Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 405, 406, 407 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Replaced the 20 month old starter in which the solenoid started sticking Rolling Eyes This is with a relay installed.

Replaced with the original starter I kept.

Found the reverse light wires were barely holding together, patched those. Took longer to do that than replace the starter.

Patting myself on back that I was able to reach and thread the top starter nut reaching behind the fan shroud without removing the deck lid and air cleaner, or dropping the nut. Shocked
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Got my new dash wired up and working. I need to adjust my idle Smile Also need to find some 6-32 oval head black machine screws. Lowes website said they had them in stock but after a 20 minute drive over there they were nowhere to be found in the store.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also installed a new steering wheel the other day -

Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Jimbug57 wrote:
Got my new dash wired up and working. I need to adjust my idle Smile Also need to find some 6-32 oval head black machine screws. Lowes website said they had them in stock but after a 20 minute drive over there they were nowhere to be found in the store.

Looks nice. I have to ask, what do some of the buttons do? The obvious one that needs no explanation is the wiper control with intermittent delay.

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Tried and failed to get the timing gear key out of my old crank to use in my new crank. Now I have to go buy one... Sad

Stupid things are only $3. I probably spent $3 in MAPP gas trying to get it loose. Laughing
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I put the spare wheel/tire I purchased yesterday into the trunk of my '71 Super, to take the place of an even older spare that had "green Slime" in the bead area to try to seal it.

This would be an "emergency only" spare to get me home so I wouldn't have to wait up to 2 hours in Arizona desert for a AAA tow....

My "real" wheels are vintage US Mag 14" wheels with their own type of lug bolts I bought used in the late 1970s, so I have to carry along stock lug bolts in case I need the spare.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I finally installed my trunk liner on my Sun Bug. I'm thinking more of making German square weave trunk liners to match the honey brown interior carpet.

I changed the oil and have been happy with the results of switching to fully synthetic gear oil and engine oil. It is much more quiet and runs smoother.

I also use these Craftsman RoboGrip pliers to tighten the side mirrors. The plastic grips won't scratch the metal. Floppy side mirrors are intolerable.

Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Gr0unded wrote:
Jimbug57 wrote:

Looks nice. I have to ask, what do some of the buttons do? The obvious one that needs no explanation is the wiper control with intermittent delay.

Far left is a horn button that works with power off / wipe and wash / Tachometer / power switch for XM Radio, bluetooth receiver, and my speaker power amp (works with ignition off) / volume knob for stereo / USB charger with digital voltmeter
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

[quote="Jimbug57"][quote="Gr0unded"]
Jimbug57 wrote:
Got my new dash wired up and working. I need to adjust my idle Smile Also need to find some 6-32 oval head black machine screws. Lowes website said they had them in stock but after a 20 minute drive over there they were nowhere to be found in the store

Did you get the SB radio block off plate from uniWerks Design?
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

creative native wrote:

Did you get the SB radio block off plate from uniWerks Design?

No, it was a sheet of textured ABS from Amazon -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JMHGSRP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Besides going on a 100 mile drive, I cleaned and shined the Marathons! I have to say that the Dupli-color wheel paint has held up *very* nicely after 9k miles!! (Or was it VHT....?? Confused )

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

^^^ Wow that yellow paint really jumps out.

I had a long list of things planned for my Beetle on Winter weekends this year. But a severe back injury canceled all that, couldn't walk for a month. I've now recovered to where I can do small jobs and I restarted the work inside my doors today. I removed the dry flaky sound damping material:

Wire brushed the metal:

And primed with Rustoleum:

DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Ordered my new C35 cam (clearanced for my 84mm crank), CC'd the new heads, found that my crank timing gear was fubar'd, as was the ignition timing gear. Happily, I ALSO found that I had spares of both. WOOT!

Finished sanding and priming my intake manifolds for the IDFs. My shoulders hurt after that one. Ugh...
volkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

took them out of their winter storage the 70 wouldn't start wasn't getting any fuel I tried everything but the pump wasn't sending any fuel. Right before I was just going to leave it there till next week I wiggled the fuel pump pin back and forth a millimeter and bam the fuel was flowing.

Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Replaced door panels on the beetle, long overdue. My mother bought new door panels for me as a gift, now she can be proud.

Cleaned up the inside of the door, added sound deadener, tacked in the sticky strip for the vapor barrier.

Cut the vapor barrier from a thick plastic bag material to fit the door.

Put in the new panel, job done.

I had to go back and tighten down the door handle, forward part was loose.

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I installed my new Wolfsburg West running boards today, and that went better than expected. I had been soaking the bolts with penetrating oil every day for the last four days, and it paid off when I went to remove them. The new running boards bolted right on perfectly and are rock solid.

I also hooked up the heater/defroster hose and splitter to the flange coming out of the heater channel in the A pillar. That took some ninja moves and my hands and wrists look like they have been through a meat grinder. The heater hose that I had was a size bigger than the stock hose, but I think that helped me get it over the flange on the heater channel. I accidentally turned on the gas heater while working in that corner, so now know that it works! I've owned this 69 bug for three years and have been too afraid to turn on the gas heater. Now, the entire heat, defrost, and cooling system is working as it did when it left the factory!

Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Last weekend I put new shocks on the back of the 77, and all four bumper shocks got replaced, Now my bumpers are close to square! Swamped the interior with Simple Green, pulled the back seat out of the rafters and installed it.

Front shocks should be on my doorstep for this weekend.
CzyKats44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I looked at it for the first time...

I've recently inherited a '70-something Super. My mother in law down near NYC said if you can get it out, its yours title in hand.

Backstory: Car is on 2nd engine ~32k miles and was running fine (body ~107k miles). It was parked in 1985 when my father in law started using a company car then it became a storage container and shelf for 36 years. Its whole and unmolested.

Plan: I'm a relatively experienced mechanic with zero classic beetle experience. However, the crank turns over with a breaker bar so I'm going to attempt to start it in place. I'm gonna pick up ignition tune up kit, fuel pump and carb to bring with me and run fresh gas out of a red plastic jug strapped to the bumper. Take the wheels off and bang out the brakes to break anything seized there, inflate the tires and try to get it to the trailer under its own power.

I'll give it an honest days worth of work to get it going in place in the near future... If not, I'll drag it out and on to the trailer and off it goes to my garage upstate for some more intensive attention.

Last edited by CzyKats44 on Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Kats, welcome here and good news about your upcoming Beetle. There's a guy on YouTube who has many videos on starting up VW engines that have sat for decades- Mustie1; his videos are titled "Will it run?". Look up a few for VW engines; his process is usually the same: Squirt oil into the cylinders via the spark plug holes for easier engine rotation, clean off the ignition points contact surfaces, pour gas either straight down the carb throat or into the float chamber via the protruding vent pipe, and crank using a jumper pack. Hope you end up getting it running, and certainly "pushable" with breaking loose any rusty brakes. Will you take a low-profile floor jack and jack stands with you? When you first try to push it to see if it rolls freely, don't overlook the obvious- handbrake down, shifter in neutral. Embarassed

Me also being in NY, I looked up where your town is. About 20 yrs ago I was on the Thruway not far away, at the Pattersonville rest area driving my Ghia to meet up with several other vintage VWs and convoy to Michigan. I went to college way up in Potsdam, and many of the guys in the dorm lived around central or northern NY. They regarded any town south of Albany as "New York City".
CzyKats44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:

Thanks for the info! I would be they guy who gets pissed about it being seized because I left it in gear like a dumbass, haha. I plan on bringing all the tools I can possibly fit in the back of the Yukon with the seats down. Two toolboxes and two drawers worth from the rolling box. Yup, lo-pro jack, stands, boxes of hardware, probably clear out my lubricants and cleaners cabinet into a tote, a 9500lb winch on a plate that slides into a 2" receiver, ect.

As for NY; being from LI originally, I always considered the top of Westchester county to be the up/downstate cutoff. However, like your experience, south of Albany seems to be the norm up this way.

It will be a while till I build up some confidence in the Beetle, but I look forward to a destination cruise. My wife is a modern MINI enthusiast and we've taken a few different trips. Our favorite is a regional MINI cruise around and up Mt Washington, NH. So much fun, so many incredible vehicles. I love my GN don't get me wrong but the muscle car crowd likes to go to meets and just sit there and stare ... I prefer a cruise any day of the week.
Snoopy1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

CzyKats44 wrote:
I looked at it for the first time...

I've recently inherited a '73 Super. My mother in law down near NYC said if you can get it out, its yours title in hand.

Backstory: Car is on 2nd engine ~32k miles and was running fine (body ~107k miles). It was parked in 1985 when my father in law started using a company car then it became a storage container and shelf for 36 years. Its whole and unmolested.

Plan: I'm a relatively experienced mechanic with zero classic beetle experience. However, the crank turns over with a breaker bar so I'm going to attempt to start it in place. I'm gonna pick up ignition tune up kit, fuel pump and carb to bring with me and run fresh gas out of a red plastic jug strapped to the bumper. Take the wheels off and bang out the brakes to break anything seized there, inflate the tires and try to get it to the trailer under its own power.

I'll give it an honest days worth of work to get it going in place in the near future... If not, I'll drag it out and on to the trailer and off it goes to my garage upstate for some more intensive attention.

Unless the rear fenders and bumper mounts were replaced at some point, I believe that's a '74, not a '73 ... Those bumper mounts came into use in the '74 model year ... what's the 3rd number of the VIN?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 405, 406, 407 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 406 of 449

Jump to: