Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new pushrod tube issues
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: new pushrod tube issues Reply with quote

Is it possible for a pushrod to flex enough to wear through a tube? When they flex and you have that ring on the pushrod a few inches from where it goes into the case is that from the billows on the tube?

I've lost two new CB pushrod tubes.. There's a slight ring where the pushrod was rubbing somewhere and it seems about in the billow area (where both failed)...

Using HD Alum. Might try chromoly. Just using beehives so not a huge amount of spring pressure.

I got lucky and saved my scat spring loaded pushrod tubes but I don't want to loose another pushrod tube..
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: new pushrod tube issues Reply with quote

Anything is possible but the ring forming on rhe pushrod usually means it's flexing.

Some more engine specs would help us out.

What brand pushrods?
What RPM you been pulling?
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: new pushrod tube issues Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
Anything is possible but the ring forming on rhe pushrod usually means it's flexing.

Some more engine specs would help us out.

I'm mostly wondering if it can flex and rub through the tube in a couple hours of run time.

New 2332, 1.4 rockers (measures at 1.47), webcam 252 (like a 86b but less lift and more duration), tims stage 2 heads, was CB pushrod tubes (wide mouth) but they've been replaced a few mins ago.

I did use CB HD alum pushrods because I already had them. Had the geometry lookin perfect.

On break in one pushrod tube split at the billows. Then today another split at the same spot. I did see a ring on those pushrods but I'm kinda thinkin its because after the tubes split they moved enough to contact the pushrod..
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: new pushrod tube issues Reply with quote

If there were no marks on the pushrods before start up and enough clearance from the tube to start with then my guess is the PRs are flexing.

The PR tube doesn't move so something is hitting it to cause the damage.

Maybe coil bind ???
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: new pushrod tube issues Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
If there were no marks on the pushrods before start up and enough clearance from the tube to start with then my guess is the PRs are flexing.

That was my guess.

I figured HD alum would be plenty. I'm gonna swap one for the ACN version and see how they fair.

As far as RPMs not a whole lot. I haven't spun it very high, more like a stock motor. I have messed with the throttle going up hills to help the rings seat but I don't let a new motor build RPMs. Don't care what others do..

I ran CB pushrods and have had them flex a little but I've never had them rub through a pushrod tube BUT I've always used the scat wide mouth spring loaded..

Really hoping the CB one piece "Racing" pushrod tubes just suck and swappin in the scats fixes the issue..
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: new pushrod tube issues Reply with quote

Personally I like the spring loaded PR tubes.
And yes you may need some stiffer pushrods.
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: new pushrod tube issues Reply with quote

I like the spring loaded ones way more now... I've never had them leak but I thought a one piece design would be a good idea.

I'm gonna order a single standard HD alum pushrod from ACN and check for signs of flex. If its good I'll order a set. If not I'll go dual taper, I forgot about those.

Crazy.. I figured with the beehive being slightly less spring pressure (lots less without lift) than even the standard VW duals I'd be alright. After reading what CB says about their PRs the description does say up to 400lbs pressure and I have less... ACN version says 400-500. We'll see.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: new pushrod tube issues Reply with quote

How long are your pushrods? I have a set of ACN’s HD aluminum rods I can send you. I believe mine are 277mm in length

Also have a set of Manton Chromoly rods, 281mm in length. They are slightly used, but in good condition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: new pushrod tube issues Reply with quote

There is no such thing as a 3/8 aluminum pushrod that does not flex, they might not fail but they sure do flex. The answer is in link below.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2159797
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: new pushrod tube issues Reply with quote

Dan I actually almost used your pushrods. I already had a set of CB pushrods and life throws twists..

I appreciate the offer from txoval. Waiting for work to start up again so I'm on a super tight budget. Mine are a touch long @ 11"

I'll likely contact you dan in a couple weeks when work starts up again.

Right at the end of the build my Jeep Cherokee caught on fire (lights melted, rims are bare..), unfortunately I was shuffling parts to/from work to clean up and paint so I lost quite a bit. Had to get my old ladies 2002 vw bug going and BAM the oil pump failed and took the turbo with it.

Anyways... Thanks for the answers guys.
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: new pushrod tube issues Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had similar problem i went from the thin wall chromoly pr’s to the thick wall chrom pr’s. But I have cb650 springs. Problem went away for me. You may have to zoom in to see the damage but sounds like what you are experiencing.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: new pushrod tube issues Reply with quote

rocker side play, rocker aliginement,pushrods,tube moving as many do if they are not fully seated when assembled. dieing lifter bore...many things can cause it.as well as spring pressures, camshaft,spring coilbind or too close to coil bind,keeper to guide clearance,valve float...and probably more. some springs can start getting coil bind quite far from total coil bind/stack up.rong geo or tubes that are the rong size.... find the issue and fix it. or throw $$ at it
guessing and wish for the best.. even wonkey pushrod tubes can do it....
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: new pushrod tube issues Reply with quote

db69 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had similar problem i went from the thin wall chromoly pr’s to the thick wall chrom pr’s. But I have cb650 springs. Problem went away for me. You may have to zoom in to see the damage but sounds like what you are experiencing.

Spitting image there... just on the tubes that leaked.

Removed the POS CB “racing” pushrod tubes and installed my old scat pushrod tubes. The tubes that didn’t leak have no rub marks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: