Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trailer with matching bus rims... what tires?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurkisMafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Trailer with matching bus rims... what tires? Reply with quote

I bought a very small fiberglass Mullins style trailer to tow with my 78. I’ve got a set of 14” bus rims ready to go for it. My bus has proper 185r14 load rated tires... what type/size tire would you go with on the trailer? The light truck tires are a bit tougher to find and pricier. Any more affordable alternatives? Will likely use the trailer once or twice a year.

Thanks!
1963 Turkis Single Cab, 1600cc
1964 Turkis Standard Walk-Thru, 1641cc
1978 Westfalia 2.0L EFI Automatic

Turkis Mafia
Turkis Mafia Facebook Group

Sunny Sarasota, Florida
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer with matching bus rims... what tires? Reply with quote

I'd go shopping for trailer rated tires, they come in 14"

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer with matching bus rims... what tires? Reply with quote

Danam404 wrote:
I bought a very small fiberglass Mullins style trailer to tow with my 78. I’ve got a set of 14” bus rims ready to go for it. My bus has proper 185r14 load rated tires... what type/size tire would you go with on the trailer? The light truck tires are a bit tougher to find and pricier. Any more affordable alternatives? Will likely use the trailer once or twice a year.

Thanks!

I'd go for the same tyres as is on the bus, then you can use them for spares, or if you are on a trip and only take one spare you can use it on the bus or the trailer.

Yes it'll cost you a little more, but the benefits are huge

Note I am in Australia and on a long road trip I would carry 2 spares just for the van, but since going to 15" rims they are easier to find so only take 1 spare now
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer with matching bus rims... what tires? Reply with quote

There are several 14" trailer only tires available, don't really know what makes them different from car tires though. As mentioned above I would go with tires that you could use on either your van or your trailer.

Why no go back and delete your duplicate thread?
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer with matching bus rims... what tires? Reply with quote

VOLTWAGEN wrote:
Danam404 wrote:

Thanks!

I'd go for the same tyres as is on the bus, then you can use them for spares, or if you are on a trip and only take one spare you can use it on the bus or the trailer.

Yes it'll cost you a little more, but the benefits are huge

Note I am in Australia and on a long road trip I would carry 2 spares just for the van, but since going to 15" rims they are easier to find so only take 1 spare now

I am also in the process of acquiring a modest-sized general-purpose & camping trailer. It's an ERDE 142, unbraked trailer of about 95 kg unladen weight and a payload of about 505 kg, but has small-sized 10 inch wheels. A spare wheel & tyre, is likely to cost about £50. Whether any larger diameter wheels would fit, I have yet to discover.

https://trailers.co.uk/Trailer

https://trailers.co.uk/Trailer/ERDE_Camping

https://trailers.co.uk/Product/0000002750/ERDE_142

If I were heading into the outback of Australia, where one might not encounter a living soul for months at a time, I think I would still take two spare wheels, plus a set of tyre levers and few inner-tubes just for good measure, irrespective of what size tyres I had. I would also pack the engine starting handle as well.as having a second battery.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net

Last edited by NASkeet on Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TurkisMafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer with matching bus rims... what tires? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
There are several 14" trailer only tires available, don't really know what makes them different from car tires though. As mentioned above I would go with tires that you could use on either your van or your trailer.

Did not realize I had a duplicate. Thanks!
1963 Turkis Single Cab, 1600cc
1964 Turkis Standard Walk-Thru, 1641cc
1978 Westfalia 2.0L EFI Automatic

Turkis Mafia
Turkis Mafia Facebook Group

Sunny Sarasota, Florida
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer with matching bus rims... what tires? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

From my experience of using a trailer in the UK well before I emigrated to Australia was that "trailer" tyres were not as good a design, they were cheap as they were made cheap and had a lower max speed rating, I know as I bubbled quite a few (but i was young and going well above the speed limit)

I wouldn't be surprised if "trailer" tyres don't need to meet specific specs/regulations, as they are just trailer tyres

I personally use AT tyres on my trailer, bit of an over kill, but never had a problem yet
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer with matching bus rims... what tires? Reply with quote

if I went to the hassle of swapping the axle (or otherwise converting the axle) on the trailer to run a Volkswagen wheel I would surely run a Volkswagen bus capable tire also. isn't the point of doing the work of swapping the wheel pattern so you can have spares?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: