Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old movies with Split busses.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

I need to learn German to know what these people were saying in this video. It has so much cool information in it. Maybe someone could add subtitles?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Mod Squad Nice Bus Reply with quote

TV not movie but worth it; Mod Squad season 1 episode 3 (S1E03) on YouTube

If you have about an hour to burn there is beaucoup bus shots in this episode. I watched it on smart tv but maybe someone can link it here.

I'm ready to ridicule.
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

In the 1949 documentary, at 18:40 the original design bus driver hat makes its appearance ;two fold,got to get one of those some day Smile

Last edited by Busted-bolt on Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

I missed that so now I have to revisit. I'll get some tv screen shots.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
I watched the Mod Squad episode this morning and took numerous shots. Am ready to post them. Shall I wait for yours and then add to them here, or should I put them in first?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
BarryL wrote:
I watched the Mod Squad episode this morning and took numerous shots. Am ready to post them. Shall I wait for yours and then add to them here, or should I put them in first?

Please you post up. The more the better. I'm ready to lambaste.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Per BarryL's sighting above in The Mod Squad, 2 identical pale blue Kombis are used in this 1968 TV show episode (season 1, ep. 3 named "My What a Pretty Bus")*. I have several more screen shots, but these are the most indicative IMO. The three young undercover police people Pete Cochran, Linc Hayes, Julie Barnes (Michael Cole, Clarence Williams III, Peggy Lipton) stumble upon a well thought-out plan for a money counterfeiting team to steal 1/2 million dollars in bills. Team led by Prof. Herbert Milne (Henry Jones). Milne paints up a Kombi as a hippy bus which will contain the real money, then the Squadders steal a second one and use washable paint to apply the exact same artwork. It will carry the counterfit money. IMCDb lists the bus as a '64.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The actual money security drivers are in the first bus, when Julie rides in front of them on a motorcycle as part of the diversion plan.

When Pete forces Julie off the road onto the sand with his bike, the bus drivers stop to assist. They are down in a ditch, out of sight from the road. Milne drives up in his copy bus and takes off in the first one that contains the real money. IMDB lists the location as Westward Beach Rd and Birdview Ave, Malibu, CA which is just south of Zuma beach.

Back at the team garage, Linc and Julie wash off the artwork but Milne overpowers them, then drives the money bus to the port area from where he plans to board a ship and escape, loses control while avoiding a forklift, and the bus flips over as it drives off a high ramp. I don't want to show the sad ending to the bus. Crying or Very sad

After Linc and Julie regain consciousness in the garage, they go outside to hitchhike a ride. A velvet green/ivory Deluxe Splittie is in the background.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USTUsQ_O2fA
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Thanks for the legwork Rome. Of course the real guard drivers don't notice the graphics are different. And of course they didn't notice the door latch open-close feel, shutting sound, seat position, scent, pedal feel, key start, etc etc. They are just oblivious. Thanks again.
Liveonjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

An ambulance!

Lots more of it in the film.

77 FI 2L Westfalia - Ripple
77 FI 2L Westfalia - Althea
62 Dual Carb Single Cab - Lou
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
...avoiding a forklift...

I thought it should have tipped when it first swerved not after...sheesh.

Rome wrote:
...and the bus flips over as it drives off a high ramp.

No engine, no taillights (?), no glass (?) but has RGBs I think.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

I'm amazed how big the stuntman's balls were to intentionally do that, padded suit and crash helmet on no doubt. Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Looks like Liveonjg beat me to it, but here's a few more from:

"The Million Eyes of Sumuru" (1967)

There's a short "chase" scene with the ambulance at night through some windy residential streets in Rome.

You can read about the film its self on the Internet, but it is an odd attempt to have a James Bond-like character, who is American and whose side-kick friend is an independently wealthy playboy (played by Frankie Avalon), and
the cast also includes Klaus Kinski (?!?).

Its attempts at humor are, well... you should just watch it.
It's on Amazon Prime Video right now (March 2021).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

"Gone in 60 Seconds" (1974), parked at the apartment tower in Long Beach, California. In the basement is where the yellow Mustang Mach 1 named "Eleanor" was stolen, creating the basis for the exciting car chase at the end of the movie.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

From some foreign movies; the American film titles listed. I did not know of any of these movies, until I did YouTube searches for car chase segments and these came up.
1, 2. Ivory Kombi drives thru the intersection in foreground. "Almost Human", 1974, Italy.

3. Red Deluxe, "The Salamander" 1981, Italy.

4. Blue Deluxe parked in the village, "Run, Run, Joe!" 1974, France.

5. Ivory Kombi parked, "The left hand of the law", 1975, Italy.

6. Red Deluxe standing on road, "Mafia Junction" 1973, Lebanon.

7, 8. Ivory '64 high-roof Van Cool parked. "Some too quiet Gentlemen", 1973, France. The car on the left is a Citroen ID-19 which was being chased by the white Simca Break (French name for station wagon) at right; while driving over rough roads and fields, etc. it lost all of its bolt-on body parts.
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
From some foreign movies; the American film titles listed. I did not know of any of these movies, until I did YouTube searches for car chase segments and these came up.
1, 2. Ivory Kombi drives thru the intersection in foreground. "Almost Human", 1974, Italy.

3. Red Deluxe, "The Salamander" 1981, Italy.

4. Blue Deluxe parked in the village, "Run, Run, Joe!" 1974, France.

5. Ivory Kombi parked, "The left hand of the law", 1975, Italy.

6. Red Deluxe standing on road, "Mafia Junction" 1973, Lebanon.

7, 8. Ivory '64 high-roof Van Cool parked. "Some too quiet Gentlemen", 1973, France. The car on the left is a Citroen ID-19 which was being chased by the white Simca Break (French name for station wagon) at right; while driving over rough roads and fields, etc. it lost all of its bolt-on body parts.
I spot a split buss front sway bar under that beast Smile
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Almost famous a few bus shots

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Here's another Splittie sighting in movie "The Quiller Memorandum" filmed in West Berlin, 1966. American agent Quiller (George Segal) drives his red Porsche 356B Cabriolet on the city's highways. Many VWs are either behind him, or he's coming up on them. Here's a blue Kombi or panel van in background.

TV show "Adam-12" filmed in Los Angeles, California. Brown thru-'61 Kombi "hippy bus" parked. Police Ofcr. Jim Reed (Kent McCord) speaks to the old resident (Burt Mustin) who called in the parking complaint. "The Chaser" season 5 episode 10, 1972.

TV show "Lost in Transmission" host Rutledge Wood (known as one of the trio from the American-based "Top Gear" show) shows his car collection in a hangar, with a customized blue '66 Double Cab Pickup. Lowered, narrowed front beam, 5-spokes, bed hoops "Rossi" style headlamps. "The Thing" S1E2, 2015.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Do music videos count? I spotted a split bus in this kpop video, Power Up by Red Velvet!

A couple partial shots first flash on screen between 2:05-2:10. Then between 2:45 and 3:03 we see the whole bus. Looks like a 62-up Kombi or a Standard.

Here's some screenshots

And here's the video.

Link

1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Loving this ^^^ Razz

Thanks!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Popular TV show "The Streets of San Francisco" from 1972 thru 1977, shot on location in that city. SF police Detective Lieutenant Mike Stone and Inspector Steve Keller (Karl Malden, Michael Douglas) investigate crime in the city. Many street scenes where there's almost always a VW in the background.

Opening credits in nearly every show- Dark green Deluxe bus with logos at a pier. You only see this for a fraction of a second, so it's easy to miss.

All of the rest are from a single episode "A Room with a View", season 1 episode 18; 1973. Since Karmann Ghias were much less prevalent in the shows that I watched than Splitties, I put an arrow at the blue Ghia Coupe. But for this thread, a grey Deluxe is parked behind it.

A lot of body rot in the rockers:

A white splittie is parked a few spaces up the street, and a green Deluxe drives past:

Blue and white Deluxe or Kombi in freeway, with Insp. Keller and Det. Stone in the brown Ford LTD on the off-ramp.

Blue Deluxe parked. Red late Beetle on the left.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 39 of 46

Jump to: