Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

93 Headlight Replacement - no low beam issue
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
euro93inRI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: 93 Headlight Replacement - no low beam issue Reply with quote

I bought the Bus Depot deluxe kit:

https://www.busdepot.com/701941017kit
E-Code Headlight Upgrade Kit for Eurovan
Improve your visibility with European-spec H4 headlights! Kit includes both headlamp assemblies, German H4 bulbs, and sockets.

We wired up the lights as described..... and no low beams. The high beams work fine. Prior to this, the old lights worked in low and high beam modes.
Oddly, the switch green light now only lights up when the key is not in the ignition/accessory/running.

By reversing the connection from the H4 adapter, so that the low beam wire is plugged into the port in which the high beam connection should go, I get low beams but not high beams.

I will order a new switch, but does anyone have any other suggestions for what could be causing this problem?

Thanks in advance!
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Headlight Replacement - no low beam issue Reply with quote

Double, triple check your wiring. Might have swapped something. Pretty much plug and play
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Headlight Replacement - no low beam issue Reply with quote

I. Just. Finished this before seeing your message.

Both myself and another member had the same issue. I communicated with them too as their thread did not have an update. From January I think.

I imagine you have the same issue we did.

Check the short pigtail (kit intermediate harness with blue connector) between the original bulb connection and the new harness. It has power for low and high beams, and ground (which is not used further.) That low beam power and the unused (ground) wire are swapped into the intermediate black connector. (Or at the blue connector - whichever is easiest to swap for ya). Swap those and your low beams will be back.

I’ll just drop Bus Depot a note to let them know

The low beam wire in the original connector is the yel/blk, high is wht/blk.

Key on for the low beams to come on without the engine running.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Typed from phone...
Cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Headlight Replacement - no low beam issue Reply with quote

Thank you for The color of hi/lo on the original. I can't get Hi beams so I run on low only..93 MV Does anybody know which relay if for Hi/lo?? When you pull the dimmer nothing happens..any help would be great...Bill in Puerto Rico
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Headlight Replacement - no low beam issue Reply with quote

Try pushing the lever down or up for the turn signal and then pull back on it for the dimmer. If that works then the plastic inside broke. That’s why I had to replace my switch was because the piece in the middle was broken out.
sgirard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Headlight Replacement - no low beam issue Reply with quote

Oh man, I just ran into this exact issue yesterday, including the change in behavior with the dashboard toggle, and suspected it might be something with that pigtail. Sure hope it's not the switch in the steering column.
64/71/72/82
--------------
Intro
sgirard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Headlight Replacement - no low beam issue Reply with quote

sgirard wrote:
Oh man, I just ran into this exact issue yesterday, including the change in behavior with the dashboard toggle, and suspected it might be something with that pigtail. Sure hope it's not the switch in the steering column.

Well just to close the loop here, I swapped the leads on the pigtail that connects to the original driver side connection and now both low and high beams work.
64/71/72/82
--------------
Intro
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Headlight Replacement - no low beam issue Reply with quote

Well my problem is simple I think.I have a stock system but only have high beams... Isn't there a hi beam relay on this system? & Where is it.? Both highs work but no click and no lows...I'm afraid to start playing with the relays blinded...Thanks I'll still in Puerto Rico.(my wiring is all shall we say rigged up..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: