Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Pressure Spring Torment
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

The case I have didn’t have the pistons, springs, or the screws for the oil relief passages so I bought a new set from one of the online vendors. The small one went in easy but I cannot get the damn longer one in there. The kit is suppposed to be just the standard stock springs. It seems to me that the way the spring is wound when I twist the screw plug it is expanding the spring slightly covering the threads just enough that it won’t catch. Is there some magic tricky thing to get this in or what? Smaller piston maybe? Spring too long? I’ve spent a few hours on this and getting pretty irritated with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

I'd MAKE SURE that there isn't an old spring or old piston STUCK up in there. You may need a tap to get in there to try to "grab" any spring or stuck piston.

So if that's not the case, remember what Scarlett said: "Tomorrow is another day !!!" These can be tricky, with metal sealing ring, pushing up/in straight, all while trying to turn it.

For the record, even though I have them, I hate the big slot plugs for these, what was VW thinkin' ???? There are aftermarket hex head plugs for these available.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

Most replacement springs are longer which is probably your issue.
Get this kit, it's better than the cheap sets around and has everything you need. https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1230.htm
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

Also, most of the "stock" kits contain the wrong, slotted, piston for
the rear relief, which is longer than the correct piston, and makes
starting the plug threads much more difficult.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

I did just buy that CB kit the other day. Figured I’d compare the two. There’s no old piston or anything in there. Hopefully that’s the cure. I went to my local VW shop and grabbed an Allen head plug the other day and still having a rough time. Kinda ridiculous you get beat by a little spring. Sheesh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

By the design, the spring shouldn’t be able to get hung up and un-wind or wind.

Have you tried threading in the bolt without the spring? Threads ok?

Last edited by txoval on Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

Threads are good. Goes right in without the spring in there. Open part of the piston facing the spring.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

Can you post a picture?
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

I still can’t get the damn the thing in. Even purchased another set of springs etc from CB Performance. Still no luck. Anyone try this before?

http://www.headflowmasters.com/vw-oil-pressure-valve-body.html#.YHYEiS1OKhB

The kit Looks like a decent idea anyway but I’m having a hell of a time with the stock replacements I’ve bought. Any tricks?!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

You have to push down hard while also getting it started carefully as to not cross thread the case. It's not exactly easy to do...

I think you just need to try harder
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

are you sure you have the riight springs in the right holes??correct pistons in the correct holes??
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

Pistons in both kits are the same. Same size for both pistons. No difference. The long spring toward the pulley side and the short spring towards the flywheel side.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

Maybe try pushing the spring in without turning the screw. When you are up against the first thread, rotate the screw a half turn or so, backwards, then go forward.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

Pictures might help, but as long as you have the right springs, and the pistons fit properly and are fully seated then you just aren't pushing hard enough or are not turning the screw at the right time, or both.

Also make sure the top threads aren't already stripped

Try to screw it in without the spring to verify the threads are good
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

Maybe there is something already in the hole.
Check the hole
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Maybe there is something already in the hole.
Check the hole

Yes that also crossed my mind. Its not uncommon for the old pistons to seize in the bore. Your used case my already have one stuck inside on hole that the previous owner never bothered to fish out.
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

Finally got the SOB in there. Not sure how but it finally just went. Serious exercise in patience.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

they can be a booger to do. especialy with the std vw screws.I love the allen head screws.I hope you didnt ferget the sealing washers Shocked Twisted Evil Wink
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
they can be a booger to do. especialy with the std vw screws.I love the allen head screws.I hope you didnt ferget the sealing washers Shocked Twisted Evil Wink

Apparently I did. What are sealing washers? For the caps? Shouldn’t mess with the feeble minded like that. You’re kidding.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Spring Torment Reply with quote

carguytroy wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

Apparently I did. What are sealing washers? For the caps? Shouldn’t mess with the feeble minded like that. You’re kidding.

The plug(s) should have a metal crush seal/washer similar to what's used for your oil drain plug, see number 20 in the diagram below.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by mukluk on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: