Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

You need to have enough meat on the clip bosses to drill a small hole in each side of the boss and run a half clevis pin or a brad through that catches the clip on the inside. The later distributors have enough material to do this the earlier ones like yours do not. Might want to source a different housing with the clips still attached. The clips look ok once plated but they were originally black oxide I believe.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Black & Silver Attack. No, not the LA Raiders but VW parts painted and ready to be assembled. Spent Saturday spraying Satin Black and Silver Acrylic Urethane. Very pleased with the results. (Also sprayed High Tem Grey on the heater boxes and muffler) (And you can piece together the wreck that my back yard is... Smile )

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As soon as my fasteners get back from Zinc (and sorted) i can start putting things together. I also plan to pull my control arms and change out the seals before i put the beam back together.

Some chassis work. Some of the WW brake lines are a little longer than my originals. Had to make the "loops" a little taller. No big deal.

Spent alot of time cleaning out the various tubes in the chassis from decades of grease and sand blast media. What a mess there. Also left water in my gas line overnight to check for leaks. (For some reason by Grandfather had bypassed it decades ago.) No leaks found. here is an image from inside.

That is all for now.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
64 bug nice used front/rear Black RHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

An update.

Body is coming along. Roof is now stripped., Front end is straight, all four fender wells are done. Rear window rust area repaired. Found some new rust in the front window area. Things i bondo's over when i was 15 and do not remember any more. Fun stuff.

Body should be fully painted in 3 weeks.

We also found Bondo in the roof from filling in layers of paint. What was i thinking back then. Once stripped the roof was super clean. The things a 15 year old does.

Very impressed with how the front end straighten out. I would never have been able to do that. Guess i can sell of my donor front clip and hood now.

I did make him re-do one area. The gap for the drivers side hinge was too big. The repro sheet metal was not quite right. Fixed now.

You may wonder why the undercoat. My car had that originally. Keeping it to also help with road noise. I will also install matting inside the cab too.

I had all my hardware zinc plated. Why. Clean and too much work to do by hand. Now i get to play "where's Waldo" and find the right fastener for each part. I took pictures of everything before i separated them.

Because i am who i am i went down the rabbit hole of "What color should the fasteners be". I started a thread for this.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=752564

Some good discussion and my conclusion was the front beam and rear axle were assembled and painted black as a whole. Bolts and all. From there when parts were installed they could be Black Oxide, Painted or Zinc. I looked at 5 different low mile bugs to reach my conclusion. This means that some of my bolts will go back into acid to strip the zinc and get painted. Details....

Lets talk tires. Nationwide shortage on 155R15. I have bought them 5 times now and all but one was cancelled by the seller. I think i have two tires on the way. Frustrating. Looks like late June before i get shoes.

In the meantime i have been putting together small parts. It is amazing how fast i forget now days how i took things apart. I am getting old.

Struggling with the generator. Cannot find the right combination to allow the rotor to spin. Next step is to take out the windings and install just the guides to make sure all is OK there and then figure out why the windings are shifting things. Fun stuff.

Until next time.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dave conklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Really enjoying this. What a great car to start with… You California boys are spoiled.
My favorite VW color and a sunroof… Can’t wait to see this done
vwtoby64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Great thread for a great car! Excellent attention to detail!

Collector of all things Hazet.

For guidance on Hazet toolkits: Hazetguide.com

1964 Ruby red sedan
1962 Yukon yellow convertible
2018 Black Tiguan SEL Premium
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Little slow the last few weeks. Took a Canoe trip down the Colorado River and promptly got sick when i got home. Fortunately work has marched on with the body.

Pretty much the entire car is in Epoxy primer now with all welding and major body work done. Body should be painted and done in about 2 weeks.

Finally figured out the winding mount alignment on my generator. I foolishly thought they were interchangeable. They are not. After mapping out all the possible mounting configurations (There are eight) i started to work through them. Also ended up trashing the set of special slotted screws i bought. Good thing i bought extras. Main issue was no driver anywhere near large enough. They would cam out after awhile. Took a piece of .100 A2 tool steel and made a driver to be used with vice grips. Worked great. (Yes i twisted the A2 in the process still and Loctite was applied)

Generator assembled. Lost a few screws though so have to find something close or cannibalize another generator.

Where do you store painted parts and parts waiting to be installed. On top of the bus of course and all over the shed and anywhere else i can find.

Next update should have an interior painted...

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Where do you store painted parts and parts waiting to be installed. On top of the bus of course and all over the shed and anywhere else i can find.

That's how I lose parts! Smile
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
matthew henricks wrote:

That's how I lose parts! Smile

make a dedicated shelf. thats what i did. havent lost a single part
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Understand loosing parts. When i was young i could remember where i put it and how it came apart. Now pictures and I bagged and tagged everythning when taking it off.

I know i will come up missing some screws and washers. The challenge i guess is once a part is painted but the chassis and body are not ready you have to get creative. My shed has painted parts hanging all over it...

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Blue Paint! Still has not been rubbed out.

I opted to coat the inside with rhino coating to help kill sound and then painted blue over it.

The rest of the shell will be painted tomorrow. I should get the shell back in a week. Very excited.

Finished the Carb and distributor rebuilds. Turned out very nice IMO. I realize i need to paint the clips black. I also need to paint the voltage regulator top black too. Did them both wrong in zinc. Oh well...

Also re-visting the zinc plating on the vacuum advance. I can confirm that the baffle is working fine so my sealing of it worked well to re-plate.

I think i have taken apart far too many carbs and fuel pumps in my life. My spare parts box. And i have a box of carbs and pumps intact too. I have too much junk.

Got my sticker set too. Nice new L360 Sea Blau sticker and all.

Starting to make a running list of all the small parts i am missing. How do you guys go about getting the word out of small obscure parts you are looking for and want to avoid paying gold to find them?

Here is my list so far.

1x Rear drum oil slinger
1x quality front window
1x generator brush spring screw
1x 64/65 sunroof crank handle return spring
1x factory jack assembly clip.
1x 6V short coil dated close to 64
1x 28PICT-1 carb mount stud
1x driver side sunroof cable guide. (Inner guide)
1x distributor shaft seal

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

The paint looks good! Even over the Rhino lining!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
offtherailz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I agree, the colour looks fantastic. Good news on the vac can working.
Re the small parts, I’ve found over the years the best place for those bits is the trade stands at VW shows. They’re always guys clearing out parts they have accumulated over the years, much like your box of pumps etc, that they cart around from event to event, and hopefully this year we may see some VW events back!

Cuppa tea man, living in a latte world.

1973 1303, one previous owner, my Dad
1975 1303, Fourth owner, mum 1975 to 2014, me from 2017
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711269&highlight=
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740901
Airstream65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Your car is looking great!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I like all the pictures. 😀 Pics don’t lie.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Just stopped by the body shop and the rest of the body is getting color today! Should have pictures up by Monday.

Next weekend that means we plan car swap. Move the body to storage to let the paint cure, move the 64 Nova back to the body shop and set up the chassis and start putting it together.

I am storing my body man's nova to make room for him to work on my bug. 64 post model with a complete LT5 Corvette undercarriage. It is sweet.

Maybe some assembly coming soon. (OK... Still this is a year long project...)

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
pittbull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Amazing project, keep it going!
69judson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Very Happy Fantastic build. Lot`s of great information.
Tennessee Steinmetz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Can you share where you got the sticker set from.

matthew henricks wrote:

Got my sticker set too. Nice new L360 Sea Blau sticker and all.

l
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

PM sent about stickers Tennessee Steinmetz

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

As promised the body is 100% Sea Blue now. Was not able to roll it out in the sun though as it was cold and the paint was drying slow. Unfortunately we found a major ripple in the roof so it will get painted again.

Spend Saturday on the chassis. Painted some fasteners black along with a few small parts. Applied some 3M sound deadener and painted the bottom of the chassis with Rapter undercoat. Also installed one piece axle boots.

Black bolts. I bead blasted the zinc to clean and roughen up. then applied some self etching primer and then satin black paint. I did this after me research on factory bolts. A few of these should have been black oxide but painted will be fine. Challenge will be to not chip the paint when installing.

3M material. I had also looked at Noico. I was looking for something that had the similar original VW pattern. The Noico is just aluminum painted black. The 3M is black. Not super hard to apply. Easy to roll out your mistakes. Downside is you can only get 20" x 20" pieces in the USA so you have to piece it together.

Because i have my axle tubes off i went with 1 piece boots. You can stretch them over the inner disk if you heat them up and use a couple of screw drivers for leverage. Easy to do. Quote a few Youtubes on this.

Last was to undercoat the chassis. Same material we used inside the body and fender wells. Looks very similar to the dealer undercoat. (Truth be told i also used it to seal up a few holes that appeared after the chassis was powder coated. Put a little JB weld in the pin holes and then seal it with this stuff) Below is before and after.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 29

Jump to: