Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recommended oil grade for high mileage engine?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Recommended oil grade for high mileage engine? Reply with quote

I have a 1995 EVC, 5 speed manual with 201,000 miles.

I am currently using 5W40 synthetic oil.

I use a quart every 1500-2000 miles depending on conditions. While I live in Canada, I store the van in the winter. We are planning a trip to the Southern US in a few weeks.

Question: With this high mileage, should I continue to use 5W40 or would another grade be preferred?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVCSNOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended oil grade for high mileage engine? Reply with quote

Knowing that you've been really proactive in maintaining your EVC, I would say to continue using what you have. I change the fully synthetic oil religiously and no issues.

These engines seem really stout. As long as the van is maintained properly and you check your fluid levels on schedule, I don't reckon you'll have any issues.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended oil grade for high mileage engine? Reply with quote

Your engine will be at the same operating temperature in the South as it is in NS. Just follow the manual, which won’t recommend a change until a constant 86F ambient or higher
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended oil grade for high mileage engine? Reply with quote

One more thing - with the higher mileage on this engine, should I be changing the oil more frequently? Of so, how many?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended oil grade for high mileage engine? Reply with quote

How often do you change your oil?? I change mine every year or 3,000 miles but I use 20/50 dinos oil..Also have you changed your timing belt lately..I think you have a intruder engine and when it breaks it's all over but the engine repair job...Bill 93 weekend er (PR) & 76 Westy (Vt) good luck
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended oil grade for high mileage engine? Reply with quote

I use synthetic on everything water cooled I drive, 5000-7500 intervals with an occasional check by Blackstone to see how aged the oil is
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended oil grade for high mileage engine? Reply with quote

I currently use 5W40 synthetic and change every 5000 miles.

I purchased my 95 EVC almost 2 years ago. It had 178,000 miles. Within the first month, I changed the timing belt/water pump because I saw no indication in the service records this work had been done.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended oil grade for high mileage engine? Reply with quote

I think your ok with your current oil changes..And I'm happy you changed the timing belt.Happy travels..Bill in PR
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended oil grade for high mileage engine? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever changed the oil pan on a 5 cyl. 5 spd . Mine has a frozen drain plug bolt.. The previous owner or his garage forgot to change the drain bolt gasket (washer). I couldn't get the last two bolts on the pan so I left it and drained the oil with a pump, twice
.(it doesn't get all the oil even when I lower the pan parchally..Tips?? Hintss?? It's a year again..Time sure flys when you're having fun?? Thanks Bill in PR
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended oil grade for high mileage engine? Reply with quote

Bill, I bet 30 seconds with Map gas will free that sucker up.
jimbomitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended oil grade for high mileage engine? Reply with quote

volkybus wrote:
Has anyone ever changed the oil pan on a 5 cyl. 5 spd . Mine has a frozen drain plug bolt.. The previous owner or his garage forgot to change the drain bolt gasket (washer). I couldn't get the last two bolts on the pan so I left it and drained the oil with a pump, twice
.(it doesn't get all the oil even when I lower the pan parchally..Tips?? Hintss?? It's a year again..Time sure flys when you're having fun?? Thanks Bill in PR

In addition to some heat as referenced, if the drain plug is wiped out that you can't get a wrench or socket on it, a small pipe wrench should be able to grip it.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended oil grade for high mileage engine? Reply with quote

Update on frozen drain bolt.... It came up with a impack wrench hammered on by a real VW and truck mechanic.
I'm thinking of hiring him more often but fixing these old VW'$ is one of my hobbies..I have 2 vans and a golf Cabro & jetta & whew Thing... Man it kills me to keep them current..And by the way the oil pan on the 5 cyl has all these chambers so you never can get all the oil out so it looks black too soon, reminds me of the Titanic...anyway the clown be who changed the oil before me glued in the drained plug with JB weld or something..Good luck & happy travels...Bill in PR till warm weather hits the tundra (Vt)
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended oil grade for high mileage engine? Reply with quote

Tundras getting nice right now! Time to head North!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: