Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Question for anyone, I asked above but may have gotten lost, how much do I tighten down on the pivot bolt? Not sure if I crank it down all the way, or just leave it loose enough to rotate smoothly.
Jeff

Tighten the bolt enought to allow the frame to move. Over time there will be a small play.
Read the following topic:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528076
And be sure that the frame is moving freely in all intended directions, pay attention to the video in that topic!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Adjust the door windows and add the rubbers seals before you do the top. Make everything line up before building up the fabric
Nicholas

Will do for sure, thanks Nicholas

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Good progress! Sheetrock in the Haus! Dash looks good, too. Did you install a hidden remote controlled glovebox latch?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks Sir, I just haven't gotten around to installing the glove box latch. If my skillset went beyond barely being able to wire up the main harness, a remote glove box latch would be cool. The drywall covers the insulation I installed and helped keep out some of the cold on the few cool days I was able to go out. If I keep the doors closed and a little space heater running, it's tolerable.
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks to the great instructions in the Sticky's for installing a convertible top, I went out and did a frame adjustment where the large piece lands on the body just behind the front door. Used a couple of paint sticks that measured 1/4". Left side was close but needed to be raised only slightly. Right side was way too close, so loosened the 3-bolts on the frame bolts, tapped it underneath the main pivot, and raised to the proper height, just putting pressure on the sticks. I also found what appeared to be a frame stop bolt which adjusts the forward movement of the frame, ran that bolt out so the header bow was just slightly behind the forward edge of the windshield frame, if I understood the instructions correctly.

The only thing I am finding questionable at this point is the right latch hook to the windshield catch. I ran the hook as tight as it can go into the latch, and it barely puts pressure on it; the left side is fine. Am thinking two things, the catch is kind of worn after many years and the metal is soft, or when I put all the padding and top material in place it will take up the slack. Any ideas on this??

I'm lucky to have the top and rear window frame rubber that I removed when cleaning up the frame, and it's in good condition, was probably replaced at some point, so I did a trial fit and the cuts at the upper rear corner appear to sit together well and the small screws line up, very helpful.

Still concerned about the gap at the front of the windshield, but need to wait until I get the front post rubber to check. Didn't get any pics today, but will try to get some later to show what I mean.

Jeff

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

I've only worked on my top, and I'm not an expert by any means but most convertibles I look at in pictures show about a half inch of the painted section of the windshield frame. Once you put the material and padding over the header bow, it might cover all of the painted portion?? Pulling it back a bit should take up the slack on your the latch handle.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks Marc, I'm thinking the same thing. In following the great instructions from Ghia Addict, the tension of the straps and cables will tighten things up a bit, so the hooks should latch with proper tension.
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

NoDents wrote:
Jeff,

One mistake I made in redoing my top/front bow was to forget to have the alignment pins in place WITH the rubber inserts in the windshield frame before screwing it all together.

I have issues with the pin alignment now that the car is done. Embarassed

Hi Rick,
Thank you so much for your advice and the heads up on this. I just got the rubber cups and pins, put them all in place, and while they line up, the pin on the left side screws up higher into the bow, need to scrape a bit of wood away, and the pin and bracket on the right side extends further away from the bow, toward the frame, and doesn't sink as far into the frame as expected.

What would you recommend to bring that pin up into the bow, use some kind of shims or washers under the screws, raising up the mounting plates in their space on the bow? That's the only thing I can think of to draw those pins up and allow the top to sink further into the frame. I think even if the plates are a bit proud above the edge of the bow, the padding and cover should cover it enough to not be noticeable when all together.

Any advice from those who may have faced this issue is greatly appreciated.
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Did a bunch of tinkering over the last week. After installing two failed gas door release cables, made by one of our favorite suppliers, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a used original....same price as the two repops I wasted my money on. Cleaned up the original I bought, lubed the cable, and had it installed in about 10 minutes. Adjusted a few hoses, did some trimming on the section of the wood bow I repaired, got the doors adjusted better by tightening the strikers a bit more, they kept sliding out of position and not latching all the way, now they seal tight.

Cleaned up and installed the mirrors, they look pretty good. Played with the top latch brackets mounted on the windshield frame. When I dug out the sun visors, I realized they were connected to the brackets, after buying a replacement set...sucks buying parts you already have. Maybe I'll put up in the classifieds.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Continue to push on with all the little nitnoid items that add up. Hoping to get my engine back so I can try firing it up...fingers crossed the guy working on it will get it back to me soon, that would motivate me even more.
Jeff

Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

rbsurfguy, your right hand mirror sits up a bit, might it be from a beetle? Though it does look the correct length
Mine were both flatish like your left hand mirror. On the other hand if you can see it easily it doesn't really matter, safety is what matters.
And...... the car is looking excellent, nice work with the sound deadening.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Hi Ian, this is the mirror I have always had on the car since owning it, 1993, and may look higher, but the arm is longer so it can be viewed from the drivers seat, as you know. You may be correct and this mirror was put on by the PO. I think I do have another right mirror with a lower profile arm. I'll check it out and see. I just remember that it was a bit more corroded and the mirror was missing some reflection. Thanks for pointing out and the compliment. It's been a lot of work to get to this point as everyone who rebuilds one of these knows!
Jeff

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
rbsurfguy, your right hand mirror sits up a bit, ...

The proper high speed right hand mirror angle? Wink
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Looks the same as mine then from that angle. Love that Ghia and all the engineering that went into building it, wish I could do the same! But if that cool looking Ghia has a high cocked right mirror....I'm happy to 'reflect it'!
Jeff

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Both door mirrors can be installed 2 different ways by rotating the threaded base plate 180 degrees.
The base is wider on one side. Depending on how the base is mounted, the mirrors can point up at a greater angle, or point outward more.

From what I've read here on TheSamba, the cars were shipped from the factory with the mirrors inside the car.
Dealers would actually put them on. If the bases were already mounted at the factory, then the angle was determined
at the factory. But if dealers installed the base as well as the mirror, it might account for the angle being different?
However, it makes sense that different workers at the factory could also mount the base in different ways.
I have a sales brochure for 1967 and it shows a car at the end of production in the factory and it has the mirror at the lower angle,
which to me makes more sense.

Did you put the base on the same way for both mirrors? Your passenger side looks like it's at the higher angle while the drivers side looks to
be at the lower angle? But maybe it's just the way the photo was taken? Or the way the mirror is adjusted.

I've tried to read up on this to see if the design was meant to be one way or the other, but I've not found anything that implies one is correct by design?? I like the mirrors at the lower angle.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Decided to go out and put hands on and do something today. I played with mounting the rubber on the convertible top to start that adjustment process with the door glass, didn't get any pics as I'm still playing with it, will post another time.

I then put the rear bumper loosely together to pre-fit and see how it looked.

Can someone tell me if the bumper over riders look correct? I had them marked opposite of the sides I have them now, but when I put them on, they didn't set right, kind of pointed away from center, so I switched them and they look more straight....Do they look correct? Look again, It's the same pic, not a before and after.

If you have a direct straight shot of your rear bumper, feel free to post. In the gallery I only found one decent straight on shot from a chap in Scotland.

Jeff

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

I did the same thing to mine when I got them back from the chrome shop. They’re clearly marked left and right however they did look like they were pointing to the outside of the car so I swapped mine as well I think they look much better.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff, I agree. I looked all over mine to find the German letter markings but couldn't locate them, there was some corrosion in the area, so that could be the reason. Your early bumpers also look cool with the wrap around towel bars. Looks great!!
Jeff

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

I did the same Wink
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Another question while I'm thinking of it, at what point do I trim the outer door scraper rubber, the piece that runs along the outside top of the door. Do I trim it right at the back edge of the door, or a bit shorter? Since I have a convertible, perhaps I need to put that rear L shaped piece of rubber in place and trim it where it touches that area?

Also, there seems to be a lot of excess outside of the chrome piece that holds it in place. Should I trim back right to the edge of the chrome, or leave a small amount extending out? And how far at the front, where it touches the window trim on the A pillar? As always, feel free to post pics of what yours looks like.
Thanks for the help,
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Looks awesome as always, thanks Charlie. Don't be surprised when I get my Ghia running and I request to make a trip your direction to see your Ghia in person. Easy 2-hour drive from my place to Philly!!
Jeff

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 26

Jump to: