Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch won’t full disengage
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Clutch won’t full disengage Reply with quote

Hi there,
I’m hoping someone could help me with a clutch issue I’m having.

While replacing some floor sections in my 64 Karman, I removed the pedal assembly. When I reinstalled it, and tried to drive the Karman, the gears just crunch. There is plenty of pedal movement, and I can feel normal resistance, and the cable is tight to the point of no free play, yet it still crunches.

It worked perfectly fine prior to the removal.
It has been sitting for a few months without the peddle assembly, I wouldn’t have thought that would be an issue though.

Has anyone had this experience before?
Any suggestions before I think about removing the engine?

Cheers
Joe
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch won’t full disengage Reply with quote

How’s your bowden tube?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch won’t full disengage Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
How’s your bowden tube?

Good question, how does this look?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Canghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch won’t full disengage Reply with quote

I had a similar issue. I changed every linkage and the pedal cluster and then had the same issue. I thought it was the clutch or throw out bearing. I even changed those. Someone suggested to keep tightening the clutch cable and it finally worked. I started with 5 revolutions of the wing nut and found a balance at some point. I think even though the cable may seem tight to you, it still doest fully engage or disengage the clutch.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch won’t full disengage Reply with quote

I had the same problem after I had the clutch cable tube welded back in. The problem I figured out after many troubleshooting scenarios was the cable was catching on the end of the tube, not going all the way back in. I wound up grinding the end of the cable smooth and greasing it so it slides past where it was catching. The original tube had a portion cut away for that purpose, the mechanic who fixed mine must have used a new piece of tube. If your clutch pedal has some “flop” to it that could be the reason why.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch won’t full disengage Reply with quote

JoeM wrote:
jeffrey8164 wrote:
How’s your bowden tube?

Good question, how does this look?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not only does your bowden tube look damaged, but you are missing your throttle cable tube altogether!

I once had a throw-out bearing come off the shaft when I took the pedals out. There's a possibility that could be part of your problem too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: