Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

And finally...this was posted in someone's build (Vee Dub Nut?), but then the picture/link got lost and I found it helpful, so I'm re-posting this...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tiernay TT10 APU gas turbine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

hometurbine wrote:

or the Sunwest, which is about $1400 (inc. ship)

Shocked

seeing a subaru master seal kit (including head gaskets) is about 300 some-odd-dollars i don't see how someone (cough, GEX) could build one of these that cheap.

i have a 130k mile 2.5 here i was going to re-ring for my vanagon project. by the time i bought the updated pistons and rings i was at 700 bux. just made sense to spend the rest of the $$ for a new one.

let me confirm with Jeff Robenolt if this was the place he was having engines done by. his outcome was very poor

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Right on! Nice progress!

Regarding the short block PN's, thanks for finding and reposting the table. That's the one I had found back when I was doing my research. As you correctly stated, the original PN for my 99 Forester was NLA, so I bumped up a few years forward to an 04 Forester short block. The only real difference in my case (like the table suggests) was the crank case ventilation port. For my original 99 short block, it was just a pressed in hose nipple fitting in the case, and for the 04 short block, it was a threaded fitting. I just got the matching 04 threaded PCV valve and called it good. No issues to date at ~10k plus miles on it now.

Good luck with the reman short block. Given the minimal price difference, I would have just went OEM, but so long as the reman was built properly, there should be no problems.

Enjoying the progress, keep it up!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Progress continues.

First had to jack up the rear and put the bus on ramps to get the engine to clear:

Then set about measuring and removing some material here and there to clear the brackets:

Engine is in!
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Awesome, looking great! You're going to love it!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Slowly plodding along. One of the biggest remaining projects is DONE. Some of you may remember my saga with the epoxy primer not curing up (twice Confused ). First time was determined to be a bad batch, and second time because the supplier incorrectly stated that their epoxy primer was compatible with phospho (WRONG). Third time is a charm right?

Media blasted first (pics are in process):

Epoxy primed with awesome stuff from SPI...these guys were SUPER helpful answering my endless calls and questions.

The new paint and clear laid down like glass...makes me want to do the whole bus now with this high quality paint. Sourced it through a local shop who shoots cars for the lowrider scene down here.

Also managed to finish stripping and epoxy priming the gas tank:

Now I'm working on rebuilding the slider windows with new seals and prepping the interior for paint including full sliding door and front door R&R.

I'll get the shift linkage in and engine/trans installed in the next couple of weeks as well.
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Still chipping away at the project.

I abandoned my old gas tank and just pulled the trigger on a new, late-model tank since it already had the return line for the efi. I got tired of trying to contort my fingers into the sender hole to cinch up the pick-up tube that I had fabbed. In hindsight, I could have just welded a return to the tank and been done with it, but I had already POR'd everything and epoxy primed it. Oh well. Put new pads on the tank, new breather hoses/clamps, new weather seal around the firewall and got it all installed with stainless hardware.

I also took the opportunity to cut/waterseal/paint new insulation board for above the engine and re-wrap the original insulation in plastic.

Then I turned my attention to iteration#3 of the shift rod. Originally, I had used the super beetle steering shaft, but with the two u-joints, I felt that there was too much play as they "collapsed" to achieve better alignment. So I hacked an end off and welded an offset from a modified Subarugears part. Here's a quick video. NOTE: the bolts were NOT tightened which is why you can see the slop.

Link

There is still too much wobble at the end of the shift rod...nothing a linear bearing can't fix. Now, with the new setup, it's too tight even with the wobble and makes 5th gear selection difficult, so I will likely go back to the two u-joints and linear bearing as others have done before me.

Lastly, I *may* have gotten a little distracted and decided to see if my new LED headlights from JW Speaker fit. I got an amazing deal on them...they are the 7800 Classic model if you're interested. The fit was nearly perfect, but ultimately no trimming required of the headlights or the bus, so a win-win in my estimation.

One old and one new:

Both new:

Still no wiring harness to check output at night...maybe in a few months.
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Been picking away at the project in a somewhat schizophrenic way.

First off, I've logged a few hours with the TIG machine and decided that thin-walled aluminum is NOT fun.

After burning through a couple tanks of argon, I found my happy place. A bottle of scotch gifted to my Master Welder friend also helped get some insider tips for good welds:

Got the new rad hacked up and welded as well:

Then I turned my attention to the exhaust welding:

I started fabbing up the radiator support brackets from 1.5x2x.25 aluminum angle.

Lastly, I added a six inch section of shift tube to limit slop in the shifter mechanism.
TIGing under a bus was interesting to say the least, but at least it's functional. I burned through in a couple of spots, so I def don't have an issue with weld penetration Laughing I'll seam seal and paint as well as get the shift rod additional bushing added and use dust boots for a stock appearance. Additional pics/vid to follow.

This weekend, I'll also add the coolant ball return bung to the coolant pipe, flare the ends, and then wrap up the bending/welding of the forward radiator mount...then the welding part of the project should be done (at least in terms of the engine).
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

I admire the dedication to your project, it will be a very nice bus at the end, keep up to good work!
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Looking good!! (and familiar Laughing )

Keep it up, you're getting close!

67 Beetle (TBD)

Merling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Any details on the radiator setup (type of rad, detailed pics, etc) would be appreciated. Mine will be months away but would be great to have a thread that details the belly mount radiator with details.
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Looking good!! (and familiar Laughing )

Keep it up, you're getting close!

Imitation is the finest form of flattery. Wink

@Merling, I’ll post details once I get the mounts finalized. I’ll include angles and other measurements, part nos, etc. My project tracker spreadsheet is up to date and you can find a link earlier in the post.
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

More progress today. Finished the rad mounts. I didn’t want to have the rad floating so I added some brackets with 1/8” rubber to hold it all in place.

If anyone is interested, here are some dimensions on the rad mounts. Note: the angles are obviously drawn as inverse (ie 25 degrees = 155 degrees).

To note: the rear mount attaches to the frame rails which are actually pitched at six degrees when viewed vertically.

Lastly, I turned my attention to adding some flares to my coolant piping. I find that I will TIG literally anything I can find an excuse to weld:

panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Size and specs of the fans ?
Merling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

You the man. Thanks to you and everyone else on here who keeps the builds gong.
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Size and specs of the fans ?

Here you go: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPU-IX-30102045
They are 13” SPAL pushers. 1,682 cfm. Roughly 20A current draw each.
Note that I added a link in my signature to the part/cost tracker spreadsheet so those who are interested have a complete parts list.
scirocco_crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

can you feel the wind in your hair driving the bus? its getting close. The finish is always the hardest.
Current Build 1976 VW Bus Subaru with EZ36 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9443081#9443081
Second Current Build 1979 Porsche 911SC
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10117349#10117349
Previous Builds 78 Westy with matching trailer
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=589790&highlight=westy
78 Bay with Acura 3.2 Type S engine
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516038&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Quote:
can you feel the wind in your hair driving the bus? its getting close. The finish is always the hardest.

I wish. We’re about to move out of state so the bus project will be on the back burner for a few months. Good news is that finding a house with a garage is a non-negotiable!

Best part is we have a free place to stay while we house hunt. The only catch is that in exchange for free housing, I have to fix up this bus:

There are worse situations to be in… Very Happy
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Jeff,
...ah, so you did decide to move. Good luck! It gives me a chance to catch up to you.

Tangent related to conversion-->Two quick questions for conversion crowd:

1) Busaru engine support bar. I have a '75 bus, VW 091 transmission, KEP adapter plate ~5/8 inch thick, EJ25. This seems to be a pretty common set-up. However when I install the engine cross-member support bar, it overlaps the vertical stiffening brackets (I think earlier buses don't have those as wide). Even if I twist the bar aft, it doesn't seem to clear them. Is my position wrong (not sure how)? Oh, and I have new OEM mounts. Anyone have better pictures for comparison?

2) Evaporation line: What are others doing with this? Are you using the Subaru charcoal canister or other?

Oh, just noticed I have to change my signature...the VW engine is gone!
Thanks
Bill
Tiernay TT10 APU gas turbine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Hey Bill,

I picked up a VW canister from Pelican Parts. Part #: 1H0-201-801-C-M350. One end goes to the evap line on the Subaru fuel rail and the other ties into the vent lines which have been teed. The third inlet is open to atmosphere but could also be fed into the air intake. Unfortunately I don't have any pics yet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: