Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crazy Times We Live In
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

In 2012 I bought my well-cared-for 1974 bus from the original owners. They thought they got a good deal having owned and used it for 38 years and sold it for twice what they paid for it new. Today a comparable 1974 bus sold on the auction site bringatrailer.com for four times what I paid for mine nine years earlier. A couple of days earlier I saw a 71 Westfalia go for an even crazier sum. I’m finding it much easier to keep up with repairs and maintenance on my bays than keeping up on insured value (I no longer try). I guess the bottom line is that it pays to do whatever it takes to keep them in top shape!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

.......I'm going to assume the '71 has $42k in the glovebox.
or a complete '76 930/4 speed powertrain.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

The 1971 must have some kind of "story". That price is unrealistic.
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

Yes, that is a lot of money for a bus (both of them actually), but you are comparing apples and oranges.

That Westy is probably the nicest I've ever seen.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-volkswagen-bus-35/
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

Quote:
They thought they got a good deal having owned and used it for 38 years and sold it for twice what they paid for it new.

It’s astounding how many people in our society can’t process inflation or future money value.

Talking about our $36,000 house in 1966 is meaningless, in 2021 dollars.
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
They thought they got a good deal having owned and used it for 38 years and sold it for twice what they paid for it new.

It’s astounding how many people in our society can’t process inflation or future money value.

https://smartasset.com/investing/inflation-calculator
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:

You mean the 36k house bought in 1966 that adjusted for inflation is a 295k equivalent today?
Or the 36k house that you put 7.2k down on and financed 28.8k on at 6% for 30 years and paid who knows in taxes on over the last 55 years on, and God knows how much in maintenance and improvements...
Or are you just bitter about the 7.2k in cash that you were planning on putting into Berkshire Hathaway in 1966 but your pregnant girlfriend's father suggested that for your health it would be wiser to buy a house?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

I get offered 35k for my T4 Westie whenever I travel. I paid 30k for it in 2002.

The loss of future value of that 30k today is by far the biggest cost of ownership, roughly $70,000 in 2021 value
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

Is that a misprint? 30k for a bus in 2002? Sure you didn’t mean 3k?
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

And $12 drafts in the pub.
And $20 for a 4-pack of craft beer at the local package store.
Guys waiting in line to pay over $100 for a case of beer, becasuse there's only so many available each day.

$5 won't even buy you one hot dog at Fenway park.

Anyone seen the increase in lumber costs lately?

But everyone seems to have $1000 to get the latest phone with wireless whatever, so they can play farmville and feed their make believe farm animals every day, or some such thing.

Money doesn't go as far as it used to. Just how it is.

The rest of it there's just no explanation for.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

SevenOaks wrote:
In 2012 I bought my well-cared-for 1974 bus from the original owners. They thought they got a good deal having owned and used it for 38 years and sold it for twice what they paid for it new. Today a comparable 1974 bus sold on the auction site bringatrailer.com for four times what I paid for mine nine years earlier. A couple of days earlier I saw a 71 Westfalia go for an even crazier sum. I’m finding it much easier to keep up with repairs and maintenance on my bays than keeping up on insured value (I no longer try). I guess the bottom line is that it pays to do whatever it takes to keep them in top shape!

I was watching those listings as well, and my takeaway is the users of BaT don't have anything better to spend their money on. Just yesterday, this westy sold on eBay for less than that 74 transporter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

My takeaway is that if I (or more likely, my heirs) were to sell my bus I would list it on BaT and not Ebay Very Happy
1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

Good to know. I just finished mine. I could do just a little more (not too much) and it would be just as nice as that one. But to put it in perspective. Go and price yourself a brand new Ford F250 superduty truck. One of those trucks moderately equipped and optioned is much more than what I spent restoring my 71 camper. I'd have much more fun with the camper. Very Happy

SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
Go and price yourself a brand new Ford F250 superduty truck. One of those trucks moderately equipped and optioned is much more than what I spent restoring my 71 camper.

I know what you mean. I sold my F250 to buy my single cab. If inflation was responsible for the rise in values I could have bought a 356 instead Wink
1966 Beetle
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

I mused about some of this in my insurance thread a few weeks back.

I think monetary inflation is responsible for some of it, but I think the biggest thing is just plain old agreed value.

People want Busses. And some people can afford to pay a lot of money for one, so the prices rise across the board. Now people think all busses are worth big money, which drives the prices of truly nice examples up even higher.

I have to try and not worry too much about the condition of mine, other than keeping it in mechanically sound shape. Otherwise I will lose my marbles worrying about the value of it.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

Inflation is certainly a major part of it; as is the crossing of the generations of those interested in Buses is nearing its peak; the nostalgic crowd for obvious reasons and the modern day crowd who have been blasted with Buses through media throughout their life

back to inflation; find an old magazine with new car advertisements; just 10 years ago the same cross over style car selling for 15 is now selling for 30-35
Average car payment in the us is now 565 a month

Lumber; up 400 percent over last year; gas up 40 percent ytd; energy up 15 percent, houses up 16 percent year over year

media will say cpi is only up 2.6 percent, they wont tell you that hard assets absorb inflation in this country because we are the worlds reserve currency

if our currency inflates then it inflates the debt we owe away
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

Housing is always a lousy economic indicator - there are many markets where the average house/average household income has held steady from 1960 (about 2.1). Of course, in the McMansion market has exploded and pulled the national average up, but thats a reflection of more choices.

Cars are capital cost cheaper than they have ever been, Remember, in the 1950s and 1960s you threw your car away after 3 years and bought a new one
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Crazy Times We Live In Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: