Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pipe issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Fuel pipe issue Reply with quote

I am trying to change the fuel pipe on my Beetle but I have encountered an Issue.The previous owner has fitted a 7mm fuel hose which runs from the Carb to the regulator as in the pictures and it looks as though he fashioned a Hard line from a slightly bigger pipe to accommodate the bigger hose.I only noticed this after I ordered the 5.6mm hose and found that it won't fit the regulator and carb.Is there a connector that will accept the 7mm hose and then continue with the 5.6mm hose..The hose from underneath the chassis appears to be the standard size

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pipe issue Reply with quote

Order bigger hose
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pipe issue Reply with quote

Then it won't fit to the rest of the standard system,that's the issue
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pipe issue Reply with quote

I would ditch the regulator, that type is known for fires...
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pipe issue Reply with quote

Callookbeetle wrote:
Then it won't fit to the rest of the standard system,that's the issue

I see what your saying now. How about this. Order a double barbed brass hose mender fitting. You can have one size be for the 7mm and the other side 5-6 mm. That could solve it.

Or another option is to purchase a new carb with the correct sized fitting for the fuel line maybe and that way it’s all the same?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pipe issue Reply with quote

That is a threaded brass nipple on the regulator. You can buy any size nipple you want and change it out. They come in all sizes!

Here is an example.
[url]MI MADOL IMPORTS, LLC MADOL Brass Fuel Line or Gas Application Connector Fitting Hose 1/4" Barb x 3/8" Male NPT [KFPS 04-06] - Conector de Gas Adaptador de manguera Espiga x Niple Terminal 1/4 x3/8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C58YQ8N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5A0RAG3X6YCZC5V78V46[/url]

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pipe issue Reply with quote

If I change the regulator nipple I will still have the issue with the one on the Webber Carb.I also contacted heritage parts supply and they recommended fitting the oversize fuel tank exit tube in the picture and then go with the 7mm hose.They said the 5.6mm would restrict fuel flow for a larger engine.I'm not sure if you can also get the steel Hard line in 7mm also?
Will that tube in the picture require welding as I don't have any welding facilities Rolling Eyes
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pipe issue Reply with quote

That picture that you posted with the oversized hard fuel line that exits the fuel tank does not require any welding. There is a retaining nut at the bottom of your fuel tank that holds the hardline in place. Drain your fuel tank, then remove fuel tank and disconnect fuel line that is connected. Next remove the nut and take out the old 5.6 mm line. Put that new one in. You will want to be sure to get a new filter for inside your tank and new gaskets. I think if you just unscrew those 4 bolts holding your fuel tank down and lift it up a little and take a peak under you will have a clear picture.

As for the 7mm fuel line that you were asking that you were not sure if they make. Are you referring to the entire hardline that runs from the front tunnel under your fuel tank all the way to the back of the car to the engine? If so, you can order a new hardline pretty much in any size. Jimbo led me to this when I replaced my choke line conduit in my tunnel. Just look up stainless round tubing on Amazon. There are tons of sizes. But do understand that this is not an easy task to just swap and will require welding and cutting to your tunnel if you want it to look like stock. Another option that people do so they do not have to weld is to run the new fuel tubing on top of their chassis along the floor pan and tunnel and just put the carpet over it. It will work and requires no welding and no cutting. Here’s a video that will show you what I mean:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tr8xKzfXxt0
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pipe issue Reply with quote

I was just looking to replace the fuel line from the Carb to the fixed pipe that comes out at the rear,just behind the rear axle for the moment.

The Webber Carb has the 7mm hose fitting as does the regulator so I'm just trying to replace from the Carb to the fixed as in the Picture Sad
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pipe issue Reply with quote

Why don’t you try one of these for the time being:
https://www.fittings.space/hb321-008-006
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pipe issue Reply with quote

Why don't you get a fuel pump that pumps 3-3.5 psi and get rid of the regulator that way the fuel line will be stock.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pipe issue Reply with quote

Callookbeetle wrote:
If I change the regulator nipple I will still have the issue with the one on the Webber Carb.I also contacted heritage parts supply and they recommended fitting the oversize fuel tank exit tube in the picture and then go with the 7mm hose.They said the 5.6mm would restrict fuel flow for a larger engine.I'm not sure if you can also get the steel Hard line in 7mm also?
Will that tube in the picture require welding as I don't have any welding facilities Rolling Eyes

I run a very healthy 2127, up to 7000rpm, with a stock fuel pump, pumping fuel to 2 dual 44 Weber’s with 175 mains! I have no fuel shortages, even at 97mph! Car gets a little squirrely, but that is not from a lack of fuel!

The one on the carb. Well, if it was me, I would get a reducing union with compression rings and downsize to the 5.5mm. That’s me.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: