Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Campmobile Propane Tank Parts
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: 74 Campmobile Propane Tank Parts Reply with quote

I'm wanting to get my propane system operational on my 74 Deluxe Campmobile. I've had the bus about 15 years and have never attempted to see if it was operational. I wasn't even certain if it was functional if modern regulations would allow it to be filled. Yesterday I called a place and they said, Sure! Bring it by! I wanted to put some propane in the tank and check for leaks.
The first problem showed up when he started to fill it up. The bleeder valve was missing. He had one that fit anf put abput a gallom of propane in the tank.
No obvious leaks so I drove it home for further testing. As soon as I turned the propane faucet to turn on the propane... major leak. Doesn't leak when its off, but leaks a lot with it turned on.
In retrospect I should have replaced all the parts and THEN tested it. But I didn't so I'm stuck with a couple problems.
1. Any recommendations where I can purchase a shut off valve and a single stage regulator? I've checked a few local and online sources and have had no luck.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll replace the hose too, but I figure I should be able t find that locally. The next question is how do I get rid of the propane in the tank without blowing up the neighborhood? Could I drive to a remote open area and just open the valve and let it all leak out?
cml039
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Campmobile Propane Tank Parts Reply with quote

Anyplace that deals in gas, like welding suppliers, can pressure test, clean, and certify your tank for refilling. They'll also have new valves, etc. They do this kind of stuff all the time.
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Campmobile Propane Tank Parts Reply with quote

Found a place. Unforetunately the earliest appt is May 18> Scheduled and will continue to look for somewhere I can get in earlier.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Campmobile Propane Tank Parts Reply with quote

There’s a guy in IL that has all the parts you need, he advertises here on the Samba. I bought a new valve and some other stuff from him to rebuild my tank. Do a search, you’ll find him.
Best way to get rid of the propane is as you suggest, park in a field and let it escape. Suggest disconnecting battery first, don’t smoke!
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Campmobile Propane Tank Parts Reply with quote

Hmmm. Searched the classifieds for "propane parts, propane Regulator" in Illinois and also in "all" and nothing comes up
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Campmobile Propane Tank Parts Reply with quote

Google PPL RV parts in Florida. I found them in old posts, under “propane tank”.
Bob
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Campmobile Propane Tank Parts Reply with quote

I finally redid all the fittings on my '79 tank last month. The hardest part was removing the old bits from the tank. Works great now and no problems filling. I think it took 2 gallons from completely vented.

bought this kit. made in USA.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Propane-Cylinder-Tank-Val...Sw4Lle9NHP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Campmobile Propane Tank Parts Reply with quote

When you're ready for new stickers, get them here:
https://www.ericarnoldphotography.com/store/vwpropanestickers

My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Campmobile Propane Tank Parts Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
I finally redid all the fittings on my '79 tank last month. The hardest part was removing the old bits from the tank. Works great now and no problems filling. I think it took 2 gallons from completely vented.

bought this kit. made in USA.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Propane-Cylinder-Tank-Val...Sw4Lle9NHP

Thanks for the link. I'm going to give Nash Fuel a call tomorrow. I don't think a 2 stage Regulator will fit with my bracket. Do you have a photo with the new kit installed? Can you tell me what fitting connects the hose from the Regulator to the propane stove?
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Campmobile Propane Tank Parts Reply with quote

Don't troubleshoot with propane. Get a proper air pressure test. LP can be a nasty fuel if you have a leak in an enclosed area.
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Campmobile Propane Tank Parts Reply with quote

Yes, I hear what you're saying. I think I will just be patient and have it tested and repaired by a professional. My appointment is in a month and that's still plenty early to be ready before camping season in the NW.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Campmobile Propane Tank Parts Reply with quote

beautiful new fittings on my tank. no problem with clearance. that protective panel is attached with nuts and bolts and can adjusted accordingly.

I had the hose for the stove remade using the original as a template years ago. It attaches to the end of the regulator with a 90 degree fitting. something like this.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Campmobile Propane Tank Parts Reply with quote

I decided to take my bus to an RV repair shop to get my propane system working. After weeks of waiting my appointment is finally tomorrow. While I want to get the original Westy tank functional, I was curious about there was a way of having the option to hook up an external BBQ style propane tank too? It would be great to have the option. I'll ask the guy tomorrow but was just curious if anyone had there's set up that way?
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Campmobile Propane Tank Parts Reply with quote

I decided to take my bus to an RV repair shop to get my propane system working. After weeks of waiting my appointment is finally tomorrow. While I want to get the original Westy tank functional, I was curious about there was a way of having the option to hook up an external BBQ style propane tank too? It would be great to have the option. I'll ask the guy tomorrow but was just curious if anyone had there's set up that way?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Campmobile Propane Tank Parts Reply with quote

dr8track wrote:

I know there's a term or phrase for it, I've heard it here on Samba, along with the fitting kit that's needed to do that. It's like you thought, longer stays at a campground, with aux propane tank hooked into your system to be able to keep cooking, heating, etc, longer than what a stock tank can provide.
Found 1 example, Extend a Stay Kit- it IS for the Vanagons and not a Bay Bus, but maybe there's something out there for a Bay Tank System.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/-/23927/extend-a-stay-kit-for-gowesty-larger-capacity-lp-tank-?v=
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Campmobile Propane Tank Parts Reply with quote

I did end up having the extra fittings added to accommodate both the small Coleman bottles as well as the big BBQ propane tank. Of course the original tank can be used also.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: