inch ribbed compression gasket that holds the clock in place.

What you took pictures of is how they all look.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

Here is a pic where you can see part of the push-on gasket.

cajun_sun_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

nbvolks wrote:
cajun_sun_bug wrote:
BUGGED11111 wrote:

I don't understand what you're trying to show. The plastic surround on the backside of the trim is present on all of those trim pieces whether they have the clock or not. And then there is a roughly half inch ribbed compression gasket that holds the clock in place.

What you took pictures of is how they all look.

Well I went out to my shop and gave it a good push, Viola!
Thanks for the info. Cool

#cajunhotrodder on insta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

I was checking out eBay Germany and found a Kienzel dash clock for a '73-'79 Super Beetle. I wrote the seller about it, because I've never heard of Kienzel making these clocks for VW, as they did prior (particularly on the Karmann Ghia dash). He told me that this is a VDO case that has had a new Kienzel clock installed. He says it works perfectly.

I've considered buying it myself, although I already have a VDO dash clock that I still have to install on my Sun Bug, but decided that I can't use two. So, I thought to share the information here, so that anyone who wants a functioning dash clock for their Super Beetle and doesn't want to pay four or five times as much for a VDO may have the opportunity to buy this. The ad states that delivery to the U.S. may not be an option, but I wrote the seller and he is willing to send this to the U.S., saying that insured DHL will cost 30 euros.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154510455028?ul_noapp=true

Campagne 1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

Reading the post for super beetle clocks, my 1978 dash has the burled wood look but no panel to remove for the clock. Anyone have a recommendation on icutting a space for the clock? Thanks, Tim
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

When I picked up the complete set of microfilm and a reader from my local VW dealer (they had just switched to digital), I remember finding the part number for the VDO clock. Having never seen one, I called and asked if they had one (expecting that they really never offered it). He replied that there was ONE left in the entire US inventory and asked what it was worth to me (half joking). I was shocked and didn't reply quickly.

He said "we haven't sold one of these in YEARS, so if you want it I will give it to you at cost". I jumped on it (I think it was $50 or so) and picked it up 3 weeks later in the factory box. This was almost 30yrs ago.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-1979 Super Beetle 1303 Dash Clock Styles Reply with quote

The regular Super Beetles have the template for where the clock would be on the front (as in the photo below) and while the models with the wood dash panels do not have this template on the front, there is a recess on the back side that designates the clock aperture. I would consider using a Dremel attachment or jigsaw to carefully cut the hole. If there happens to be any slight imperfections in the cut, the lip of the clock should cover it after installation.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: