Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Serrano's Engines
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

I sure miss the deals steve had on parts Sad
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
I sure miss the deals steve had on parts Sad

If you got a deal from Steve, it's because somebody else paid the difference.

I don't think electrickery works that way
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

You guys do realize he bought the parts on "credit", never paid for them and then sold them at a discount, right?

I'm sure many of you have seen the movie Goodfellas when the mobster takes over the restaurant? They buy everything on credit, never pay for it, and then take it out back and sell it for a discount....PURE PROFIT!!!

Yeah, what a great guy Rolling Eyes

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
You guys do realize he bought the parts on "credit", never paid for them and then sold them at a discount, right?

I'm sure many of you have seen the movie Goodfellas when the mobster takes over the restaurant? They buy everything on credit, never pay for it, and then take it out back and sell it for a discount....PURE PROFIT!!!

exactly. These people love walmart...
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

And he was unapologetic even to the end; from a reply to Dominick Lupino about the fraud he committed:
Steve Houston wrote:
Jail? Think again.....next you'll be saying I had to pay everyone back their money.

This post was edited by the moderators because profits > character.

I don't think electrickery works that way

Last edited by Stripped66 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

Steve always responded in a timely manner to any requests I had. I bought a lot of parts from him. I do hate it though to be the last one holding the bag. To correct any situation with parts, Steve just sent more parts never asking for the old parts to be returned. Many, many , times I used old part over with new machining. I am one who never had a problem with Steve Houston. I wish others (dealers) were as nice to their good customers............sans the bag!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

empi told me steve bough barrels of parts from them and made his own kits, this is when I bought a disc break kit from him, he would sen a part at a time.well imcompleate and took a little while to get it all.the cables were all rong, but empi sent me what i wanted with no issues.so I picked the length I wanted and made some new tubular cable attactment for the caliper to put the cable in the correct place and angle so it was not kinked or agnist anything in any way. I bought a few other things from him with no issue. he did not like returning calls...especially when there was a issue. emails sometimes.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

I didn't know Sad
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

I think steve just had a little too much going on and too little help.but who knows for sure so ask who.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

I know who used to build his engines. He still sells them and does great work. Probably doesnt want to be associated with him though so I wont name any names.
mike231
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

HEY, I'm sorry he was a jerk and maybe worse. I live in Maryland, and I can't see what is going on in Cali. No one ever said back then that we shouldn't do business with him. I spent time looking around, and picked him due to what people DID say, and price.
People like that get what they deserve at some point.
BUT... the engine still runs great.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

mike231 wrote:
HEY, I'm sorry he was a jerk and maybe worse. I live in Maryland, and I can't see what is going on in Cali. No one ever said back then that we shouldn't do business with him. I spent time looking around, and picked him due to what people DID say, and price.
People like that get what they deserve at some point.
BUT... the engine still runs great.

Well, if he wasn't the one building the engines like another poster said, I guess none of that matters. He screwed people, but was lucky to have a good engine guy as an employee.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
mike231
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

Agreed, but I wish the guy would say who the engine builder was. I would buy another from him, that's for sure.
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

wow I brought a 1914 alum case engine with 44s. it ran good for about 5yrs I still have the case and cut it for a 2l now. Serranos was a great deal back then wish I could buy a turnkey 1914 with 44s for 2500 now lol
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

hsosa1 wrote:
wow I brought a 1914 alum case engine with 44s. it ran good for about 5yrs I still have the case and cut it for a 2l now. Serranos was a great deal back then wish I could buy a turnkey 1914 with 44s for 2500 now lol

PLEASE stop with any praise on here of a CROOK. Saying you wish Serrano's deals were still around is like wishing Jeffrey Dahmer was still around because you heard he used to volunteer at a soup kitchen every Sunday and help feed people.(full pun intended)

Just because a serial killer helped people once and a while, doesn't erase what he did.

Just because a crook gave people good deals, doesn't absolve him of his crimes.

BTW, do you know WHY he could give some people good deals? BECAUSE HE STOLE THAT MONEY FROM OTHER PEOPLE.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

does his feedback even exist anymore?

heard all the stories,well most of them...million dollar homes..missing 40K truck load of scat parts...

Ever any restitution from all of it?

seems ppl who get away with things hone there skills and do it again under different names and different realms..
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

Main feedback thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85975

There are a bunch of others but they are all locked to point to that one.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

mike231 wrote:
Agreed, but I wish the guy would say who the engine builder was. I would buy another from him, that's for sure.

No matter who it is..

I'm sure you wouldn't be getting the same price you bought for 15yrs ago Shocked

But if your in the market for another engine, I know a few good builders locally Wink
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

This thread is alive?

Steve sold a lot of stuff to the public. HIs prices were very good. I bought dozens of Mahle P/Cs sets from Serrano's back in the day. I still have maybe a few leftovers from those years. Keeping them to myself.

hard to compete on complete engines prices at rock bottom. Not sure if he made any money at all.

Those were the golden days.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

Ghia Nut wrote:
I am considering buying a 2332 turbo and was wondering if any one could vouche for their work as I live in Bama and dont hear much about them except through mags.
Any info i could get would be sweet, thanks.
.......................................................................................................................ghia nut are you still there ???lol lol well be care full what you ask for. on samba lol none of these guys that post on samba hold back . they will tell you what they think in a heart beat . any one that has ever had a shop and had to deal with people. that he builds motors for knows there are people that are going to think your a god of motor building and there are people that will trash you. as a no good motor builder .(i am sure any one who has built motors for people has there own story to tell ) some people you just cant please. no matter what you do to make it right . and there is all ways two sides to a story . and you get what you pay for when you have a motor built by a shop . my self i have found out over the years that its best to have a one on one person to person talk with a motor builder and you can see first had what there shop looks like and how they treat you .good luck you will need it .i hope every thing works out for you spencerfvee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: