Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncaru 16 AWD build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

human compass wrote:
never had the syncro tranny to begin with.

finding and building one oughta be cheaper than the boxeer swap though hah

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

I see. I have not driven a van with subaru tranny, but speaking from lots of off road experience with the stock syncro tranny, attempting some steep challenging terrain in first gear can yield loss of traction and skid out. But then in that low granny gear can go up just about anything without any problem. If you want that off road beast you will really need lower gearing and think that the syncro granny gear is the only option. Plus you can get the rear locker which can come in really handy. And if you are concerned at all about the continuous AWD traction capability you might lose, just get a decoupler w/solid shaft (on a syncro tranny) for selectable full time 4WD and you wont be complaining. In fact I would argue it may even give you better traction than what you have now.

Lots of opinions on this stuff, but think that the granny gear and rear locker make these vans capable of beast mode. Even over some more modern vehicles, the lockers can be the difference in getting traction or not.
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

Thanks Burley, always respect your opinion. For now, so much time and money was put into this experiment that I'm gonna ride it out for a while!

Your suspension is just amazing, still blows me away how stable and capable the van is with it all in place.
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
human compass wrote:
never had the syncro tranny to begin with.

finding and building one oughta be cheaper than the boxeer swap though hah

for sure, but I want it all!! Twisted Evil
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

todays projects- added a fiamma (so much nicer than my old crappy no name!), pressure tested cooling system and found a couple leaks, bled it, continued tweaks on the new bike rack.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JimSyncrogr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

Such a deamn beautiful rig mate!!! Awesome work, you’re a magician!!
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

JimSyncrogr wrote:
Such a deamn beautiful rig mate!!! Awesome work, you’re a magician!!

thank you sir!
burleymotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

human compass wrote:
Thanks Burley, always respect your opinion. For now, so much time and money was put into this experiment that I'm gonna ride it out for a while!

Your suspension is just amazing, still blows me away how stable and capable the van is with it all in place.

I'm always here to help in any way that we can Smile
Thanks for the compliments on our BMS Radflo suspension system !
Radflo makes the best shocks !!
We just came out with our 2wd Radflo shocks , these are direct bolt on units that feature velocity sensitive valving and are nitrogen charged , ours have IFP technology ,not emulsion foam like the other high end shocks lol
Here's a link for anyone interested :
https://burleymotorsports.net/product/2wd-radflo-shock-system/

BTW this months news letter will feature an article on these new Radflo shocks

I will not see your PM.
Please email us directly through our website at http://www.burleymotorsports.net . Thank you.

Web: http://www.burleymotorsports.net
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/burleymotorsports
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/burleymotorsports
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TurboSyncrobus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

Howdy, sorry so late to the party, but love your build. I am patiently awaiting the delivery of all of my Subarugears AWD conversion parts so that I can do my build. I do have one question about your build that has me very confused tho...you used the Syncro front diff with a Subie 6-speed gearbox, how did you do that? Is the Subie 6-speed available with a 4.86 R/P? If not, how are you running different gear ratios F/R? Another question relates to the cable shifter, was this a custom build by Integrity Auto, or something built specifically for a Vanagon swap...and where from?
My build will be a bit different than yours in that I am converting a WRX 5-speed with a 3.90 R/P that will be driven by a pumped up ALH TDi, and I plan to mount the Subie 3.90 rear diff up front since the axle issue has already been sorted out by various other installers. My Westie has been riding on a 2wd box since my Syncro box and front VC died about 10 years ago, but my desire the convert to TDi has existed that long and so I have been patiently searching/seeking some sort of gearbox options, whether it be aftermarket R/P's for the VW gearbox, or some other mod...then I found the Subarugears swap. As for the cable shift. I've resigned myself to the requirement for cable shift after another broken shift lever left me stranded in traffic up at Lake Tahoe, having to tear out my beautiful custom built console so that I could rig something up to drive the last 70 miles home. Turned out that a 14mm Deep socket fits perfectly over the remaining stub, and a 12'' extension gave me enough of a lever to shift with, although without a spring in the lever I was left without a gate to reverse and thus shifting as a major chore. But enough of my sob story, I have seen a few videos with guys running cable shifters on their vanagon, and I have decided that I will not settle for less since the linkage slop has been one of my only complaints about my Westie in the 27 years that I've owned it...even after a full linkage rebuild about 15 yrs ago. Thanks in advance for any information that you or anyone else on the thread can provide. Cheers.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

4.86 R/P for both the 6 speed and front diff in my van. 4.86 come from Subaru Gears.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
TurboSyncrobus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

Ahh, I wasn't aware that they were doing 4.86...probably also due to the fact that I wasn't really entertaining that ratio with a TDi as it's not a diesel friendly gearset. So what can you tell me about the shifter? Thanks.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

TurboSyncrobus wrote:
Ahh, I wasn't aware that they were doing 4.86...probably also due to the fact that I wasn't really entertaining that ratio with a TDi as it's not a diesel friendly gearset. So what can you tell me about the shifter? Thanks.

The shifter is a headache for me. I mangled a Subaru shifter by trying to flip the shifting pattern and it kind of works. I think you can flip the shifting pattern inside the transmission, so a normal Subaru shifter would work with out a need for moding. Talk to Todd about that one.

Cables are long and the best company I found to make them was Push pull.
P.S. wrap the cables around the trans like OEM and attache to factory mounts. Much easier then the system I made up.

https://push-pull.com/

Cluster Rebuild:

TurboSyncrobus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

Quote:
The shifter is a headache for me. I mangled a Subaru shifter by trying to flip the shifting pattern and it kind of works

I don't mind the different shift pattern, as somebody previously wrote about that subject, "could be a theft deterrent, LOL".
But I've actually been mocking up the cable shifter from the 2000 Beetle TDi donor car, as it looks like I could use it flipped around from its Beetle orientation, which would put the reverse gear in the Subaru position. Also, with the shifter flipped around, makes for a straight in approach for the cables, anchored to the front of the bellcrank assembly that I'm fabbing up, which will be bolted into the two empty holes on the side of the box, and likely some other supports if I can get the basic shifting to engage properly. If I can get the mock-up working then I will definitely look into that much appreciated link to push-pull.com. Who knows, I may be just wasting a bunch of time, but I enjoy the frustration of building something from my hairbrained ideas. Cheers.
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

TurboSyncrobus wrote:
Howdy, sorry so late to the party, but love your build. I am patiently awaiting the delivery of all of my Subarugears AWD conversion parts so that I can do my build. I do have one question about your build that has me very confused tho...you used the Syncro front diff with a Subie 6-speed gearbox, how did you do that? Is the Subie 6-speed available with a 4.86 R/P? If not, how are you running different gear ratios F/R? Another question relates to the cable shifter, was this a custom build by Integrity Auto, or something built specifically for a Vanagon swap...and where from?
My build will be a bit different than yours in that I am converting a WRX 5-speed with a 3.90 R/P that will be driven by a pumped up ALH TDi, and I plan to mount the Subie 3.90 rear diff up front since the axle issue has already been sorted out by various other installers. My Westie has been riding on a 2wd box since my Syncro box and front VC died about 10 years ago, but my desire the convert to TDi has existed that long and so I have been patiently searching/seeking some sort of gearbox options, whether it be aftermarket R/P's for the VW gearbox, or some other mod...then I found the Subarugears swap. As for the cable shift. I've resigned myself to the requirement for cable shift after another broken shift lever left me stranded in traffic up at Lake Tahoe, having to tear out my beautiful custom built console so that I could rig something up to drive the last 70 miles home. Turned out that a 14mm Deep socket fits perfectly over the remaining stub, and a 12'' extension gave me enough of a lever to shift with, although without a spring in the lever I was left without a gate to reverse and thus shifting as a major chore. But enough of my sob story, I have seen a few videos with guys running cable shifters on their vanagon, and I have decided that I will not settle for less since the linkage slop has been one of my only complaints about my Westie in the 27 years that I've owned it...even after a full linkage rebuild about 15 yrs ago. Thanks in advance for any information that you or anyone else on the thread can provide. Cheers.

sorry for the late reply! yes, subaru gears does have a 4:86 and thats what i'm running. the cable shift is a dream, youll love it!
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

today's fun little project. hardwired in an old cell enabled ipad mini. Now its just like a tesla, except slow and with more carbon emissions....

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

I want to do that!

We tried to do it with our old iPad then discovered the non-cell unit has no GPS so it can't run a map.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

today's project, still need to add the stove decals and paint the screws brown. used GW plastic and metal paints with satin clear coat, as well as there laminate. pretty good match. still need to see it in the daylight. It's snowing here so stuck in the shop. Great mod, so much more space. I will be converting the stove to small LP bottles and dropping the big tank. I hardly ever cook inside, just coffee in the morning. Will be putting an air compressor under it for the next project.

human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

well, after much back and forth I've decided that an svx will be the best fit for my beast. easier install than the tdi, great low end torque, easy to work on. I'll be sourcing extra parts to hoard so I can deal with that down side. got my donor rig already!

Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

human compass wrote:
well, after much back and forth I've decided that an svx will be the best fit for my beast. easier install than the tdi, great low end torque, easy to work on. I'll be sourcing extra parts to hoard so I can deal with that down side. got my donor rig already!

Nice plan of action. Have you got any plans for the gearbox & drivetrain to support this beast?
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Syncaru 16 AWD build Reply with quote

Schnippzle wrote:
human compass wrote:

Nice plan of action. Have you got any plans for the gearbox & drivetrain to support this beast?

Welcome to the vanagon rabbit hole.

Cluster Rebuild:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: