Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help for a first-timer!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

I'm having a hard time seeing the body/rust issues Abscate so knowingly points out, even in high res. Without some undercarriage shots, I would not want to make an observation on this tin-top; but it is a little high priced for some of the "mods" I see done. The front carpet being removed is my big red flag. For $10k in WA state, you should be able to get a little more IMO. VW Logo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
CrunchyLopez wrote:
4Gears4Tires, thanks for the confidence! I do think I’m rather good at spotting rust - I’ve purchased my share of turds (especially VW turds) over the years... I used a screwdriver, but didn’t have a magnet. The jack points were perfect, seams were good, etc.

I don’t know... as 4Gears4Tires said, not many to choose from around here. Gotta think on it, despite the portends of doom.

Dry southwest USA is only a plane ticket away....

The dry hot SW ruins cars faster than the cool wet PNW. If I wanted a used car in really good shape I would be looking for something from either central Oregon, central Washington, or inland British Columbia.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

Front carpet being removed and the cap on the passenger side mirror missing are the only 2 things I can see. And they are hardly "issues" in my mind. It looks like someone wanted to have the carpet match from front to back. POs make odd decisions and if anything it's easy to pick it up and look for rust underneath. $320 and that's easily replaced with OEM style carpet from GoWesty.

I'd be hopping over to it with cash in my pocket.
CrunchyLopez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

jlrftype7 - I know you wrote me a PM, but I’m so new to this forum I can’t reply yet! Thanks for writing me!
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

IF I was looking for a new van, I'd definitely talk to my favorite vw mechanics in the area. Often there can be unadvertised vans or owners in distress that need to offload cheap because of repair costs. Good luck with your search.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
CrunchyLopez wrote:
Well, thanks all. Pretty great body shape, no rust, but idled a little weird (surging). Just not worth 10k, and could only talk them down to 9,500 dollars. Thanks, all! I shall not give up and your advice was great.

There was plenty of rust in that Craigslist Bus. You need to train yourself to look and see that or avoid a major pig in a poke. Looking fir it involves serious eyeballing, a magnet, a wooden dowel, and an ice pick.

I see many suspicious things about that Van, the visible tell tale signs of rust I do not.

Suspicious items that scream out to look closer!
New paint
Engine area painted black
A/C belt missing
Ridiculously low mileage.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CrunchyLopez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

Okay, in my effort to keep calibrating expectations: does this look better?
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-1988-volkswagen-vanagon/7306177070.html
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

CrunchyLopez wrote:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-1988-volkswagen-vanagon/7306177070.html

that seems really really fair to me, considering its a late westy in what appears to be very good condition based on the pics.

and with the larger engine you might be set on that front for a while as well.

the work they mention it needing is trivial and inexpensive as well.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

Better? Maybe. Different? Yes. Does your budget include a 50% increase in price? If it does, you're certainly getting more van.

It states it comes with touchup paint, so don't expect it to have flawless paint when you look closely. It has nearly 200k miles so it's going to have a good bit of wear. But it also looks pretty good.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

There has been a lot done to this unit.
The price is more than fair.

The only huge question mark is the new paint.
Was there rust?
If so how severe?
How was it repaired before paint?
Any before paint photos?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

CrunchyLopez wrote:

For $15000 with a 2.3 GW engine it is a steal for the seattle market.
CrunchyLopez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

I’m gonna try to run down there tonight to grab it. It’s a totally cool van and we have the budget. Thanks!
CrunchyLopez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

Aaaand I wrote within 2 hours of posting and there were 2 people already looking at it. That’s the kind of scene I’m in in the PNW, folks. It’s nuts.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

CrunchyLopez wrote:
Aaaand I wrote within 2 hours of posting and there were 2 people already looking at it. That’s the kind of scene I’m in in the PNW, folks. It’s nuts.

to be fair, that was a really really good deal

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

CrunchyLopez wrote:

That's not surprising. I was just going to say this van may not last the day. It's priced surprisingly well and the owner would have had lookers if they priced it at $25K. If it's like the Seattle housing market the buyer may take bids for the next two days and call the winner on Thursday.

The fact that it's in Seattle and the AC works is nothing short of remarkable. The owner gets bonus points for that. Most folks say who say the AC just needs a charge or belt are not to be trusted.

There is a lot to like about it, but there are these minor things...
- It says the curtains were replaced but the curtains above the kitchen and the slider don't appear to be installed in the pictures
- That may be the rustiest kitchen control panel I've seen so I'd be suspicious about rust elsewhere.
- The driver's seat arm rest may be broken or the split pin may need to be reinserted before the armrest breaks

The Vanagon buyer's checklists cover everything, but here are a few things that come to mind when shopping and should be deducted from a premium priced van

Vanagon or Westy Camper parts that can go missing and but should be looked for in the excitement of buying a van:
- spare tire, missing, deduct $150
- spare tire, 25 years old, par for the course, plan on buying a new one for $100
- Jack, missing, deduct $100
- front table and leg missing, deduct $150 - $200 (some never use it but we use ours all the time
- rear table and leg, deduct, $150 - $200
- Rear hatch mosquito net, deduct $100
- Front windshield curtain, deduct $100
- Missing or cheesy homemade curtains, deduct $250 - $500

Enjoy the search!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

CrunchyLopez wrote:

Lookers aren't cash in hand buyers.

I would recommended that add your name to the line and plan on going to look at it tonight.

It is seemingly a good deal. You were quick with the email. Go look at it, decide your offer price and hope you get it.
CrunchyLopez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

Well, sadly I won't be joining the Westy world - like I said, the $15k Westy sold literally within 15 minutes of posting (the first person to respond bought it) and I was wayyyy down the list even though I replied 2 hours later.

Today I bought a JDM Nissan Largo Highway Star, with the intent of converting it myself! It was $11k, in amazing condition with a really common engine for the USA (K24DE) and just weird as all get out. A Vanagon/Westy would have been great, but I hate competing to be part of a club.

Dear friends, hold onto yours if you have one! They're priceless!

Can't wait to see you all on the road!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

Best wishes with your purchase!

I hope it all works well for you.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

^^^Interesting news on the Westy. I wonder if the seller just wanted it gone or didn't know they could've gotten $5K more for it.

You moved fast on the Nissan. Post a pic if you get a chance.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help for a first-timer! Reply with quote

pjn_wyo wrote:
CrunchyLopez wrote:

For $15000 with a 2.3 GW engine it is a steal for the seattle market.

Ad has been deleted by the author...check for new posts about "my first Vanagon!" Lol!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: