Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear hatch door latch (photos included)
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

All-

First time doing a latch install. Been trying to find out what I am missing. Two part question actually.

Question 1 - Notice in the 1st photo the two latches I have from the PO. I assume one goes to the engine door and the other the top rear hatch door.

I put in the latch I think is correct as it is bigger. 2nd photo I show the hole and the 3rd photo I show the latch in the hole.
Notice it does not even come close to pushing the level to unhook from the latch plate; photo 4.

Question 2 - in the 5th photo I show on the sides where it appears, based on a diagram on Wolfsburg West a hatch strike plate. I assume I just need to buy two of them for each side.

Thank you for any insight.
-Mark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

On the latch question you have to install the ell thingy to turn the lock to hit the side of the lever. Then to unlock the ell thingy turns 180 away from before.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

Thank you Barry... I did assume there was another part. I'll search the photos for one. I have a pile of parts from the PO but not knowing what it looks like, I need to see one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

The one on the right looks like the latch on the Plump Truck ( ‘68 single cab ) Think
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

Hi pryOman that is interesting. I of course received a box of mixed items from the PO. This is my first bus resto, so trying to figure all these things out.
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

using the key If you turn the cam 90 degrees (clockwise from the pic view) and press the button, will the door unlatch? The cam should press on the piece of metal by your finger. I may be referring to the cam incorrectly, but its the thing that screws into the end of the lock cylinder.

Going from memory, but from the pic it looks to be locked now, where pressing the button doesn't do anything. When you unlock it, it should line up with the latch mechanism and open the door.

markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

Hi dschup... I will try that tonight when I am home... thank you..
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

I'm going to look at mine tonight when I get home as well to make sure I gave you good advice...
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

Appreciated.... thanks again.... I did look for a diagram (side view blow up) of all the components, but nothing yet.
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

www.oacdp.org

markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

Now that is quite a cache of data... thanks dmuis
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

Here is an ad for the hatch side alignment wedges you need.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2345522
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
Thank you Barry... I did assume there was another part. I'll search the photos for one. I have a pile of parts from the PO but not knowing what it looks like, I need to see one.

You have the ell part already on your push button. You just need the key to turn it to "open" . I also think you need to reorient the ell 90 degrees so the key comes out and in correctly

Here's a picture of my "ell" "cam" tab thingy.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

Thanks Barry. I did have the key and I did turn it. No-go. I am going to unscrew the mechanism to see what else could be the issue.

I also might buy a new latch lock as there were more than one in the box from the PO and this one might just not be for my 66.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

It kinda looks like your ell-cam is broken on the tip. If it were longer would it trigger the latch by pushing? Reason I ask is mine has a jog that makes it closer but mine is not the same year as yours.
ted698
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

Sorry to drag up an older thread, but no-one seemed to answer this one - on the rear catches the longer finger pull is Split, stubby finger pull is Bay window.
But both will fit & work.

markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

Thank you Ted.... I did end up getting it on correctly with the one you pointed out.
Zmillares
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

Anyone know where I can purchase that ell part
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch door latch (photos included) Reply with quote

Try Wolfsburg West https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: