Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scintilla Magneto with Solex 30 PICT 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Scintilla Magneto with Solex 30 PICT 2 Reply with quote

Hi guys!

This is my first post as a new VW Beetle owner. It's a 1303 from 1970.

Apparently the engine was changed at some point during its life and it now has the configuration in the topic headline. It hasn't run for several years and it is now mine.

It came with a 009 distributor and a 34 PICT 3 and a coil in the leftover parts box.

I'm used to dealing with dizzies and carbs and coils - but not so sure of magnetos... even though my Dad was a pilot Smile.

My question is this: Should I switch back to a dizzy and coil or see how the magneto pans out?

If I do go the dizzy route with the 34 PICT 3 fit on the same intake manifold as the 30 PICT 2? (the car came with an old manifold as well)

I'm tempted to get rid of the magneto, but I'd like some opinions first... if I go back to a dizzy.

I'll most likely get an electronic SVDA distributor to match the 34 PICT 3.

What are your initial thoughts?

Thabnks!

Fenian
Fenian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Scintilla Magneto with Solext 30 PICT 2 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is what she looks like...
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Scintilla Magneto with Solext 30 PICT 2 Reply with quote

I would run it as is, if the Mag is good. New parts are from China and are crap. Who knows it might have a cam and ported heads and needs the extra spark to rev high. Don't "Fix it" if it's not broke.
Fenian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Scintilla Magneto with Solext 30 PICT 2 Reply with quote

I’ll see if she’s sparking and if I can get her running with the Magolodon first. 👍
Fenian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Scintilla Magneto with Solex 30 PICT 2 Reply with quote

Thanks to the number of technical resources on The Samba I was able to diagnose the problem that was stopping me from starting my 1970 Standard Beetle.

I took Starbucket's advice about not fixing what ain't broken and checked all the main ignition/starter wiring. Someone had removed the main battery + cable from the starter, leaving just the solenoid connected Rolling Eyes

Once that was sorted I dribbled some juice into the carb and got to cranking. Much to my delight it burst into life (not flames) and seemed quite happy.

Mustie1 would've been impressed by my 'will it run' results, as the car had not been started for several years.

Happy bugger here Smile

Next on the list is the master brake cylinder and bleeding the brakes...

Then some welding on the rear cross member and I'll need to seal the floors and give them a coat of Hammerite.

I also need to buy heater hoses... anyone know the OD/ID for these in mm?

Cheers!

Fenian
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Scintilla Magneto with Solex 30 PICT 2 Reply with quote

A problem area with the brakes is the rubber hoses will look good on the outside but the inside will swell closed preventing the fluid to return to the master cyl., so after bleeding a wheel check that spins freely.
Which heater hoses are you talking about, the fan shroud to heater boxes or heater boxes to body?
Fenian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Scintilla Magneto with Solex 30 PICT 2 Reply with quote

Great advice! One of the previous owners looks like he replaced all the brake hoses and lines before getting fed-up with it..

I was thinking of the heater box to body/heater channel fittings.

I've seen several different types along with a metal connection piece that goes through the rear crossmember on both sides.

This set-up is totally new to me, so please forgive the newbie questions Smile
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Scintilla Magneto with Solex 30 PICT 2 Reply with quote

Have you looked under the car to see if there are any heater box's. Some people use 'J' pipes when they hop up their motors, so if you only see tubes connecting #1 and #2 and #3 and #4 cyl.s to the muffler you will need heater box's.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: