Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reverse light switch?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reverse light switch? Reply with quote

I'm about 75% done with rewiring my 72 but am having a hell of a time figuring out were to wire the reverse light switch! The last dolt that owned it apparently had no need of the lights so he yanked the wires.

Anyone have a clue where they attach?
UncleBob
Grease Midget

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reverse light switch? Reply with quote

Tranny.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reverse light switch? Reply with quote

the switch is on the front of the nosecone, passenger side... has 2 spade connections...

run one wire to the positive side of the coil with an inline fuse of 8 amps

hook the second wire to the reverse light harness ( a plastic plug in coming out the back of the tarboard insulation betwwen the firewall and fan housing.)

if that is... it is still intact, damn butchers!Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Reverse light switch? Reply with quote

Thanks clay, thanks keifernet. All the original wires were torn out. I just coludn't handle my tail lights being spliced by speaker wire *shudder*. I just had a hard time finding where the reverselight wires went into the switch.
justbuggin
Resident Brit

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Reverse light switch? Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack your thread darkminstrel... but that reverse wire that comes out of the tarboard: is does it have a small round 2 pin plug on it? If so, then you just solved a minor mystery for me, as to what that little plug was for. I too have no reverse lamps. There must be more than one bug butcher around.

Rob S ;o)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reverse light switch? Reply with quote

My harness was bought new 2 days ago, I have a blue wire coming from the reverse light spade on each side. These get spliced to an interim connector. On the other side of that connector is a black wire for each light. Apparently this connector goes to the front of the tranny where the actualy reverse light switch is.

As far as your 2 pin plug goes, it sounds right. 2 pins, 2 lights, 2 wires to the switch.

Try tracing the wire back under the car. If it comes out onto the transmission there ya go.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reverse light switch? Reply with quote

Justbugin, what year you talking about?, It sounds like a later model and no I do not think the round connector your referring too is for reverse lights...
sounds like something else, like the tach hookup for a latermadel engine with the "VW factory diagnostic box"

the reverse light connection is plastic that has usallly turned yellow/grundgy with age and heat and is one wire into 2 wire deal...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch? Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
the switch is on the front of the nosecone, passenger side... has 2 spade connections...

run one wire to the positive side of the coil with an inline fuse of 8 amps

hook the second wire to the reverse light harness ( a plastic plug in coming out the back of the tarboard insulation betwwen the firewall and fan housing.)

if that is... it is still intact, damn butchers!Very Happy

I have a 62 on the 2nd wire do you split the wire to go to the reverse lights. I would have to add since my wiring loom is not a 67
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch? Reply with quote

"Technical" button at upper right of this same website page. Left click on that and the next page scroll down to the "Technical Instruction Manuals" column. In that column is the "Technical Bulletins", left click on that. Next webpage there is a list of all sorts of COOL stuff. Left click on the "Electrical System E" section and explore. Enjoy!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch? Reply with quote

Also good reading:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=341025&highlight=reverse+light+switch
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: