Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

June '68 Manx Period Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

matthewl wrote:
So what motor is going on it? Did you get enough parts to build a manx power copy?

Yes! Doing a Manxpower 75. Found a great dual relief 40hp OEM case to build around. All the parts are at the engine builder right now!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Roscoe wrote:
Wow.. looking fantastic Caleb👍🏼
Didn’t realize those Bosch 6volts existed. Nice touch!

Thanks! They are only available in Europe. I had this one shipped from Germany and it wasn’t cheap with the exchange rate. But I thought it would be a nice touch!

https://www.tyrepress.com/2014/06/bosch-reintroduces-classic-battery-design/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

This last week was insane with work so I haven't had much time to work on the buggy. Did get the wire harness installed on the body. I used a Rebel harness and all of the wires are covered with a vintage wire loom. It looks really good up close. The body is now ready to go on!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by calebmelvin on Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Things have been slow going the last couple weeks. Between work and waiting for parts, I haven't done much. I did get my newly restored plates that were original to the buggy. Can't wait to finally get them on!

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

The beam is in! Fully rebuilt and shiny. Started hooking up the brakes. Hoping to get the tranny in next weekend after a hiccup with the nose cone.

Last edited by calebmelvin on Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Looking great man! Clean👍🏼
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

calebmelvin wrote:
Got the Select-A-Traction and Hurst installed. Still need to find a wood shift ball for it though! Here are the instructions for installing the select-a-traction if anyone happens to need them in the future.

Very interesting car! Keep up with the good work you are doing on it

I have the exact same Select-A-Traction system on my Spanish built Hispano Aleman buggy. My levers are chromed. I am very curious about the whole system. Do you have more info?

52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

ruvwen wrote:
I have the exact same Select-A-Traction system on my Spanish built Hispano Aleman buggy. My levers are chromed. I am very curious about the whole system. Do you have more info?

The levers were made by Crown Manufacturing and sold as an accessory by B. F. Meyers & Co. I'm still absolutely convinced your buggy is a Manx 2, but oh well.

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
ruvwen wrote:

The levers were made by Crown Manufacturing and sold as an accessory by B. F. Meyers & Co. I'm still absolutely convinced your buggy is a Manx 2, but oh well.

They came in painted and chrome!
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

recently SOLD our "OldManx" built in 1965 & about 95% original......$20K...CASH

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

mr_bill wrote:

recently SOLD our "OldManx" built in 1965 & about 95% original......$20K...CASH

Man I loved your Manx so much!!
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Got my parts back from powder coat this week. First up, some original hardware! I am trying to use as much as the original hardware that is savable. The front z-brackets and rear supports went on today!

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Finally dove into glassing on the dash to the hood. Probably my least favorite project on a buggy. It is on now though! Really hoping to get the pan rolling this week and possibly get the body on next weekend.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

How are you going to keep the signature from fading? I'm using a clear film on the body, but I'm wanting to protect the one on the dash with out making the dash shiny by using a clear coat.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

matthewl wrote:
How are you going to keep the signature from fading? I'm using a clear film on the body, but I'm wanting to protect the one on the dash with out making the dash shiny by using a clear coat.

I haven't really decided yet either. I think a clear coat would be best but I don't want shiny either. Ugh.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Finally got the transmission in! That took longer than expected. The original owner had replaced it at some point with a split case one, and had cut/moved the front mount up to make it work. I had to find a bus nose cone to get it to mount...but it works now. Wheels and tires are on and it is rolling! Brake lines are mostly in also. Still need to do a few small things but the body is closer to going on.

squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Popcorn
Marlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Fantastic job you are doing on your build.
Congratulations on becoming the new editor of Manx Mania!
I know you will do a great job,thanks for stepping up for us!
Manx102
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

I agree with Marlin... thank you so much.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Caleb!

Two things-

Thanks for taking on the Manx Mania editorial mountain!

and

Your Manx is a period restoration-ITS WAY TOO CLEAN!! Most of the buggies I remember were parted together from the junkyard and spray painted over-except for the bodies. We could only afford things from JC Whitney and Off Road Advertiser back then!

oh, one more-it will be awesome!
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: