Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 510, 511, 512 ... 533, 534, 535  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

a smith wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
notchboy wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:
Are these Covid prices?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2460275

Sanded down patina is not patina - it's sanded down paint, aka "fauxtina"

Rust and shit paint do not add value to a car ultimately and the exceptions are few. Having stainless steel doors on your fridge does not make it a sub zero. Laughing This also has a laundry list of PO changes not in line with a 64.

Agreed. Why didn't they finish repairing the right rear fender, and color match it to the good paint? Isn't that what body shops do? Seems kind of stupid to screw up the existing nice paint (fauxtina it) and clear coat it with a crappy job.
Is the guy from the Methford area? Not sure where Grants Pass is in Oregon.

Methford??? Really........ I'm sure your town is free of all narcotics. For the record Grants Pass is about 30min from Medford.

Laughing Laughing

Its ok man. I hail from Escondildo. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
a smith wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
notchboy wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:
Are these Covid prices?

Rust and shit paint do not add value to a car ultimately and the exceptions are few. Having stainless steel doors on your fridge does not make it a sub zero. Laughing This also has a laundry list of PO changes not in line with a 64.

Agreed. Why didn't they finish repairing the right rear fender, and color match it to the good paint? Isn't that what body shops do? Seems kind of stupid to screw up the existing nice paint (fauxtina it) and clear coat it with a crappy job.

Methford??? Really........ I'm sure your town is free of all narcotics. For the record Grants Pass is about 30min from Medford.

Laughing Laughing

Its ok man. I hail from Escondildo. Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

a smith wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
notchboy wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:
Are these Covid prices?

Sorry about that. I've heard it referenced that way by multiple people. Living across the river from Canada I probably have no place to say 1 way or another. I already know there's plenty of drugs in town, as we've got plenty of crack priced junk for sale too.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
a smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
a smith wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
notchboy wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:
Are these Covid prices?

Sorry about that. I've heard it referenced that way by multiple people. Living across the river from Canada I probably have no place to say 1 way or another. I already know there's plenty of drugs in town, as we've got plenty of crack priced junk for sale too.

Confused Laughing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2266070

I dont think we are quite there yet. Laughing Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
knewknew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Yikes. ...and whats up with those photos? Looks like the dude took those carbs down to the mall for some 'glamor shots'.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

knewknew wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Yikes. ...and whats up with those photos? Looks like the dude took those carbs down to the mall for some 'glamor shots'.

Very Happy Greasy camera lens?

It can't be that rare, there's another one on eBay right now for less...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393225828550

Shipping is $$$ though
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

1969 Notchback Automatic with 23k miles for $29,750

https://oldbug.com/tiffthom69.htm

Comments?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

It looks super nice in the photos.

I see it's from Chicago, a snowy and possibly rusty area, and I can tell it has some surface rust in places underneath that would be common to areas like that, even for a low mileage car.

It looks solid with no rust but since it's been repainted once, I feel like you would want to examine the rockers and other normal rusty places like the bottoms of the front fenders just to be safe.

I'm surprised the dash is cracked on such a low mileage car but I think you could find a late-model dash for it.

Any specific questions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I see it's from Chicago, a snowy and possibly rusty area, and I can tell it has some surface rust in places underneath that would be common to areas like that, even for a low mileage car.

It looks solid with no rust but since it's been repainted once, I feel like you would want to examine the rockers and other normal rusty places like the bottoms of the front fenders just to be safe.

I'm surprised the dash is cracked on such a low mileage car but I think you could find a late-model dash for it.

Any specific questions?

What was the bent line with hose section up front in the under car shot (pic 12?) all about? I can't really think of anything that would normally be there, unless it's for the gas heater. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful car, and you could easily dump almost that much into making a nice car. Especially if you're having a shop do the work.

Definitely look at the rockers, that's a given on these cars from anywhere in the US and Canada. A very common rust spot irregardless.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Any specific questions?

What was the bent line with hose section up front in the under car shot (pic 12?) all about? I can't really think of anything that would normally be there, unless it's for the gas heater. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful car, and you could easily dump almost that much into making a nice car. Especially if you're having a shop do the work.

Definitely look at the rockers, that's a given on these cars from anywhere in the US and Canada. A very common rust spot irregardless.

Pic 12
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the left? I thought that was the brake line, although it looks a bit crooked. Caliper does look new, I wonder if they used a proper Type 3 one.

In the center? Not sure, could be the fuel feed for the gas heater from underneath like you said?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Any specific questions?

Pic 12

On the left? I thought that was the brake line, although it looks a bit crooked. Caliper does look new, I wonder if they used a proper Type 3 one.

In the center? Not sure, could be the fuel feed for the gas heater from underneath like you said?

It was the pic before that one. But now that you mentioned it, I wonder if they did use the correct type 3 calipers.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://vermont.craigslist.org/pts/d/ludlow-vw-el-camino/7305943974.html

Not really a whine, just thought I'd share this w/ you type 3 folks.....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Damn for $550 can you at least wipe the smegma off your damn camera lens?? Fuck's sake.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Damn for $550 can you at least wipe the smegma off your damn camera lens?? Fuck's sake.

As far as pics are concerned now a days - most cell phones don't pimp a cameras ability. More on the other amazing things they can do outside of that. I chose a Google - Android because of its stellar camera. Its now 3 years old and takes better quality pics than most new phones. Just an insight to peoples capabilities. Wink

Zoom in on that mofo. Looks like finger prints as if I touched it too early after paint. Not, just the machine marks in the metal. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2469405

Really? 200 euros for dome lights? Not even 200 pesos I would pay.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2470401

32k and they can't even paint the trunk or put bumpers on it. Either they got the best crack on the market, or type 3 pricing is going crazy.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

lawn ninja wrote:

32k and they can't even paint the trunk or put bumpers on it. Either they got the best crack on the market, or type 3 pricing is going crazy.

I didn't even notice the price when I saw that, I thought it was a car in primer and didn't look at the ad

The Ad wrote:
All new 8 CV joints

8? I'm confused
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

lawn ninja wrote:

It would have been nice to see a pic of the engine. The dual 34mm Weber side draft carbs would be interesting to see.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

lawn ninja wrote:

Did they remove or paint over the fender beading?

And is it flat or gloss?

This is a perfect example of what happens when you deviate from stock. To him, it's a great car, and exactly what he wanted it made into. So it's worth a lot... to him. If he kept it, I'm sure he and his friends would love and praise the car, and rightfully so.

But to a buyer, unless they have exactly the same tastes, this is the starting point for a proper restoration, which could easily take another $5K, and be worth $15-20K if done exceptionally well. So it's worth $10-15K now, not $32K. We are years away from any late fastback being worth over $30K. And by then maybe gasoline cars will be banned from most roads, making values plummet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 510, 511, 512 ... 533, 534, 535  Next
Jump to:
Page 511 of 535

Jump to: