Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shifter not going into 1 or 2 any ideas?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Shifter not going into 1 or 2 any ideas? Reply with quote

Our 1973 bay window has been shifting just fine since we got it in 2014, suddenly today it won’t go into 1 or 2. R, 3 & 4 are fine. When I mess with it and push/pull the gear stick long enough it will eventually go into first, then 2,3,4 as always, then at the next stop, same thing again.

I’m hoping it’s something minor like a loose grub screw maybe? Anyone had similar problems?

As always, helpful suggestions are welcome, thanks!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter not going into 1 or 2 any ideas? Reply with quote

Pilot bearings fail suddenly and cause problems with trying to get the tranny into gear at a stop. If the tranny will go into gear easier with the engine off then the pilot bearing is a likely cause. The 1-2 slider can also fail though this is fairly rare.

If you think it might be a loose grub screw, why not just crawl underneath and check it to see?
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter not going into 1 or 2 any ideas? Reply with quote

Check the bushing under the splash pan. When was the last time you took the shifter out and cleaned and lubricated it?

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter not going into 1 or 2 any ideas? Reply with quote

Check the shift coupler cage. Make sure the portion of the coupler that the grub screw threads into. And the cage portion of the coupler are not twisting independent of each other. If they twist independently of each other replace the cage portion of the coupler.
igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter not going into 1 or 2 any ideas? Reply with quote

Last summer we replaced the bushings and boots, the coupling at the transmission, cleaned and painted the rods/hockey stick, repaired the worn spot on the original shifter (the aftermarket one looked like junk, we sent it back) and greased everything. The shifting was more precise, less rubbery and vague. We did all that because it kept popping out of reverse.

It seems like 1&3 and 2&4 are really close together, unlike other tranny shifters I’ve owned. But it’s the only VW I’ve had.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter not going into 1 or 2 any ideas? Reply with quote

igotta40 wrote:
Last summer we replaced the bushings and boots, the coupling at the transmission, cleaned and painted the rods/hockey stick, repaired the worn spot on the original shifter (the aftermarket one looked like junk, we sent it back) and greased everything. The shifting was more precise, less rubbery and vague. We did all that because it kept popping out of reverse.

It seems like 1&3 and 2&4 are really close together, unlike other tranny shifters I’ve owned. But it’s the only VW I’ve had.

New coupler cages have been known to fail in the exact same way I have suggested. Do yourself a favor and have a good look at it. The fact it was recently replaced does not matter. (Without the motor running.) Have someone shift the bus through the shift pattern while you have eyeballs on the coupler cage to see what it’s doing. Idea
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter not going into 1 or 2 any ideas? Reply with quote

if you cleaned things up last year, that means your bolts were out. possible that you had a recent shift in the adjustment plate due to not tight fasteners?
igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter not going into 1 or 2 any ideas? Reply with quote

Yes, thanks for the suggestions, I will get into it as soon as I can get it in my shop. I’ll advise what I find.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter not going into 1 or 2 any ideas? Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
if you cleaned things up last year, that means your bolts were out. possible that you had a recent shift in the adjustment plate due to not tight fasteners?

tap the adj plate edge on with a flahead and see if it moves. if it does not move, then it did not suddnely fall out of adjustment and you can look everywhere else.
i suspect you lost your front bushing.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter not going into 1 or 2 any ideas? Reply with quote

Some of the shift coupling cages are just crimped into place and will slip out of position over time. A tack weld between the cage and the hub is all that is needed to set them straight.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter not going into 1 or 2 any ideas? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Some of the shift coupling cages are just crimped into place and will slip out of position over time. A tack weld between the cage and the hub is all that is needed to set them straight.

When I run across this I will get a new coupler cage and weld it instead. once a coupler cage twists out of position it has to be put back in the correct position before it can be welded. . Either way the coupler needs to be removed. Easier IMO to weld a new one and install it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: