Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Type 34 thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:
Here's an ebay link with some pictures of the 'carpet nails' that are similar in shape to what was used in the VW.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392179002687

VW used black (oxided) nails to hide them a little. They used different lengths in various places. I collected a bunch of these for my car from various Ghias over the years.

In my own car, they caused some of the rust it had. Just something to keep in mind.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:
Here's an ebay link with some pictures of the 'carpet nails' that are similar in shape to what was used in the VW.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392179002687

VW used black (oxided) nails to hide them a little. They used different lengths in various places. I collected a bunch of these for my car from various Ghias over the years.

Yup, that's the looks, but those are quite long and don't have thread all the way which I think is necessary when the carpet isn't really thick.

Also the original ones are black as you said.

Neither of mine had those as typ14 had repro carpets glued in place and type34 really didn't have carpets at all and I haven't seen those for sale anywhere.

With "Twist Thread Drive" I could find (google) almost correct type , but those I found, were way too large for this purpose 7mm thick and 45mm long.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
In my own car, they caused some of the rust it had. Just something to keep in mind.

Well, a steel nail banged through the steel, no protection whatsoever, I'd be surprised if that didn't happen. On the other hand, Karmann didn't really care if the cars rust or not and nails are really, really fast to install. Wink

I might go to other direction: drill a hole, like 4mm or so, paint it, put a plastic plug in it and a tiny screw/nail into the plug. Plug causes a small bump outside but under the carpet it doesn't really matter much.

At least less rust prone solution and should look the same from outside.

Whole thing is so far just a theory as I haven't been able to find correct nails yet, so I might have to go to screws anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

JBugs and CIP1 sell them, too.

The link to what CIP1 sells:

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D863%2D149%2DSET
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marvel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

I used black, big head self-tappers on mine as I didn't want to glue the carpet and it looked factory. Just don't drill through the carpet as the thread will wrap round the drill bit.
1970 Porsche 718RSK Replica
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:
JBugs and CIP1 sell them, too.

The link to what CIP1 sells:

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D863%2D149%2DSET

Ooh!

That's what I've been looking for, thank you very much!

Really hard to search, I've noticed. Have to bookmark the link so I won't lose it.

CIP1 has other stuff I need too so the freight isn't a problem.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Marvel wrote:
I used black, big head self-tappers on mine as I didn't want to glue the carpet and it looked factory. Just don't drill through the carpet as the thread will wrap round the drill bit.

I've punch pliers, those should do the trick. Nail needs a very small hole (to carpet) anyway so it shouldn't be a problem.

I hope I can re-use the nail holes car already has, just need to find them first.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Recognize the cars - quiz?

Looks very much like a German town but tram doesn't fit to any I know, so no idea which.

Somewhere in mid-60 I'd say.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Awesome video, thanks.
Russell Ritchie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Hi

Can anyone help, i have managed to save a 65 Sunroof Type 34, however i only have the sliding roof section, the motor and the switch, all other parts rails, cables, etc are missing.

1) I'm looking for some decent diagrams or photos of the set up and how to install.
2) I'm looking for any parts to get this complete, ideally a complete roof clip with all the parts still installed would help.

Happy to share pictures of car to show its a genuine Razor Sunroof, that just needs the parts back....

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks

Russell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Have you checked out the links in the very first post of this thread? Lots of reference materials you can download in those links.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Quote:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:33 pm Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread
Hi

Can anyone help, i have managed to save a 65 Sunroof Type 34, however i only have the sliding roof section, the motor and the switch, all other parts rails, cables, etc are missing.

1) I'm looking for some decent diagrams or photos of the set up and how to install.
2) I'm looking for any parts to get this complete, ideally a complete roof clip with all the parts still installed would help.

Happy to share pictures of car to show its a genuine Razor Sunroof, that just needs the parts back....

Any help or advice appreciated.

I just posted the parts you need in the classifieds Smile
bullethead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Hey Jeff, if Russ wants to lighten his purchase a little bit, I'd happily take the broken cable... how much for the bum one? Wink

Vintage Driven... Oil Cooled

'62 Porsche 356 Notchback Hotrod
'63 VW Type 34 Karmann Ghia
'64 VW Bus 21 Deluxe Samba
'67 Porsche 911 S
'68 Porsche 911 T Targa
'70 Porsche 914/6 GT
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Shameless Plug Rolling Eyes Laughing

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2464890

Pics

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FKUSxneZRTiMr4py5

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

More time spent. Pedro made a chrome run and I joined in. Got the fogs & headlights done.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

a Canadian T34 that showed up on the local buy and sell on facebook.
pretty paint but lacking some detail for the $42,000 cdn price tag

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/528113585143040?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/528113585143040?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

Might be worth it if it were still stock and done correct.

My finished fogs. Cool Laughing

Headlights next.

Set the T14 Top on for giggles.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:

Nice looking car.

The embroidered seats - Not my style but nice work by someone doing the Ghia script

Weird it's mostly "done" but they didn't do any coverings for the front and rear trunks.
Also no spare tire cover tray
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 57 of 60

Jump to: