Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propane Gas Detector
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Propane Gas Detector Reply with quote

I recently installed a Propex heater. So I've also added a propane gas detector. I have a house battery under the sink. Where is the best place for the detector?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Gas Detector Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=752396

Here's a link to the thread you started the other day about this Wink
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Gas Detector Reply with quote

please please please also install a CO detector with a digital readout. most of us own one of the best propane detectors... our nose, but CO kills time and time again and there are really good battery operated CO detectors for around $65 or less.

i've got one in my Westy and the using the stove will spike CO readings. interestingly, using the Buddy heater does not.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Gas Detector Reply with quote

Agreed on the CO detector. You can't read the numbers in this photo but they're more informative than a binary detector.

Lighting the stove can definitely prompt a reading some times.

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Gas Detector Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
please please please also install a CO detector with a digital readout.

You made a point in another thread that the dual CO/LP alarms aren’t ideal. What’s your reasoning there?

jimf909 wrote:
Agreed on the CO detector. You can't read the numbers in this photo but they're more informative than a binary detector.

And to both of you, how often are you really checking the digital readout?

I’m not knockin it in any way, just trying to understand how practical it is to use and pay attention too.

After Maine’s earlier thread I ordered a surface mount MTI alarm to replace the one I have that’s up near the driver’s B pillar, and installed it yesterday under the rear bench as suggested by Timwhy in that other thread.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Gas Detector Reply with quote

erste wrote:

jimf909 wrote:

And to both of you, how often are you really checking the digital readout?

I’m not knockin it in any way, just trying to understand how practical it is to use and pay attention too.

Despite what follows, I'd say a CO monitor is a great of device to monitor lightly until the alarm sounds at which point it deserves some attention. The indoor/outdoor thermometer and battery volt meters get more attention. Certainly, any drivetrain monitors get much more attention.

I'm 100% certain that my experience this past year is unusual. I installed the CO detector maybe 18 months ago. I made the van my wfh office at the start of COVID and I've spent at least 250 8-10 hour days in the van since then (days, not nights). Every day I light the stove a few times to boil water to warm my coffee cup or make tea so I probably have 500 - 750 or more stove lightings while sitting in the rear bench while on a MS Teams meeting (think zoom if you don't know Teams) while I stare at the CO detector.

I've experimented with lighting one burner, two burners, waiting 10 seconds, 20 seconds, etc. before lighting the burners. Sitting in a closed van I notice it when the the CO detector reads 75 but opening the slider for 30 - 60 seconds drops the reading pretty quickly.

In short, nowadays I check it way too frequently but it's for science. When camping, I might notice it occasionally and have it provide peace of mind before turning-in (it's also a smoke alarm).

TMI: Over this past year I've parked my wfh van office in a few states, mostly WA and ID. Most days it's been plugged into shore power near a house that I commute home to at the end of the day. As a recovering workaholic I prefer to keep work outside of my home to keep me from working 18/7. The van has been an ideal solution for me and the 40' commute is the best ever.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Propane Gas Detector Reply with quote

Double check that those monitors are suitable fir use in your temperature range. If the device is only specified for household use, it may be being stored out of its range for those in real climates. For safety equipment,, you want to stay in specs or have some method of testing it, like running your stove with the windows closed.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Propane Gas Detector Reply with quote

erste wrote:
DanHoug wrote:
please please please also install a CO detector with a digital readout.

You made a point in another thread that the dual CO/LP alarms aren’t ideal. What’s your reasoning there?

LP is heavier than air an sinks so an LP alarm should be mounted in a low spot in living areas and even in a crawl space or basement. As an example, I'm looking at an underground propane line right now that enters a house about 18" above grade, code calls for the crawlspace vent about a foot away to be sealed off (it is) so if the propane leaks it won't flow into the crawl space. Nevertheless, a propane detector in the crawlspace of this house would be nice.

I've seen a wider variety of recommendations for mounting CO detectors but the most common one I found was to mount them 5' high because propane is lighter than air.

The different qualities of LP and Co suggest different installation points.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/where-s...appliance.

I'll let DanHoug chime in with facts.

Abscate wrote:

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Propane Gas Detector Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Double check that those monitors are suitable fir use in your temperature range. If the device is only specified for household use, it may be being stored out of its range for those in real climates. For safety equipment,, you want to stay in specs or have some method of testing it, like running your stove with the windows closed.

Oy, can't I just watch the pretty blue display or go back to the days when we sat in cars w/out seat belts?

These safety devices are fairly remarkable. Now only if we can get them into houses where bbqs are used for heat.

Abscate wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: