Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15" bus rim discussion thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

Another 4/'54 15" Bus wheel

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

Might be worth updating the list at the front of this thread to include the 4/54 dated smooth face Lemmerz rims with 3/54 barrels. We now have evidence of 4 in existance(3 silver white, and 1 pgsg)

Added this pic of Longroof’s pgsg rim barrel:

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

Thanks, I will add it
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

I have three 11/62 wheels

Matt58veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

Just picked these up today for $10 each, date stamp looks to say 8/67 best I can read.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

Matt58veedub wrote:
Just picked these up today for $10 each, date stamp looks to say 8/67 best I can read.

These look like 14" bus rims, not 15" bus rims.

note the 4 large slots in the 15" bus rims
Matt58veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

These are 15" I measured them and held them next to my 14" rims. I thought they were 14" from the pictures I got of them but when I went to check them out and measured them they are 14". The valve stems match the lug nut hole , maybe they changed them up a bit later in the manufacture cycle, they are dated well beyond the date buses were sold with 15" wheels.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

Where are you measuring and getting 15"?
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

If you are measuring the diameter of the entire outer lip, it measures 1" larger.

14s measure 15"
15s measure 16"
etc.

Type 3 15" wheel but same idea:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
If you are measuring the diameter of the entire outer lip, it measures 1" larger.

14s measure 15"
15s measure 16"
etc.

Type 3 15" wheel but same idea:
This.
Matt58veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up guys, I guess in my over excitement for trying to get 15" wheels i measured them wrong. I did measure them across the outer lip. I never had 15" wheels on my bus and I was excited to find some. I guess my hunt for proper wheels continues............

Embarassed
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

Matt58veedub wrote:
Thanks for the heads up guys, I guess in my over excitement for trying to get 15" wheels i measured them wrong. I did measure them across the outer lip. I never had 15" wheels on my bus and I was excited to find some. I guess my hunt for proper wheels continues............

Embarassed

BDTD!
I've looked at a LOT of wheels trying to find some for my 12/55 single cab. Still looking 14 years after this thread started. I have found a few! I do have some very nice earlier /55's listed for TRADE only in my classified ads.
It is usually quite easy to see the difference between 14 and 15 bus wheels:
On 14's the metal curves rather sharper to where it is welded to the rim and
from the hubcap side one can NOT see the space between the center and the rim. On the 15's it is quite easy to see the 4 air gap and I guess on a 1963 big brake car one could probably see the brake drum thru the gap.
Note: the recently shown 1954 dated wheels have somewhat different centers from normal 1955-1963 wheels.
Given their provenance, they are likely genuine VW type 2 prototypes. but Opel and Ford also made wheels 5 on 205 during this early time frame.
BTW, Some years back I was formerly known as 69Doublecab. Since I sold that car after about 30 years driving (To a nice older guy in Miami), I've decided just using my family name makes more sense at this point.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

I’m looking for 2 more March 63 (3/63) 15” rims in good condition if anyone has any.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

mastorna wrote:
I’m looking for 2 more March 63 (3/63) 15” rims in good condition if anyone has any.

One thing you might keep in mind: Probably a very large fraction (1/4-1/3) of these came out the door with 2 different months or even 2 different brands of wheels. If different brands, They might even differ by 2 months.
Don't make the perfect the enemy of the good.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

Matt58veedub wrote:

Embarassed

I am local to you and have some extra 15" bus wheels if interested.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: