Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle Reply with quote

redvettemike wrote:
does anyone know what MoFoCo does?)

call Roy @ Mofoco and ask him whats in the engine. If its an "off the shelf" maybe he'll take it back... minus shipping... you can only ask.

That's assuming the current runs well.

Roy is a regular here so you can PM him or email him or go to his website and call.

Here's his profile: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1601

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redvettemike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
redvettemike wrote:
does anyone know what MoFoCo does?)

call Roy @ Mofoco and ask him whats in the engine. If its an "off the shelf" maybe he'll take it back... minus shipping... you can only ask.

That's assuming the current runs well.

Roy is a regular here so you can PM him or email him or go to his website and call.

Here's his profile: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1601

Tks much. We will see how the current engine runs and then see what needs to be done.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle Reply with quote

Very nice Beetle for sure. I have to agree though you would not get 19,000 out of it. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redvettemike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle Reply with quote

AutoMechanic wrote:
Very nice Beetle for sure. I have to agree though you would not get 19,000 out of it. Smile

You are correct I am sure. It will bring what it will bring$. The owner has no idea about the value and is relying on me to market the VW and get the best we can get. It surely is quite nice.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle Reply with quote

1. I will say that I respect and appreciate the work that has been done to this Beetle. The quality of workmanship and love shown to this Beetle is apparent.

2. The notion that late models shouldn't be as valuable as early models or that they are meagerly valuable is flawed thinking, to me. Of course, I expect that an original or restored Split or Oval Window is going to be much more valuable than a '76 regular Beetle that has neither been restored, nor restored to original. This is not to say that a properly restored '68 should be so much less valuable than a restored '67. A 1968 VW is now 53 years old. Is that not old enough to command respect? I have spared little to no expense in restoring my '74 Sun Bug and when deciding on this VW, I was also considering a ragtop '61, but I chose the Sun Bug; a year later, I have no regrets. I CHOSE the Sun Bug. Late models have their own beauty and advantages over early models. In my estimation, the most painfully apparent causes of late model derision are cheap VW owners who bought a $500 miracle in the old days and refuse to acknowledge its' appreciation in value, hence neglect (and rust) follow or those who found themselves a "doodle bug" and intend to install a V8 (rust status be damned) or make outrageous body modifications (then cry when they try to sell it, never having thought that the rest of the world might not share their vision). I have wondered if these are reasons why the aftermarket industry offer so few high quality products for late models. Custom interiors and even obnoxious paint jobs can be reversed, but at a cost. It costs just as much or more for custom paint and interiors, but then those who buy those VWs and insist on originality will have to invest even more into returning the VW to its' original glory. These situations make late model ownership very costly and if one restores a VW to original, a high selling price should be expected. Original = valuable; a cursory review of the early Bus classifieds corroborates this.
I believe that we're nearing the end of an era of late model neglect by owners who have trashed their VWs, like some did to early models in the 70's and 80's (cutting out split and oval window sections, butchering the wheel wells of early Buses, etc. & hailed it as a virtue) and only those VWs that have been cared for will survive. I predict that many late models that have unfortunately suffered neglectful owners will end up rusting away, being crushed or used as parts cars. This will only make the surviving late models more rare and more valuable, but this is NOT how I would prefer to see my '74's value increase.

3. I think the Briz bumpers make the '73 look $10k cheaper. For such an otherwise beautiful VW, I suggest installing correct bumpers, if you're willing to. I believe this will increase its' value and marketability.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
redvettemike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle Reply with quote

The owner/builder of the VW was building it for himself with I think no thought of resale. He was 70 years old. He was in excellent health. But he fell on the ice. That started or accelerated an infection (not covid) and he was gone in 10 days.
We will finish the car (looks like it is 95% done to us); will see how it runs (I wager it runs good but we will see). Then we will do our best to sell it whether $7000 or $20000. There are $thousands of extra new parts, two dozen boxes. His daughter in CA is looking to us to do the best we can and we will. Tks
redvettemike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle Reply with quote

The deceased owner of this fine '73 Bug had purchased a multitude of parts. We went to his garage yesterday and inventoried these parts and brought them to my shop. There were 73 boxes. Everything from front/rear disc brake set up to Weber carb/manifold set up, new upholstery, headliner, glass, carpet, you name it. All new. We have that new FOMOCO engine (cost $3093.99 and delivered 4/21-they will not take it back). He paid $12500 for the car in 8/18. The total paid for parts (in addition to the engine) exceeds $19000. We need to sell all for the benefit of the daughter. What to do?

redvettemike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle Reply with quote

I think we are best served to sell the engine seperately along with the Weber carb set up. There is a 'reverse manifold' (needed for these Webers?) along with a engine dress up kit, Petronix distributor and coil, Bosch alternator, Hi Torqe starter and a bunch more. All new. I'll inventory all of that and try to sell it seperately. I imagine the engine in the VW runs fine. We will see soon.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle Reply with quote

Get the car running with the current engine and sell it as is. Then sell the new engine and parts. It will take longer but will yield more money at the end of the day.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle Reply with quote

Late models are going up in value, especially clean, correct cars. A custom one like this would have to appeal to a pretty specific buyer in order to bring the most money. Late models will never be worth what an early model is-the earlier VWs are more pure in design-the 1970s saw VW doing what they could to keep a very old design as competitive as possible, as well as meeting emissions and safety standards not even thought of in the 1930s-1960s. They did not hang gigantic bumpers and taillights on to improve aesthetics, they did it because they had to. Creative Native, I agree that the late models do have some advantages-my 1973 Super is heads and shoulders above my 1967 Sunroof Sedan in terms of comfort, handling, stability, etc etc. But it does not make it more valuable in the eyes of most collectors.

This is a nice car, but I would not say one of the nicest in the US-no offense, its just that there are some seriously nice cars out there. I would say that the way to get the most money out of this car would be to, as others have said, get it in front of some non VW people-Barrett Jackson, Bring a Trailer. etc. Or perhaps oldbug.com, which also advertises on and supports thesamba.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
I have spared little to no expense in restoring my '74 Sun Bug and when deciding on this VW, I was also considering a ragtop '61, but I chose the Sun Bug; a year later, I have no regrets. I CHOSE the Sun Bug. Late models have their own beauty and advantages

This really strikes home for me, couldn't agree more. I'm someone who selected a Beetle for my own driving enjoyment without much thought to selling it. Cuz I'll sell it when I'm dead Smile . One the the things that I think makes the Beetle stand out is the production history from the 1940's to 2003. The whole story and all the design and production changes interest me.

People walk to me and guess the year of my car. Usually they guess late '60s. And I'm driving a stock '79 Super hahaha. Just goes to show, outside the circle of Beetle fanatics, they all look the same to others.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle Reply with quote

Lost69Convertible wrote:

This really strikes home for me, couldn't agree more. I'm someone who selected a Beetle for my own driving enjoyment without much thought to selling it. Cuz I'll sell it when I'm dead Smile . One the the things that I think makes the Beetle stand out is the production history from the 1940's to 2003. The whole story and all the design and production changes interest me.

People walk to me and guess the year of my car. Usually they guess late '60s. And I'm driving a stock '79 Super hahaha. Just goes to show, outside the circle of Beetle fanatics, they all look the same to others.

I have had the same experience. Most people assume my '74 SBSB is a 60's model. Yesterday when I was driving the Sun Bug, I passed a Citroën Duck that was restored and beautiful. I'm not a Duck aficionado, so I could not discern the year, but assumed it was a 60's or 70's model. We both smiled and waved at each other. I knew we were of the same mind: Needing to drive our classic cars on a beautiful Spring day with the sunroofs open. We drive the most iconic, recognizable vehicles on earth. A 70's model being as valuable as a 60's model does not devalue the 60's model. Keep enjoying your '79. It is something special.
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle Reply with quote

chicagovw wrote:
the 1970s saw VW doing what they could to keep a very old design as competitive as possible, as well as meeting emissions and safety standards not even thought of in the 1930s-1960s. They did not hang gigantic bumpers and taillights on to improve aesthetics, they did it because they had to.

I'll state a disclaimer first: I love all the Beetles from beginning to end. I want to ride in a Hebmuller. And I want to ride in an Open Air Mexican Beetle. They're both on my bucket list.

I understand how some people point to bigger directional and brake lights in the 70's compared to before. It doesn't strike me personally one way or the other for cosmetic appeal but I still get it.

The bumpers however - that's one I don't understand. The 60's had BIG bumpers with towel bars and over-riders. They block the view of the cars body. And for the record, I love these big bumpers too. But overall, I'd say the bumpers obstruct the view of the body less in the 70's. Just an observation, to each his own.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Beetle Reply with quote

Lost69Convertible wrote:
The bumpers however - that's one I don't understand. The 60's had BIG bumpers with towel bars and over-riders. They block the view of the cars body. And for the record, I love these big bumpers too. But overall, I'd say the bumpers obstruct the view of the body less in the 70's. Just an observation, to each his own.

I agree. When I owned a '59 standard Bus, I was always frustrated at how the over rider bumpers covered the small taillights. I was not the type to have installed -'58 pressed bumpers or remove the over riders, but it clearly would have been a reasonable safety measure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: