Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine number documented on the VW certificate??
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ams69hrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: Engine number documented on the VW certificate?? Reply with quote

Good morning all,

I obtained a certificate from "Volkswagen Classic Parts" for my 1961 beetle. The only downside is that the my original engine number is not documented on the certificate. I would like to have this mentioned as well, since this is important (in my humble opinion at least). I found on the Internet a separate letter written in 2015 stating the chassis- and engine number, also established by "Volkswagen Classic Parts" - sort of complimentary to the certificate.

I contacted "Volkswagen Classic Parts" asking for an additional letter stating my numbers. Their reply was that due to privacy reasons this is not done anymore. I don't get it - what has this got to do with privacy Rolling Eyes ??

Has anyone an idea of how I could obtain a document stating chassis- and engine number? Whom to contact?

Many thanks
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number documented on the VW certificate?? Reply with quote

It is my understanding that if you provide this info, they can confirm if it is the original trans/engine, but no longer willingly give the info out. There is a small percentage of enthusiasts that put a lot of stock into a birth certificate, and it’s usually that percentage that pays the highest price for a vehicle. I guess the certificate issuers are trying to keep people from forging the trans/engine numbers by simply giving out the info. Take it with a grain of salt though. There have been some here on the forum, that are the original owners of their vehicles, that have incorrect certificates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number documented on the VW certificate?? Reply with quote

This is the first I've heard that they will no longer confirm an engine number that you provide. Bummer. Sad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number documented on the VW certificate?? Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
This is the first I've heard that they will no longer confirm an engine number that you provide. Bummer. Sad

No, I think the op is upset it wasn’t provided on the certificate without any mention of what the current number was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number documented on the VW certificate?? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
rcroane wrote:

No, I think the op is upset it wasn’t provided on the certificate without any mention of what the current number was.

you are missing the point. VW is not providing this information anymore. period. If you send in your vin AND your engine number, they will confirm if it is the original engine or not. That's it. This has been the case for at least a decade or 2. keeps peeps from stamping numbers on their engine cases to make them "numbers matching".

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
ams69hrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number documented on the VW certificate?? Reply with quote

Many thanks for your comments! I did provide chassis and engine to "Volkswagen Classic Parts", but they ignored the engine number at all. I asked later to confirm in a separate letter, but negative. OK, I could try again to get a confirmation that my engine is the original one, but I have my doubts seen their previous response. Anyway, kind regards from The Netherlands.
steviewde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number documented on the VW certificate?? Reply with quote

I can confirm it, too.
And the reason is described above.
The word for it is: "matching number"

In the past some owners generated engines with the matching numbers and sold their cars as 100% original, when meanwhile an other engine was built in.

For me; absolutely understandable.

If you order the certificate together with the enigine nummber, than you get the information "matchin number". shown in the picture attached, "Die Motornummer ist seit Tag der Erstauslieferung unverändern". => The engine number is unchanged since day of delivery ex works.

the "Stevie"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number documented on the VW certificate?? Reply with quote

Interesting. This is what they used to provide.

ams69hrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number documented on the VW certificate?? Reply with quote

Stevie, makes sense what you’re writing, it seems though that VW changed their policy. They are NOT supplying additional documents (like the one Robert published), at least that’s what they wrote to me yesterday.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine number documented on the VW certificate?? Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Interesting. This is what they used to provide.

I wasn't as lucky as you were. Crying or Very sad

"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number documented on the VW certificate?? Reply with quote

ams69hrs wrote:
Many thanks for your comments! I did provide chassis and engine to "Volkswagen Classic Parts", but they ignored the engine number at all. I asked later to confirm in a separate letter, but negative. OK, I could try again to get a confirmation that my engine is the original one, but I have my doubts seen their previous response. Anyway, kind regards from The Netherlands.

That is odd, as even as of a few months ago they were confirming if a provided engine number was original. Perhaps they are misunderstanding your request?

ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine number documented on the VW certificate?? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
ams69hrs wrote:

That is odd, as even as of a few months ago they were confirming if a provided engine number was original. Perhaps they are misunderstanding your request?

Harry....I see that they state that the number you provided is original to the car, but how would someone know what that number is? In my case, they provided a letter showing the chassis number and the engine number I provided, and stated that it was the original engine.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine number documented on the VW certificate?? Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:

Harry....I see that they state that the number you provided is original to the car, but how would someone know what that number is? In my case, they provided a letter showing the chassis number and the engine number I provided, and stated that it was the original engine.

That image is from another forum, not from me, but looking on the website, I see you can provide the engine number as part of the submital (and if you have access to the car, you can just look at the engine block for the number to submit). I have not used the new company, myself (I used the museum), so anything I say is a guess.
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
ams69hrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Engine number documented on the VW certificate?? Reply with quote

Harry, I provided the chassis- and engine number twice (1st time: to apply for the certificate and 2nd time to get a separate letter (send them an example dated 2015), which I found on the forum.

Nothing was mentioned on the certificate and for the 2nd they send me the following:

...das Schreiben ist aus 2015. In der Zwischenzeit haben sich die Bestimmungen der Volkswagen AG geändert. Was die Hintergründe sind, entzieht sich meiner Kenntnis.

Translated:
...the letter is from 2015. In the meantime the regulations of Volkswagen AG have changed. I don't know what the background is.

Well I leave for what it is, for now at least. Maybe things are changing again and I might give it another try.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine number documented on the VW certificate?? Reply with quote

ams69hrs wrote:
Harry, I provided the chassis- and engine number twice (1st time: to apply for the certificate and 2nd time to get a separate letter (send them an example dated 2015), which I found on the forum.

Nothing was mentioned on the certificate and for the 2nd they send me the following:

...das Schreiben ist aus 2015. In der Zwischenzeit haben sich die Bestimmungen der Volkswagen AG geändert. Was die Hintergründe sind, entzieht sich meiner Kenntnis.

Translated:
...the letter is from 2015. In the meantime the regulations of Volkswagen AG have changed. I don't know what the background is.

Well I leave for what it is, for now at least. Maybe things are changing again and I might give it another try.

Forget it. Things are getting more rigid here in Germany, especially at VW...
No way back.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: