Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDC on #1 without pulley or distributor
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Pascal_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: TDC on #1 without pulley or distributor Reply with quote

I am working on assembling my first type 3 engine. I just put the heads and valve covers on and wanted to do the distributor drive next.

I previously set the valves thinking that TDC on #1/3 was where the key of crank would point down and now I also wanted to use this point for inserting the distributor drive at 60° with the crack of the block. At the time of setting the valves it seemed ok as both valves would stop moving around this point while rotating the engine.

Out of curiosity I checked out the pulley realised that if I align the markings with the crack in the block the key of the crank is pointing almost to the left (so 90° past down). So now I am confused and have no idea how to determine what TDC on #1 is.

Can anyone tell me how to determine TDC on #1 without relying on the pulley or distributor since neither of them are fully mounted yet.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: TDC on #1 without pulley or distributor Reply with quote

"At TDC for No1, you should be able to adjust 4 valves. Intake & exhaust on No1, intake on No2 and exhaust on No4.
At TDC for No3, you should be able to adjust intake and exhaust No3, intake No4 and exhaust No2."

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: TDC on #1 without pulley or distributor Reply with quote

Put a wooden dowel in #1 spark plug hole, rotate engine until the dowel is at the top of stroke and both valves are closed. I think this is what you are asking, this will get you in the ball park.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: TDC on #1 without pulley or distributor Reply with quote

Perhaps, more accurately, it will get you at bat.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
_Pascal_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: TDC on #1 without pulley or distributor Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Put a wooden dowel in #1 spark plug hole, rotate engine until the dowel is at the top of stroke and both valves are closed. I think this is what you are asking, this will get you in the ball park.

I found something similar at shoptalkforums but it was kind of complicated (although more accurate).

Your method is much simpler and will give me enough information on whether I can trust the pulley or not. So thanks a lot!
_Pascal_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TDC on #1 without pulley or distributor Reply with quote

Just in case anyone ever finds this and is wondering what happened. I do not know where I got the information that the key on the crank is pointing down on TDC but it is NOT correct.

The marking on the pulley is aligned with the split in the case at TDC. The key at that point is at about 70 degrees after pointing down (so almost pointing to the left).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: